How to get news to subscribers? [Thinktank Thingy]

CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_1/26/15 11:28 pm
1/28/2015 11:43 pm
CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_
Hello everybody!
As I've been around the site for a while, I've noticed that there's really no way to easily get news out about things to your subscribers! I think it's an issue that could probably be addressed!

I originally came up with an idea of PM Blasts to all of your subscribers, if you want, you can read about it here:
OP
Simple idea. The ability to send out PM blasts to all of your subscribers. It could be useful, especially for people with large-ish fanbases.

It could be time-locked (as in, you could only do one a week, or something) to help with spam, perhaps.

I don't know, the idea randomly popped into my head, thought I'd throw it out there.

However, that's a bit.. Clunky.

Suggest solutions, give feedback to other people's solutions. Let's have some fun.

Current Suggestions
PM Blasts to Subscribers - MGB
Facebook-style Feed System - Zitzabis
CalPal_
Level 38 : Artisan Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

CalPal_
01/28/2015 11:43 pm
I'm also pretty excited for the upcoming update, as a whole. Looks like there's a lot of interesting, useful stuff coming! :3
anonpmc1793855
01/27/2015 12:18 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
[deleted]
CalPal_
01/27/2015 11:21 am
welp. There yah have it, folks. xD
Cyprezz
01/27/2015 11:20 am
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg
Yes, I'm developing a Facebook style status feed for our profile pages and a news feed for our homepages that will display all status updates from your subscriptions. It's one of the current 12 different widgets developed which we'll be able to add, remove, customize, reorder and resize with the upcoming profile overhaul.
Zitzabis
01/28/2015 10:35 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Well...I guess all the haters out there of this idea are just going to have to grit their teeth now.

Personally, I'm really excited about the profile update. It should be a way for the content creators to keep their followers up to date with what they're doing, what's coming up and what has been done. It also means we can all have a customized experience of looking at exactly what we want to look at. All those people pitching fits over the blogs section, well now you don't have to look at them anymore.
Fanjawi
01/27/2015 11:12 am
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
fully against this PM blast thing

we are gonna have a new profile feed feature anyways.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/pmc ... -profiles/
CalPal_
01/27/2015 11:19 am
Yeah, in all reality it kinda was a bad idea. SIgh.

But I don't see anything in the post about us getting the kind of feed we're talking about... it says Submission feed, but I would assume that's something similar to what we already have?
Pepijn
01/27/2015 11:07 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Sorry to say but I'm fully against the PM Blast, it will get abused (sadly enough) and very spammy in general.

Since it's kinda my rule to not just say "no" to a suggestion without offering an alternetive:
I like the idea of a "feed list" so to speak, like twitter or player.me. You can post a small announcement and people will be able to see it but it doesn't give a notification (unless you want to). This might also be a place where forum feed can show up (like PMCBot2.0 sending you a message about somebody replying to you and that message will be shown in your feed).

Kinda simular to the "Facebook Feed thing" Zitz suggested but I like the way Twitter does this more (especially because Facebook most of the time doesn't actually show you all of the stuff that your friends post).

If anything like this will be added however it would make PMC more like a social media than it is now and not everyone may like that.

This post is already getting way too long... I will stop. Bye
discOtter
01/27/2015 12:12 am
Level 47 : Master Giraffe
It would be abused.
CalPal_
01/27/2015 7:04 am
Well, of course. Every single system on this site is abused, there would just have to be safeguards in place to make the abuse as minimal as possible.
Colonellooo
01/27/2015 12:16 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
That's why the unsubcribe button exists.
Zitzabis
01/27/2015 1:48 am
Or again, a Facebook system can be used where you can unsubscribe from any status messages from that user.
Zitzabis
01/26/2015 11:59 pm
I've suggested this before on another thread, but in the form of something like a special message system which works in a Facebook news feed kind of way.
CalPal_
01/27/2015 12:01 am
Hmmm. Wait, wasn't something along the lines of that said to be coming in the forthcoming profile overhaul? Or was that just in the suggestions thread? I don'tknow. xD
Zitzabis
01/27/2015 12:02 am
It was something I suggested for the profile overhaul, yeah.
CalPal_
01/27/2015 12:06 am
Ahhhh, ok. Well, that would obviously be a bit more elegant solution than this one, I think.
funny bunny
01/26/2015 11:57 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
MGB_Simple idea. The ability to send out PM blasts to all of your subscribers. It could be useful, especially for people with large-ish fanbases.

It could be time-locked (as in, you could only do one a week, or something) to help with spam, perhaps.

I don't know, the idea randomly popped into my head, thought I'd throw it out there.

I think this idea has been suggested already, and the mods said that the best thing to do right now is to link your twitter to your PMC page. I personally think it is an awesome idea!
Lopunny
01/26/2015 11:39 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
This seems cool, it's also something I think many would enjoy having. The locked once a week thing also helps with the spam, which would also be extremely helpful, but let's think a second... How could this totally fail?

Well, for those who are subscribed to hundreds and even thousands of people, it would be hard to read each and every PM Blast, especially if they're subscribed to lots of popular people. I had something else in my head I was gonna add but got too lazy

Anyways, that was just something I thought of, but other than that I'm pretty cool with this idea.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome