Roleplay Server: Tribal Medieval Fantasy

SoulSquid's Avatar SoulSquid1/16/15 11:21 am
1 emeralds 473 2
1/18/2015 3:25 am
SoulSquid's Avatar SoulSquid
Hello! I'm DarkForce2000

I'm looking to start up a unique roleplay server, however, I'd like to get feedback on the idea. (BITS IN BOLD ARE THE INTERESTING PARTS, if you want to skim-read.)

It will be strict roleplay, revolving around in-depth lore. The world will be set in a medieval fantasy environment, but with a twist; half of the races will be tribal. This will include things from the hunter-gatherer to the witchcraft and voodoo "tribes". The other half of the races will be the normal fantasy races such as dwarves, elves, human, orcs, but with tribal elements to them. I will also create my own races.

A little bit about my experience with roleplay:
I've been on several roleplay servers, usually quite large ones. I've been an admin on a global Norse/Roman/Greek/etc. semi-strict roleplay, a builder on a strict fantasy medieval server. And I've also enjoyed playing as simply a member on various other roleplay servers.
From my experience I've found that roleplay servers offer some of the nicest community in Minecraft because everyone who joins is interested in taking part in the roleplay, and put effort into their application, so it is obvious who actually wants to join. Therefore "griefers" and "trolls" are few and very far between.
However, my only significant problem that I've found is that the most people I've ever seen on at one time on the servers is less than 20 -- 25 at best on very rare occasions. The average would be around 6-12. The issue with this is that to actually find people to roleplay becomes difficult, especially when the maps are so massive!

My aims for my roleplay server will be to make the map smaller, without reducing the experience. I will put invisible borders around towns and the wilderness so that people cannot simply wander off into the unknown. The maps will be open-world, or at least give the illusion that they are. This will hopefully force people to bump into each other causing interaction, rather than using OOC chat to agree to meet-up with people. I would like people to play in adventure mode, however, using commands I will create areas which when entered, sets you into survival so that you can do things such as build a house, mine, cut down trees and farm.

Why "tribal medieval fantasy"? Well, most servers that I've been on the roleplay is usually about dull things such as fighting, farming, or fishing. (Unless you have a really eccentric character). I want to provide a unique experience with a totally different story, and fantastical characters with colourful stories that aren't the copy+paste "green hooded archer who steals stuff in the dark".
This is the idea for my server, if you are interested please post a comment below or send me a pm so that I can contact you if I launch the server.

If you have any suggestions (that aren't too specific), please post them below.
I will be updating the Minecraft forum post more often than this one, so if you want to follow the discussion go here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/se ... sy-looking
SoulSquid
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer