HUGE Server Lag when Joining or Dying

Hazz912's Avatar Hazz9126/1/13 9:12 pm
6/2/2013 9:05 pm
Z645's Avatar Z645
Hi,
I have recently setup a bukkit server for me and some friends to mess around on and everything was going fine, however when I finally got it set up my friends complained that they were getting 20-30 seconds of server lag ONLY when they joined or died (This does not happen to me).

I have tried almost everything, removed all the plugins, made a static IP, Back to Dynamic IP, Restarted modem & router etc. My biggest discovery however is that when they send a message while they are lagging, I receive it instantly but they cannot see it.

After seeing this I started looking into LAN and started up my other computer, installed minecraft and tried connecting. It connected fine but even on a LAN it still had the 20 second delay. If anyone could please help with this issue I would be very grateful, Thanks!

EDIT: I am fairly sure this is not due to RAM as the server is running on 2gb for 1-5 people and still lags even with no plugins installed, I have 8gbs available and am on a medium - high-end PC
Hazz912
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Z645
06/02/2013 9:05 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
jayman9696_the problem is that this is home hosted. You really cannot host a bukkit server on home internet. It isn't ram it is your Upload speed. Home internet isn't good for this. Your internet to your server will always be good as it is on the same device.

Basically if you want no lag put up the the 3 dollars a month and buy a hosted server.

This is absolutely incorrect. My server is home hosted with 25mb dl and 3mb up with no lag. And RAM and CPU are to be considered. Having many plugins with 1GB dedicated RAM and a crap CPU won't run the server. You'll need about 4GB and a good CPU. <-- that's what's most likely making lag when someone dies. Internet speeds only lag the connected users on your server.
wen372
06/02/2013 12:19 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
The problem is how far you are away. Like Jayman9696_ said, You need to have a good upload speed and download speed to be able to connect to your friends fast on your own internet. Or else there's that delay. I've played on Australia hosted places and always, I get that 20 second delay when I die and login or warp.
jayman9696_
06/01/2013 10:14 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Dragon
well you are sort of in a pickle in Australia. Even if you get a nearby host in like europe you will have enough to "play" without your unplayable lag. My host in usa has a few players in austrailia, but i don't know at what quality. I guess the problem could be on their end. I would try playing with like 1 other person. See if it lags. Then keep adding players until your maxed out based on Upload speed.
Hazz912
06/01/2013 9:50 pm
If you can find any hosts in australia that will host it for $3 or less, let me know, but I believe that is impossible from australia, Thanks for the insight about using on your own internet but it is strange that that would occur, and yes, my girlfriend has at least a 3mbps upload speed according to speedtest and that's minimum with the new NBN service in Australia, still the same issue.
jayman9696_
06/01/2013 9:45 pm
no "home internet" has 5 mbps upload. anyways connected to your own internet through LAN would use Lan not your internet. It only travels like 20 feet as opposed to miles or more. Also playing in the same location the server is hosted kills your internet speed as your uploading and downloading to yourself. (You upload to your friends and download to yourself). This also hurts your speed. I'm telling you if you want it fixed just pay the 3 dollars a month. It is easier and will make everyone happy
Hazz912
06/01/2013 9:40 pm
Hmmm, but then why did this also happen when I connected to my own internet through LAN? It also did this at my girlfriends house with 5mbps upload (NBN in australia) and I tried to set the server up at, same exact issue, I am almost certain it has to do with bukkit itself.
jayman9696_
06/01/2013 9:34 pm
Also lag is worth upon dying or joining because your sending a fresh set of chunks as they initially load the world for the first time. Uses more internet bandwith
jayman9696_
06/01/2013 9:33 pm
the problem is that this is home hosted. You really cannot host a bukkit server on home internet. It isn't ram it is your Upload speed. Home internet isn't good for this. Your internet to your server will always be good as it is on the same device.

Basically if you want no lag put up the the 3 dollars a month and buy a hosted server.

^this is a link to EnviousHost. The company i use.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome