Adding Custom Blocks

PapaRhoq's Avatar PapaRhoq8/6/19 11:50 pm history
2 emeralds 378 3
8/9/2019 12:00 pm
PapaRhoq's Avatar PapaRhoq
UPDATE: still looking for some assistance. Please comment or message me if you know any good methods for adding blocks. Thank you!

Hello! I'm new to the Minecraft community. Been exploring Resource Pack editing as a point of entry to modifying the game. However, I'm interested in adding some custom block types into the game. I'm comfortable editing json and mcmeta files, and have been scouring YouTube and various websites looking for an example of adding custom blocks, but haven't found any detailed examples which work with the current version of minecraft. Either that or I find an expansive data-pack that makes so many changes that it's difficult to narrow down what I'm looking for.

My goal is to add a custom block type, include a recipe for crafting it from basic items included in vanilla, and be able to build with it. No special behaviors needed (that I'm aware of).

Are there good tutorials or simple examples that would be good to get this kind of a modification started?
Alternately, if there's an experienced person that'd be willing to chat with me or take specific question, that'd be great as well.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm hoping to solve this via datapack and keep with vanilla features.
PapaRhoq
Level 34 : Artisan Ranger