Can you check over my Final PC Build?

Adyxia's Avatar Adyxia5/16/16 6:35 am
1 emeralds 308 2
5/16/2016 4:37 pm
Woodilicious's Avatar Woodilicious
Hey!
So I'm about to get a new PC, and I've put together this build.
It'd be much appreciated if someone could check it over and make sure there's no glaring mistakes.
Thanks!

Oh, and the goal was to be able to play modded Fallout 4 at 1080p 60fps+ on Ultra settings.

My PC Build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£199.95 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler (£16.02 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£92.89 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£27.26 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (£275.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£66.57 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GL2450HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £876.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-16 11:34 BST+0100

I've added a couple of 120mm Case Fans on too, just because the case only comes with 1 stock fan.
Adyxia
Level 31 : Artisan Goblin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/16/2016 11:34 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
If you can, wait until the release of the GTX 1070

Also, I'd personally go with a different CPU cooler. Cooler Master Hyper series are always a good bet.

The SPEC-02 is a better case in my opinion. It has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front rather than just a single USB 3.0 and a single 2.0. It's also a little easier to build in from what I've heard. Cases are obviously just personal preference.

The monitor is meh. It's not IPS and it isn't even a 1ms TN panel so it's almost not worth getting. (I normally only suggest a TN panel if it is specifically designed with gaming in mind, 1ms response time and 120Hz+)

You don't really NEED a 600W PSU. There's no negative effect if you have one but you'll be paying more for nothing. Unless you plan on upgrading to a dual GPU setup then you probably won't be using more than 500W. I doubt it will make much of a difference so there's also no real need to change it. Just pointing out that you won't be using 600W.
05/16/2016 4:37 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
For the most part, this.

1. If you're able to wait, 1070 will likely be your best bet. But if not, all memes aside, I would recommend a R9 390 over a 970, due to its vastly superior performance in DX12, and more-than-double VRAM. (I feel it's worth mentioning that the 970 is still a beast of a card, and I have zero complaints with mine)

2. Go with a 212 Evo if your budget allows it. If not (and it probably won't, for reasons I'll cover later), just stick with the stock cooler for a little while, and save up the extra money for either a 212 Evo or something. The stock cooler isn't the greatest, but that current CPU cooler you've got listed will likely not perform much better than it.

3. Personally, I wouldn't go with either the Spec 01, 02, or 03. They all vary in prices too much, and they all seem like entry level cases. If you're able to, a personal suggestion of mine would be to spend £10 more and go with something like a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M. But as mentioned previously, cases are just personal preference. (But when budgets get higher, like yours, I'd focus more on build quality too. The last thing you want is to put your extremely expensive computer in a low quality case that will fall apart, along with your dreams)

4. If the OP is getting a 970 and is sticking to that, 120hz might not be in his best interest, because as a 970 owner myself, I can rarely push a constant 120fps in many games. Unless you're already accustomed to >100fps gaming, 60hz is just fine. (But it's honestly just personal preference. I know higher fps is better, but unless you're playing fast-paced first person shooters, the extra 60hz seem like just a novelty item. That isn't to say there isn't a difference, I just don't see a point in spending a lot more money on games that already seem to run smooth enough.)

5. No. No no no. No no no no no no no. Do not, for the love of god, get that power supply. No. Just don't. Please. For the love of god and all that is holy. If you get that power supply, you will be extremely disappointed. Let me say once more, do not get that power supply. EVER. The CX Series is Tier 4. Tier 4 is for basic office desktops. They are never meant for gaming rigs. That PSU is literally only a few steps up from a sketchy $5 psu you find lying in your basements. As I said before though, I can't personally knock it because I made the mistake of buying one myself and I haven't had any problems, but I am just lucky. Do not get that power supply. There is a much higher chance of it killing your entire system than a higher quality one that will only cost a little more.
[yt]dYHVUrXOwbI[/yt]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome