Starting up a Server Questions.

Sir_Craftypants's Avatar Sir_Craftypants10/11/19 10:33 am history
1 emeralds 297 6
4/12/2020 6:21 am
Sir_Craftypants's Avatar Sir_Craftypants
Hi,

I have a set of Questions I'd like to ask as I'm alien to how the whole Server thing works, hoping some of you will be so kind as to provide the answers. I would extremely appreciate it.

I am planning to start up a Server of my own and I have many projects I wish to achieve on said Server, there is nothing out their like it which I think is an advantage to me, also which I believe my fellow Minecrafters will love so, questions.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this matter.

Q1, I want to generate 5 large biome Maps for each of my projects, 1 of the Maps for the Lobbies, can you be teleported from a Lobby Map to the other 4 Maps and back? Is this how is works and or can it work?

Q2, Which type of Server package do you think this would require, how much Server Ram do you think would be required?

Q3, Can I work on these World Maps offline first and then upload them to the Server after?

Q4, Who are your favourite Server Hosts, who do you use?

Q5, Is there anything I should know about, pit falls you've come across, thing's to watch out for or avoid etc.
Sir_Craftypants
Level 48 : Master Dinosaur

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/12/2020 5:22 am
Sir_Craftypants
Spigot or Craftbukkit?

I'm leaning towards Spigot.

I've just purchased a year sub Server and I plan on upgrading to eventually the largest possible package so will be running multiple worlds and building a huge community.

Advice would be much appreciated.
04/12/2020 6:21 am
Sir_Craftypants
Found this little gem and it's pretty much made my mind up for me, Spigot.

Quote:

CraftBukkit

CraftBukkit
runs what is known as the Bukkit API which adds support to the game for
Multiplayer and plugins. This is currently maintained and supported by
the developers of Spigot who use the Bukkit API and add their own Spigot
API to the server.

All
Bukkit Plugins should run on Spigot servers as they both utilize the
same API, however, Spigot plugins will not run on Bukkit Servers.

Spigot

Spigot
is a commonly used Multiplayer version of Minecraft, This version
supports modification and plugins, For example, if you wanted to add a
plugin to teleport from one player to another, you would likely use this
version. Spigot has a website where developers publish plugins that can
be used for these versions
10/16/2019 9:05 pm
Level 1 : New Network
World-of-Survival-Network
Q1, This can be solved in different ways. If you are hosting off of dedicated server racks you own, you can create multiple instances for each lobby and map, and connect them with waterfall. Contact us and we can assist you with this. Secondly, you can use Multiverse, again if you need help contact us.

Q2, This depends on what you plan to with the servers you purchase. I recommend 2GB RAM and 5GB SSD space to get your server off the ground, and increase as you continue.

Q3, Absolutely, but you may lose features like WorldEdit and plugin features without mods.. You can do this by creating a survival world, creating your maps, and then replace your world file with your save. Contact us if you would like help with this as well.

Q4, Beastnode is cheap for good servers, and Pebblehost is also good if you need a cheap option, but are willing to gamble with their uptime.

Q5, Always avoid rushing into staff recruitment, this can become stressful and if you do it too early you get a lot of people attempting to change what you want to do with your server. Make sure you have a solid foundation for your server, this includes any plugins you need downloaded and working properly, and definitely a discord guild setup. I recommend getting a cheap domain, and using anything from Google Sites, to CPanel to host your website so you can grow a community. Think of your community as a potted plant, or garden. The more effort you put into growing it, and the more attention you give it contributes to its overall growth and success. Without a good community, you will get nowhere.
10/17/2019 7:16 am
Sir_Craftypants
Thank you for your help and wisdom, appreciate it and your time, if I need assistance I will not hesitate to ask, again appreciated!
10/16/2019 2:19 pm
Level 1 : New Collective
cosmosis128
For question 1, you can get plugins like Multiworld to create multiple worlds, any warp plugin and if you want - different inventories for different worlds.

For question 3, yes you can.

Sorry if this isn't helpful. I tried! Good luck :)
10/16/2019 7:57 pm
Sir_Craftypants
Thank's appreciate your time and input.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome