Server Basics / Server Help FAQ [WIP]

CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_8/22/14 11:41 pm
1 emeralds 295 5
8/31/2014 7:35 am
CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_
Server Basics/ Server Help FAQ [WIP]

As I've looked around the Server Help section, I've noticed a few different topics that come up quite often, so I decided to make this thread in order to possibly save you a little time! Here you'll find answers/links to answers concerning these popular problems, along with basic info about servers and how to start one up! I hope it's of help!

Table of Contents:
Server Basics
Server Help FAQ
Changelog

woohoo
CalPal_
Level 38 : Artisan Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

fadel
08/28/2014 11:24 am
Level 20 : Expert Miner
Great job! Really good tutorial!
CalPal_
08/31/2014 7:35 am
Thanks!
CalPal_
08/27/2014 8:09 pm
Changelog:

8/28/14: Added quite a lot to the "Server Basics" section.

8/27/14: Added "General Permissions Help," more stuff in the "Things You Probably Shouldn't Post."

8/23/14: Added "Can't Connect To LAN Section," added solutions to MOTD verification errors.
CalPal_
08/27/2014 3:34 pm
Sever FAQ

Things You Probably Shouldn't Post in the Server Help Section:

First things first, a few things you probably (read: don't) post in this section.

Server Advertisements: As is said here, servers shouldn't be advertised/posted here. They belong here.

Server Recruitment: TECHNICALLY allowed (I believe), but it would probably be better to post it in the dedicated section.

Hosting Help: If you are looking for a host and want to know which is the best, we CAN NOT help you.

MOTD Verification Errors

This is a very common problem and as each problem is different, there is really no concrete solution.
Some common solutions include:
Restart your server.
Clear your servers cache.
Make sure there are no extra characters before or after the code, INCLUDING SPACES.

If none of these work, the best thing to do would be to PM any of the Site Moderators or try to catch one in chat, they should be able to help you out.

Group Manager Set-Up/Use

Most anything you should need can be found here, on the Essentials wiki. Also, here is a serviceable video tutorial.

PermissionEx Help:

Here is a video tutorial, and here is some pretty in-depth stuffs.

Can't Connect To LAN World?
Not exactly a server issue per-say, but something I've seen in here more than a few times. You can find the solution that works for most here.

General Permissions Help!
If you just have trouble setting up your permissions in general, jdf2 is currently working on an awesome permissions editor that does a lot of the work for you. You can find it here.

Of course, if you are going to ask a question, be sure to check out this thread first.

This post has the [WIP] tag for a reason. xD If would like something added you could post something about it here, or you could PM me.

Also, please don't hesitate to ask me questions (by PM ONLY please). I was a (plugin handling) Admin (eventually Head Admin) on a large server for about 6 months, I may be able to help.
CalPal_
08/23/2014 1:32 pm
Server Basics - More Coming Soon!

What is a Server?

We must first ask the very simplest of questions, what is a Minecraft Server? It is also very easy to answer. A Minecraft Server is a place where you can play Minecraft with other players and may be run off your own computer or a dedicated Minecraft hosting service.

Minecraft Hosting Service: A Minecraft Hosting Service runs your server on their equipment, usually for a monthly, quarterly, or annual fee. The size of the fee usually depends on how many players you want on the server, among other factors.

How Can I Start A Server?

Running a server is a fairly complicated ordeal. To run one yourself, it requires decent knowledge of networking, and your system configuration.
You can find all the help you need on setting up a "vanilla" server here!

However, there other options besides the normal "vanilla" experience. The most popular alternate solution is called "Bukkit," which allows you to do many more things with your server through "plugins." Plugins are add-ons coded by others that allow you to do anything from disabling fire to limiting mob spawning to protecting certain areas from griefers.
You can find all the help you need on setting up a bukkit server here!

More to come soon!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome