Disappointed about the latest world breaking snapshot :(

Hidiety's Avatar Hidiety5/11/18 7:19 am
2 emeralds 182 5
5/13/2018 9:06 am
ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser
So yesterday I was watching some YouTube and came across this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0W_DOMMHIs . It's an update video talking about 18w19a, the latest snapshot at the time of this post. At the very begging of the video Xisuma points out that in the change log it says that worlds made in versions prior to this snapshot will no longer work in newer versions due to world generation changes. This really hits me hard since over the last month I have been working on my servers spawn area in 1.12.2. I'm really just posting this to vent tbh, and don't expect much of a response. There are a lot of cool new features in the snapshot, so if you haven't already I'd check out the video.
Hidiety
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/13/2018 9:06 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
You're drawing the wrong conclusion: the changelog said that previous snapshot worlds would no longer work. So this only applies to worlds made with previous snapshot versions, but not those which were made with the official release. So you don't have to worry too much there.

Note though that some breakage will probably happen anyway, especially if your world uses custom command block structures and all that. But anything beyond that... Heck: Mojang even made sure that underwater structures build in prior versions will still work in 1.13. So: if you load a world where you used a sign to block water from coming in then this will continue to work in 1.13. Even though the trick won't work if you try to re-create this in 1.13 itself.

1.13 will definitely break a few things (especially command block constructions) but we're also going to get a lot of new and improved (and enhanced) functionality back.
05/12/2018 10:33 pm
Hidiety
Just watched an update video about 18w19b and MC will no longer break your worlds, in theory. Lots of replies to the tweet saying that the world had its chunks reset so it might work, it might not.
05/12/2018 12:10 pm
Hidiety
I am excited for the update, for sure. Make no mistake about that :). My server is vanilla, and ran off of command blocks, so there was already going to be much work on those systems when the update released because of 1.13s changes to syntax and such. Now to have my world be sacrificed as well :( My other OP on the server has told me that 18w19b will fix worlds breaking. Not sure where he got that info from so I'll believe it when I see it. Until 1.13 releases I think I'm just going to put a halt on most progress for the server. I don't trust the stability of snapshots enough to use them for my server so I won't be doing that. Lets just hope that 1.13 is comes sooner rather than later so I can get back to work. Silver lining, this hiatus is giving me time to outline my goals and plans for the server and also study up on command changes.
05/11/2018 11:28 am
Level 78 : Legendary Senpai
Soulas
Well I understand those frustrations as well, though to add ocean generation they needed to do this, fully remake generation from scratch , so most likely it will be even more better than it was before and maybe less buggy.
05/11/2018 11:25 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
I understand your frustration, but it will be good in the long run. There will likely be ways to carry over your spawn. The minecraft community is good at that sort of thing.

If nothing else, this plugin might work though I am not sure https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/viaversion.19254/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome