Updating self-hosted Bedrock Alpha server from 1.16 to 1.17

RafaPolit's Avatar RafaPolit6/11/21 10:50 pm
1 emeralds 29
Dear friends,

I am wondering if there is an update process to migrate from 1.16 to 1.17 that I am failing to find. Instructions are very clear as to how to start a new server from scratch, yet there is remarkably little information about update processes.

Background:

We have had a home machine running bedrock alpha server 1.16 through various upgrades.

My process has been:

- install the new version
- run a default world with the bedrock_server.exe
- stop the server
- copy the old world to the new installation
- upgrade the server.properties
- restart the server

It has always worked as exepected.

Upgrade to 1.17

I followed the same procedure for 1.17, and it *mostly* worked. But, for example, torches are rendering incorrectly in iOS and iPadOS devices (but not if I start a fresh world in 1.17 on them). I could provide screenshots if needed, but basically they are only rendering half of the torch, the other half seems like the normal of the face is backwards.

Also, we run RTX textures, so obviously texture packs from NVidia will be lacking some textures, which is a shame. I was expecting that MOJANG would release with 1.17 their own RTX textures, but I guess efforts are being redirected elsewhere.

So, long story short:
- is there a tool to upgrade a world from older versions? (how do they do it on commercially hosted servers?)
- is there support for those of using alpha server?
- the world is already generated on several chunks, so I am not expecting new biomes there, but would new biomes appear on unexplored areas on a world created with a previous version?

Again, surprised there is so little info regarding the Alpha Server out there.

Thanks for any feedback, links, instructions, help in general.

Best regards,

Rafa.
RafaPolit
Level 1 : New Miner