Best cheap graphics card for Cities : Skylines?

TotallyNotMe's Avatar TotallyNotMe2/2/16 5:47 am
1 emeralds 2.2k 13
2/2/2016 1:01 pm
TotallyNotMe's Avatar TotallyNotMe
Hey,

I've been playing Cities : Skylines for the past couple months on a really bad computer, and I'm wanting to upgrade my graphics card, case and power supply.

Please tell me where I can get my PC specs, as I'd like to share them with you.
The main game I play is Cities : Skylines, but with the lowest graphics and resolution, it can run about 10fps. So it's not that good :/

What's the cheapest graphics card and power supply that can run Cities : Skylines? (I've already found and bought a case )
TotallyNotMe
Level 56 : Grandmaster Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/02/2016 10:52 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
The graphics on the i3 6100 are, while not ideal for gaming, good enough to play some games at a 60 fps average with lowish settings. It would still outperform your current graphics by a mile.
02/02/2016 10:36 am
BananaInCharge
Murica's is the best possible option
02/02/2016 10:42 am
TotallyNotMe
Ofc m8
02/02/2016 10:50 am
BananaInCharge
Don't know if that was sarcasm but it really is the best option. Short of going with a cheap FM2+ motherboard and being stuck with a limited AMD upgrade path, LGA 1150 is basically your best bet.

Going Skylake and getting an LGA 1151 board would result in higher costs through buying RAM as well as just the premium for the latest and greatest in mainstream consumer parts.

You could get a Z170 PC Mate and an i3 6100. This would be about your entire budget gone and you'd have to use the integrated graphics for a while but you'd have fantastic CPU performance through the BCLK overclocking that is now possible on Z170 chipset motherboards for non-k CPUs like the 6100.

Since you want a graphics card, which is recommended if you do want to play games on your computer, Murica had to factor that into the budget. You won't get much better than a 750 Ti for £90. Unless you look on OverclockersUK's site and head to the clearance lines and get something cheaper you're basically limited to a 750 Ti.
02/02/2016 1:01 pm
TotallyNotMe
I'm gonna send this to my brother. I can't understand all this stuff xD

About the 'ofc m8', I thought you were referencing to 'America', not 'Murica'.
02/02/2016 10:11 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Cities: Skylines is very taxing on the CPU. The CPU you have is essentially AMD's equivalent to an Intel Celeron or Atom.

I would suggest going with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£34.99 @ Novatech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£34.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £159.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 15:06 GMT+0000

I didn't include a CPU because even if I included a Pentium, it would be over your budget and wouldn't be enough for Cities: Skylines. It'll run the game, but as CPU usage reaches 100% (and it will), the game engine will slow down everything to compensate. Your framerate might be unaffected, but days in-game will last longer and people and vehicles will move slower.

I recommend using at LEAST an i3, with an i5 being ideal for a game like this (if not an i7). You could also use something like an AMD motherboard and an Athlon 860K/FX-4300, but you won't have much room for upgrades. With the Intel board you can go up to an i7-4790K, but with and AMD board (depending on the socket) your best upgrade is either an A10-7870K or an FX-8350 (technically you can use a 9590, but you'll also need a good cooler and better power supply to run it).
02/02/2016 10:33 am
TotallyNotMe
I'll think about it. My brother is very good at building gaming computers, so I'll talk with him and find out the best possible options.
02/02/2016 7:20 am
BananaInCharge
The reason you can't upgrade your CPU without getting a new motherboard is because it is a BGA socket so it is soldered to the board, in case you were wondering.
02/02/2016 7:17 am
BananaInCharge
You might find it difficult to upgrade this computer at all, while it might be possible to upgrade the GPU you would still have to upgrade the CPU in order to get a playable frame rate in Cities: Skylines.

Because you're buying a PSU and GPU and have already got a new case it is probably worth thinking about getting a new CPU and motherboard as well. It wouldn't hurt to grab another 4GB of RAM either as more and more games are starting to require 8GB as a recommended amount.

If you want a recommendation I could help you with that without breaking the bank.
02/02/2016 9:58 am
TotallyNotMe
So I'll basically need to upgrade everything? I've only got a budget of around £100-£170. I don't even have that money yet, as I have a very small job and I only get around £15/pw. The case I've got is a Micro-ATX one ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/bitfenix-prodigy-m-micro-atx-pc-case-arctic-white-a75lw )

I'm looking for something like a GTX 650, and that's all I know. My brother has built a few custom PCs so far and they work perfectly fine. But yeah, if you could recommend anything within my budged I'd be very pleased
02/02/2016 7:07 am
TotallyNotMe
Here we go

02/02/2016 6:37 am
BananaInCharge
Press WinKey + R to bring up Run. Then type dxdiag and press enter.

It should bring you to this:

Except it will have your specs and not mine obviously..

It could be useful to know your current graphics card as well. So navigate to the Graphics tab:

After you've done this, you can either take screenshots or just type your specs out.

Your gameplay could be being limited by your CPU as well as your GPU so it is helpful to know both of those things before we recommend an upgrade.
02/02/2016 6:18 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome