Buying new laptop - System requirements advice

harry69's Avatar harry697/28/17 6:11 am
2 emeralds 1.2k 13
8/23/2017 6:21 am
Spectre's Avatar Spectre
Hi all

Buying a laptop for my son, he needs one for school anyway, but he wants to be able to play Minecraft for PC (Java edition). I have read it can be quite heavy on the CPU. He isn't too fussed about being able to run Mods though.

Would either of these laptops be sufficient? Or would I need one with a better CPU?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/hp/hp-14-bw000au-14-laptop-e2/451909/
https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/hp-14-inches-14-am085tu-intel-celeron-processor-4gb-64gb-emmc-notebook--z1d77pa

The first one comes with AMD E2-9000e the second with Celeron® N3060. I know the AMD has a better GPU clock speed but will that matter with Minecraft?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Harry
harry69
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/23/2017 5:41 amhistory
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Oasis Network
First, where did you read Minecraft, a simple sandbox game, can be heavy on a CPU? Minecraft is in no way that extreme on a CPU with the correct settings.

Second, anyone who needs a laptop for school is able to carefully pick one they need and purchase it themselves.

Lastly, why shop on third-party websites? Go to Amazon.

In conclusion; why make a PLANETMINECRAFT post for again, someone who DOES NOT NEED A LAPTOP FOR SCHOOL.
08/23/2017 6:21 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Mage
Spectre
"Why shop on third-part websites?" Neither of these companies are third-party, sorry.
08/23/2017 1:53 amhistory
Level 54 : Grandmaster Mage
Spectre
That looks fine. But if you're willing to spend a little more money, try looking at a low-grade desktop PC. It'll be more expensive, yet it'll pay off in performance and life length. ;)

And by the looks of it they both should be able to run Minecraft decently. I recommend downloading Optifine however, as this makes it run significantly smoother.

Also if you're looking at a budget friendly mouse & keyboard I recommend the Asus Cerberus line.
08/21/2017 10:10 pm
branca
Depends on how much money you want to spend. You can check the models below for your son.

https://pc4u.org/best-laptops-for-college-students-under-500-dollars/
07/28/2017 11:35 pm
harry69
Thanks for all the advice. Definitely made it easier for me.

Cheers

Harry
07/28/2017 9:09 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
_inactivity
Minecraft does not manage memory well in larger amounts- I find that anything after 3-4 gigs of DDR4 makes barely a difference.

I believe Windows uses about 1 gig on standby, so 4 gigs should be enough.

The CPU and RAM are, when it comes to Minecraft, much less important than the GPU. Minecraft isn't really doing much in terms of game logic under the hood, but its rendering procedure is horrifying enough that you'll want to shell out more for a GPU relative to the rest of the PC.

I believe it runs best with at least 2 gigs of VRAM.

I'd push toward the first option.

I will note that, having run Minecraft on both Linux (x86-64 Arya) and Win10, I can say that it runs more smoothly on Linux, but there are waaaay too many variables involved in that to speculate on the real McCoy.
07/28/2017 7:32 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Sheezie
This would be a great choice, it would run minecraft perfectly and great for school work
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-To ... rds=laptop
07/28/2017 8:27 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
This is a fantastic deal.
07/28/2017 8:47 am
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
Both laptops seem to be good enough for minecraft. I would recommend a laptop with 8 GB of RAM though, since Minecraft uses RAM to load up the world (roughly, I know).

With the processors being at least 2 GHz and the RAM being 8 GB, it sounds like a perfect laptop (to properly run Minecraft on the average settings). Also graphics are something that influences playing the game, but I don't know much about this. Most laptops won't come with a graphics card anyways.

As said before, if the game runs slow, make sure to tweak the video settings.

And to the others who would like to respond to this: I know RAM isn't everything, but I think we can all agree that 8GB is a reasonable and still relatively small amount.
07/28/2017 7:23 am
harry69
Thanks for the advice, yes school use and portability is the priority but due to health reasons he doesn't get much joy in life so I would like for him to be able to play Minecraft.

I build my own Linux PCs and haven't used Windows since the early days of Win7 and don't know much about laptops so any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers
07/28/2017 7:03 am
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
Moved to gaming and technology

if he needs it for school i'd take that as a main priority over minecraft but whatever

the two laptops are ok, they are both extremely cheap laptops when it comes to laptops, but they are solid machines, out of choice i'd go for the second one, it is pretty much exactly the same as the first, but is cheaper, it would also be more durable,

he wont be able to max minecraft on any of them but should be able to run them at started settings, but you should tweak the graphics settings anyway when playing.

(remember guys he is looking for laptops so we don't need to be like omg use this custom built pc)
07/28/2017 6:55 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Metis
I don't think they are that good although they may be able to handle it but it may be a better choice to get your son a desktop over a laptop as they are a lot more powerful and if your son got into gaming I think he would appreciate it more.

Here are some gaming pc's made by cyberpower specifically for minecraft
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/page/Minecraft-gaming-pc/

Although you would also need to pay for a keyboard, mouse and monitor if you got one of these
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome