Am I too old for Minecraft?

Snowy_Parker's Avatar Snowy_Parker8/9/17 2:34 pm
51 emeralds 12.2k 247
6/12/2019 8:10 pm
Starryspectrum's Avatar Starryspectrum
Hello everyone.

I am 16 years old and I recently got back into playing minecraft. I hadn't played it for a good year and a half because I simply got bored of it but I am now back and I feel ready to play a bunch again. You see, I first started playing minecraft back in the fall of 2010 when I was only in 4th grade. I've seen this game grow and evolve over the years and I can't tell you how much fun i've had. But only recently, when I started playing again. I felt... Left out, or not in my place. I feel that because i'm 16 and all my other friends have moved on the other games. I feel like I shouldn't be playing. Right now is a time in my life when I have started to think about my early adult plans in a couple of years and I can't help but wonder if I should be playing at this age. Now I know what you guys may be thinking, "Oh! You can play at age 50 for all I care, It doesn't matter! Aslong as your enjoying yourself!". And to an extent this is true, but I can't find people my age to play with anymore. Everytime I play a game and someone asks if they wanna discord. They always turn out to be way below my age and I feel like i'm an oddball in everyplace I go. I never thought back in the day, everyone was my age too. I figured there were a diverse range of ages playing the game. Basically what I'm trying to say is. Am I welcome?? In this community that I have come to love for 43.75% of my entire life!? (Yes I did the math). I really don't want to feel this way. Is there anyone out there my age or older that feels the same way? I have a pretty good YouTube channel going that I have had for 2 years now and I've uploaded 100+ videos and my subscribers enjoy what I do post but I don't DARE upload a minecraft video because to them it's "Childish". So again, if there is anyone else out there that feels the same way I would love to know. THANKS!
Snowy_Parker
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Brendann
08/09/2017 2:51 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Ranger
This is exactly like me, I took a break and came back and It is better then ever. Minecraft is a really great game but theres a lot of controversy over it due to bad rep from youtubers and children in the community. Also I play on whitelisted community where we just sit back and have fun with a game created to build and survive you should try it out sometime.
edenpro2
08/09/2017 2:54 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Crafter
im 17 and i enjoy playing minecraft every time! it can get lonely sometimes in creative but then theirs awesome servers like Hypixel. Most of my friends have FPS and the like but i don't really care. There are even people over 20 who play (like Pewdiepie, Tobuscus, Skydoesminecraft).
RileyAlijah
08/09/2017 2:55 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
I'm 17 years old, run a fun server, it does just get a bad rep from elitists, I wouldn't worry about it, always do what you enjoy
ThirtyFangs
08/09/2017 3:15 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Hero
history
I know a lot of people of 16yo who were playing on a minecraft server, or who were running a minecraft server, and now I'm 19, and I still have a friend who plays minecraft, as I'm doing.

You can still play this game while worrying for your future, no matter what game you play.

Minecraft is still suitable for your age.

I don't know a lot of people to play with tho, except on some servers, and I rarely vocal with people.
Just find where to play, pretty sure you can find people to play and talk with
raidarr
08/09/2017 3:18 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
16? Certainly not.
GoggleD0GG
08/09/2017 3:32 pm
He/Him • Level 49 : Master Dragon Necromancer
When Minecraft was originally created, it was mainly intended for a older audience thanks to it only being on PC. When it moved to XBOX and tablets, that's when kids started playing it.
Mitzeh
08/15/2017 6:52 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
great i'm weirder i played when i was like uh around 10 and it was PC not XBOX or tablet
EmperorBOSS
08/09/2017 3:51 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Architect
I know that feeling well. It absolutely hurts to not be able to find people my age who play. However, I recently began playing on a server, and a whole bunch of people my age (and possibly older than me) log on day-to-day.
Some people are ashamed to admit they still play Minecraft when they're adolescents or even adults, but I believe that a person shouldn't take others' opinions completely to heart unless it's constructive criticism. You are absolutely of a correct age to play this game. It may feel empty for a while, but eventually you will find the right place to play in.
hgbf
08/09/2017 3:54 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
16? No. Finding someone that age might be a little more difficult than finding someone around 12, but it is far from impossible. Some easy ways to gain new friends is by checking server reqruitement threads on forums etc. I have one I recommend at www.reddit.com/r/realms/comments/6qy2vp/monthly_looking_for_group_thread_java_edition/
Good luck!
XxOPoofyOxX
08/09/2017 3:56 pm
Level 23 : Expert Botanist
history
I'm 17 and I still play PixelGun and stuff.
ShastaGaming16
08/09/2017 4:25 pm
Level 22 : Expert Explorer
You're not alone, people that are the same age or older that play MC are dotted randomly around the world.
DrexelDragon
08/09/2017 10:14 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Nah i don't think your too old man keep crafting!
Snowy_Parker
08/10/2017 1:25 am
I guess you're right! :-D
idontevencanname
08/09/2017 10:20 pm
Level 41 : Master Dolphin
Man, I'm 16 and I also recently got back into it. You should play whatever you enjoy and if that means moving on to other games go for it. Also, you can still play the other games with your friends but also play Minecraft at the same time.
Snowy_Parker
08/10/2017 1:25 am
That's nice to hear! Thanks!
Hockeybuilder07
08/09/2017 11:59 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Narwhal
You can't be too old for minecraft
Snowy_Parker
08/10/2017 1:29 am
Thanks to everyone who posted! I really just wanted to know if there were more people like me. I kinda figured there would be but I hadn't heard about it from anyone. I guess i'm going to search around, find some people, have a good time and move on! Farewell everyone!
Greystalk
08/10/2017 2:01 am
Level 45 : Master Ranger
I'm 19 and still play Minecraft on and off. I don't think you can ever get too old for Minecraft.
Princess Cas
08/10/2017 2:06 am
Level 41 : Master Magical Girl
I'm 15 and my boyfriend is 17 and we play minecraft together so don't think you're too old! And I know how you feel when you say everyone is way younger, I tried making friends on servers but it seems like I'm not "hip" enough lol or they're just too young so it feels weird to call them my friend.
ChitterChatter_
08/10/2017 2:16 am
Level 35 : Artisan Explorer
history
You are never too old for Minecraft! :) All our little blocky people have fun no matter the age! That's the key really - just find things you enjoy doing and you will meet people that love to them too. Age is just numbers anyways. haha.

My server is all ages and well we have quite a few people around your age there. So don't worry - I have played many servers that also are like that, I am sure you will find a great bunch of people your age or near your age no matter where you end up!

I have met Minecraft players from age 5 all the way up to 80. I played this one server where there were 3 generations of family actively played. The grandparents, the parents, and the kids. They were a lot of fun and everyone loved them all

One of the good things with Minecraft is that you can come and go from it. You can take breaks and play other games, yet come back and it's still here. Where some other games - if you miss some raiding or take time off the game or whatever you suddenly fall so behind and have to relearn so much to get back to where you were!

Good luck to you - Welcome back to the game & I hope you do have fun and meet a lot of new friends :)
Wobble Fox
08/10/2017 10:21 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
I find 16 a laughable age to call too old. There is of course no age too old to play minecraft as you partially acknowledged in your post, however I see that the real question here is whether you share this community with people of a similar age or older.

When I started playing minecraft, it was just a friend and I on a private server. I had no idea what the majority of the global community was like, and once I did join a few servers, I discovered not only that the community was young, but that the audience for each server is different. The younger audience dominates the mini-game servers. Older players are there too, but they are drowned out.

I, as likely many others, am not particularly drawn to such servers. Not because of the community, I just don't find the content particularly interesting. I joined other servers, such as semi-role-play servers. Pixelmon and Harry Potter servers are my favorite. Due to the thematic nature of these servers, it attracts young players for sure, but the depth and complexity sometimes result in a majority of mature players. You can be sure that there are more extreme servers with almost no young players, not through enforcement, but attraction.

I have seen small, community driven servers that demand a certain level of maturity from their players. While I'm not a fan of exclusion, they are trying to create a home for those that want a break from the sea of young players.

I still play almost exclusively on a private server with my friend, the larger community not even crossing my mind.

I could tell you many reasons why I think someone would be foolish to categorize it as exclusively for children, but it would be an irrelevant argument. I can think of no game that you shouldn't play if you enjoy it, whatever your biological state.
Ivain
08/10/2017 11:30 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
I'm 21 and I'm still here, so I think not. However, you may find it harder to find people of your own age and temperament to enjoy the game with you.

The main problem you seem to have is that your subscriber audience who might not appreciate videos on it.
Stubbs1
08/10/2017 4:32 pm
They/Them • Level 67 : High Grandmaster Artist Senpai
Honestly I do see why you would feel that way, with all the "feeling old" stuff, but if you want to play Minecraft with someone your age, then you shouldn't go onto servers and ask, go to forums like this one! Tell everyone that you're looking for someone to play with and they have to be minimum 16 years old.

I myself just turned 20 and I find plenty of people my age still playing Minecraft. They don't do it like when they were kids because they usually don't have the time, and most of the people I meet lives alone. Not that I'm any different on that :p

My point is!

If you want to play with someone your age or abouve, then you'll be more than welcome to contact me, or just ask this community!
pvplord888
08/10/2017 8:34 pm
Level 46 : Master Modder
im 15 and i still play
Turtle22222
08/11/2017 1:13 pm
pvplord888 I keep finding you
RobhieMattz
08/10/2017 8:40 pm
Level 26 : Expert Engineer
LOL, I'm 22 and I'm still playing. If you're at this age and you're still playing minecraft, Make sure you at least sure that there's an improvement. Because if you're at that age and you still play like how you started then you should start asking yourself what have you been doing these past years D:
KrissieFox1
08/10/2017 8:44 pm
She/Her • Level 46 : Master Nerd Fox
*laughs* I'm 30 and it's one of my favorite games. :) I suppose I can understand if you feel awkward when you're having difficulty finding other players within your age range, but I'm sure you can meet other teens who enjoy the game. I'm sure I would have loved playing it as a teen. Part of the problem might be - and please don't take this personally - is that a lot of teens may be feeling social pressure to be what their peers deem as "tough" or "cool" and may actually like Minecraft just as much as you, but are just afraid to open about it because they might get teased. I was like that in my teens, to a degree.

But anyway, I'd suggest maybe looking around for a server of mostly your age range if you feel awkward. I'd definitely feel a bit silly playing Minecraft on a server full of hyperactive 12 year olds, so I can understand that. I'm sure you can find servers out there with a more mature player base if you look.
TheLukeGuy
08/10/2017 9:08 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Geek
No way!
jtrent238
08/10/2017 9:31 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
I'm 17 if ya want to join my discord :)
Snowy_Parker
08/10/2017 10:40 pm
That would be awesome!
jtrent238
08/11/2017 12:47 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
SuperheroFan25
08/10/2017 9:38 pm
The point of Video Games is so you can relax and have fun by escaping the real world.

Lets say you had a shit day like you got reject, your dog died, and you got your phone smashed.

Video games are there for you to relax in your freetime and minecraft is good for creative and other fun mechanics.

Shit if it wasn't for mods and coding i won't be in Game development today.

So in conclusion Minecraft and video games are for all ages expect Gta and rated R Games
DrummerJacob
08/10/2017 10:03 pm
Level 27 : Expert Architect
Minecraft is rated E for everyone.
DrummerJacob
08/10/2017 10:06 pm
Level 27 : Expert Architect
I started playing Minecraft at the age of 27 and that's pretty much when the game came out. So I don't understand the age limit concern so much. :)
Mooselk
08/11/2017 1:50 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Engineer
I'm almost 19 and have been playing the game for over 5 years and still enjoy to some degree. I feel like it wasn't until early 2014 late 2013 that the game became overwhelmingly full of children but, it always has been a child friendly game.
Eli the Zeratoed
08/11/2017 7:38 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Coming from a 17 year-old myself, just like Pokémon, you're never too old for Minecraft as long as you act your age on there.

Oddly enough, more kids play games aimed at the older demographic (For example, like Call of Duty, CSGO, or Halo), and more adults play kid games that are tied to nostalgia. So basically, you can enjoy what you want, because those people who say they like playing shooters or whatever because it more adult and "manly" are more childish than you think they are.
Snowy_Parker
08/11/2017 5:36 pm
You're exactly right! I have found more kids play CSGO than Splatoon!
Mitzeh
08/15/2017 6:49 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
guess i'm weird then

i hang around kid games and I'm a kid.... rip my life
PusheenFluffyPuff
08/15/2017 9:42 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Geek
Oh hey Periderp! I just commented too! :D
Turtle22222
08/11/2017 1:11 pm
Have you ever seen a (Successful) minecraft youtuber younger than 20, adults/teens should play whatever the heck they feel like playing. Don't let the world drag you down you play minecraft whatever age you are
TSSIIRooTizx
08/11/2017 5:53 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
I'm 21 and I still play!
Misakii
08/11/2017 5:56 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Age doesnt really matters tbh if you want to play games, age doesnt matters for minecraft just enjoy the game and have fun,
Arona
08/11/2017 6:43 pm
Level 26 : Expert Architect
Nah, man, I'm 23. Do what you enjoy! To hell with anyone who bashes you for that.
FL4W
08/14/2017 8:09 pm
Level 1 : New Engineer
dont discord with them boom problem solved. you'll find older ppl in straight smp servers.
FryD420
08/14/2017 8:12 pm
im nearly 30 and still play everyday almost ive been playing since alpha
AloComet
08/14/2017 8:17 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Architect
I'm 16 years old too
Homestuck_Skins
08/15/2017 4:36 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Crafter
I'm 15, all my friends don't play anymore and those who do simply don't speak to me. In my old group of friends who played Minecraft every day one was in college and he still plays when he has time, which isn't much but yeah. One of them was also 24, I'm pretty sure he's still being a pvp god like he used to. I think it's usually the younger players who always want to discord or skype or whatever, and the older the player is the less they may want to because they feel more like you said you do.
I used to talk in the chat all the time, then I stopped playing Minecraft for about 7 months, then I came back and I never talk to people because I think I don't fit in anymore either, lol, but really you do. There's plenty of people who're 15, 16, 17 who play Minecraft, they just don't announce it (obviously) or ask randomly to talk to people on discord or whatever I guess is what I'm saying.
s i r e n
08/15/2017 4:38 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
never too old
raisa
08/15/2017 4:47 pm
Level 24 : Expert Artist
No? Of course not.

I mean, if your over like 45 and your playing, THEN I'd say that'd be too old. Unless your playing for your children or something...
papertazer
08/15/2017 6:38 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Alien
Never too old to do what you love. If you want to play minecraft at 16, go for it. I'm 20 and if I had more time in my day I would be playing it. I don't even have the time to update any of my mods anymore.. but someday.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome