Is It Okay to Use Copic Markers on Shoes?

JediJerboa's Avatar JediJerboa9/21/18 8:50 am history
2 emeralds 341 7
9/23/2018 1:18 pm
JediJerboa's Avatar JediJerboa
Context: I have some white Converse sneakers that I want to decorate for my sister, so I needed some permanent markers to do it. And while I have a ludicrous amount of Sharpies, Copic markers give a greater color range. But from what I’ve been told, Copic markers are alcohol-based, and probably would not react well to the conditions of life, especially rain. Still, I’m curious about how they will sink into the fabric.

So, should I use Copic markers for this or no?
JediJerboa
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/22/2018 10:15 am
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
Alcohol inks would wash out, but sharpies would work fine. I've even done custom colors on my shoes with sharpies before. If all else fails, you can mix and overlap the sharpies. Good luck!
09/22/2018 10:20 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Really, you actually got good results with Sharpies? Every time I've tried to use them on fabric, they bleed A LOT.
09/23/2018 1:18 pmhistory
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
You do have to account for that and you must apply less ink than you usually would. I've also used paint markers, but those were just for show.

Think of it like watercolor. If you apply too much, it goes everywhere and it messes a lot things up. Oh, and lightest colors first. And if all else fails, just use a black sharpie.
09/22/2018 10:29 am
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
Must have been the fabric of the shoes. Not sure how it would work on converses though...
09/22/2018 11:15 amhistory
Azie
That's actually what I was using them on. They might be better for man made fibers like polyester. Cotton canvas has a pretty thick weave. Maybe that's why.
09/22/2018 10:08 am
Azie
Nah, there are specific materials that are made for this that won't react to light and moisture.

Fabric markers and fabric paint are the way to go here.
09/22/2018 2:45 amhistory
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
StarSaffire
From what I've read online, No, the weather and wear and tear would destroy your art. You might get away with sealing them, I'm not familiar with fabric, but I have experience with alcohol ink in general, you always have to seal it. I'd say it's best to be safe then have your artwork slowly get destroyed
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome