Building a Minecart Travel System Station for the First Time

ToadieOdie's Avatar ToadieOdie1/16/16 10:04 am
1 emeralds 445 9
1/16/2016 2:33 pm
ToadieOdie's Avatar ToadieOdie
I'm not that great with redstone, but I would like to build a station house for a minecart transport system that you can use to travel around the map. The simpler the better because I would like to be able to expand the system to include new locations as needed.

I already know that one potential problem is lone, abandoned carts left to run around on the rails. Are there ways to address this issue without the use of mods or plugins? I do have a plugin server, but I am interested in learning how to make redstone work and I prefer to keep the number of plugins that I use down to a minimum.

Are there any other things, tips, tricks, or potential problems that I need to keep in mind before I start building this station for my map?
ToadieOdie
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/16/2016 1:25 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Engineer
LegendCreeping
if you type in chat "/give (Your Name) minecraft:commandblock" you can put down the command block and right click it, when inside type "tp @p (coronets of the destination)" then power with red stone and it will teleport the closest player to the destination that you entered.
01/16/2016 2:33 pm
ToadieOdie
This is very true and very handy when the players' internet connections are good. However some of my players have poor connections and I end up with them sinking into the ground and suffocating before the terrain fully loads when they arrive at the teleport location. This is highly problematic for me when they lose all their stuff inside the ground, etc. I can work around that by setting it so they don't drop their inventory when they die, but they still end up with the problem of not actually getting to where they want to go when using this method of travel.

So yes, I can provide this method but I need to add the disclaimer of "Use at Your Own Risk" and offer an alternative method of travel.
01/16/2016 1:04 pm
ToadieOdie
The only thing that I have now thought of and decided to come back to the thread since I've built this is the question of how to keep the dispenser filled with carts. The tutorial doesn't cover that.

There are a number of ways you could do that. Obviously you can just manually fill that dispenser, but depending on how you decide to decorate and build around this redstone construct, this may be problematic. I decided to create a staff only entry way leading to the space so this could be done manually as a fail safe because some times things break.

We are already using the plugin ChestRegen for other things so I could rely on it to keep the dispenser full. Sometimes the plugin breaks and needs to be updated though, hence the need for a back up plan.

Alternatively one could link up a command block to fill the slots in the dispenser with minecarts each time the button is pressed to release a minecart.

This is just a thought I had since I was planning on having a station like the one in Bang Bang Gaming's tutorial at each destination.

Edit: I didn't go with the booster method he described since he did say it sometimes fails and my server is for my special needs children who do not always understand that sometimes things simply do not work as intended.
01/16/2016 10:39 am
ToadieOdie
Actually, the video tutorial was very helpful and answered my questions about the cactus too. Thank you Bang Bang Gaming.
01/16/2016 10:15 am
ToadieOdie
Okay, how do you get an empty Minecart to hit a cactus? More importantly how do you make sure a minecart that has a passenger doesn't hit a cactus?
01/16/2016 10:14 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Bang Bang Gaming
I made a tutorial on this very thing a couple of weeks ago, hopefully it will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEHS-giIz-8
01/16/2016 10:45 am
Level 33 : Artisan Princess
craftergurl
very good tutorial
01/16/2016 10:16 am
ToadieOdie
I will check it out, but my hearing is impaired. Hopefully the closed captioning doesn't suck for it.
01/16/2016 10:08 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Architect
SnowNugget70
Cactus is a good way to get rid of them.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome