I think i got DDos'd

xXPandakXx's Avatar xXPandakXx2/22/15 4:36 pm
2/25/2015 8:58 pm
Johnanater's Avatar Johnanater
can someone help me.

i was on my server when this guy Enderpop joined my server. he said he wanted to donate $150 to the server. i told him my paypal isn't working. then he said well can i add you on skype so i can donate when its fixed?i said yes. so i gave him my skype.

10 minutes after he was like "i'm afriad i work for "MY ISP NAME" i said LOL i live in "Country ISP is from". he said he was unhappy with my online activity and he was trying to trace me down and it led him to my server. after that both online players timed out and i can't no longer use that wifi connection

halp ples
xXPandakXx
Level 2 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/23/2015 1:25 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Realistically the guy's probably had his laugh and won't be back (if he does come back just ban him).
He's clearly not a worker for your internet service provider as they wouldn't bother purchasing an account just to log into your Minecraft server, falsely offer to donate large amounts of money to you, and then try to contact you through skype if they actually did have a problem with you.
Basically, if it sounds too good to be true, don't believe it. And don't add random people you've known for 2 minutes to skype.
02/22/2015 8:50 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
scrib
Well he just resolved your ip from your skype, no big deal there, as he probably doesn't know how to do anything with it.

The server either crashed, or you did indeed get DOS'd. (Not ddosed because only one computer was involved)

Even if you did, it's really no big deal as long as they don't do anything with your ip address or keep dosing it. If it continues, you could get the police involved, as it is a federal crime.

EDIT: Also don't host a server from your own router if you intend to make it public because people who know what they are doing can find your address, full name, family members, and more just from that ip address.
02/23/2015 1:41 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
ME1312
Breaking someone's internets is a crime? Huh.
02/23/2015 8:03 am
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Actually, delivering a threat over the internet is a crime (I've seen several cases of this being dealt with IRL). If he does further damage, you'd be well within your rights to hand his IP (he joined your server correct?) over to the police.

Remember kids, you can't hide behind the internet.
02/25/2015 8:58 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Unless your smart
02/23/2015 2:57 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
Yes it is...

You may potentially damage someones router or hardware and interrupt a service that some one pays for.
02/22/2015 6:32 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ThatOneGuy2
-snip-
02/22/2015 6:15 pm
Level 20 : Expert Engineer
MagnesiumFlarez
Sorry bro, yeah servers don't work for me unless they are whitelisted
02/22/2015 4:52 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Wazzeldorp
Sadly, I feel you, OnionCraftMC doesn't get even 8 players however, whitelisting your server will keep it to friends of trust instead of strangers who ask for staff 2 seconds after joining, am I correct?
02/23/2015 2:56 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
White-listing on a minecraft server does not stop DDOS attacks...
02/22/2015 7:37 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1279828
[deleted]
02/22/2015 4:48 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Wazzeldorp
Hi Panda, I'd like to share some knowledge.
First, never host a minecraft server connected to a router.
Second, use a trusted MineCraft server hosting site.
Third, If you HAVE to host from your computer, do not make your server public, or whitelist it.

If this didn't help just contact me on my forums page, I'll be more detailed
02/22/2015 6:37 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
I host my server at home, don't see anything wrong with that. If you get it at a host it's just a bigger target, if a server gets DDoS'd, all of them get DDoS'd. I have been before. It lagged for about 5 minutes but that's it.

@OP He probably wanted your Skype so he could use a Skype resolver to get your IP (If he thought you used a host) Then he DDoS'd it.
02/22/2015 6:12 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
1. There's nothing wrong with home-hosting. With the right network configuration, you'll be able to be about as safe as a hosting service and it will be very difficult for your home network to become compromised.

2. Many hosts out there charge unreasonable amounts of money for mostly decent service. If you want great service, you typically have to pay a premium.

3. Other than matters concerning bandwidth, there is nothing wrong with home-hosting a public server.
02/22/2015 4:50 pm
xXPandakXx
i can't afford paying hosting sites. i already don't have enough people joining my server whitelisting it would make it worse.
02/22/2015 4:38 pm
Leeberator
Are you hosting your server at your house?
02/22/2015 4:39 pm
xXPandakXx
yes......sadly.
02/22/2015 4:44 pm
Leeberator
Nothing wrong with that. Can you still connect to your server locally?
02/22/2015 4:45 pm
xXPandakXx
i fixed it. i unplugged my router and plugged it back in. still kinda scared because my i.p is static by default
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome