Do you want to make a mod?

barrowisp's Avatar barrowisp6/10/19 6:41 pm history
2 emeralds 387 9
6/11/2019 3:32 am
ScotsMiser's Avatar ScotsMiser
Since discovering the limitlessness of what mods can accomplish in Minecraft, I've wanted to learn how to make a mod. I have great respect for the folks who've figured out how to bring their ideas to life, and share them with the gaming community.
I sympathize about all the plz-update-for-X-version requests, and the why-does-my-game-crash-when-I-load-ur-mod-with-mods-X-Y-and-Z complaints. I'm glad that Patreon is a thing, and that folks use it to encourage/reward good work.
I appreciate all the guides people have written, the countless wiki articles, the numerous Discord servers with help/support channels. It's encouraging to see so many people challenging themselves to create, and so many willing to be a resource to other creators.
Thx, modding community!
barrowisp
Level 27 : Expert Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/11/2019 2:17 amhistory
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Probably doesn't apply too many [>1 would be a bit of a surprise :P ], but the survey has no choice that reflects:
"studiously avoiding code-diving MC because I have enough programming hobby projects already and I don't want MC to become that sort of hobby."

Thoughts for folks wanting to start programming:
1) Initial projects will likely be on the level of printing "Hello world." (a very typical 1st assignment in programming classes) and thus unlikely to "wow" the community. Do NOT be dissapointed in this.

2) Don't be too concerned with how original the idea is; truely original [ie unprecidented] ideas are extremely rare. (Note that all the mobs in MC, including the iconic creeper explosive kamakaze attack, have precendents in other games or literature.)
That being said, do try to make your interpretation meaningfully different... a pink end dragon the breath of which gives slowness and weakness is too similar to impress.

2a) which is not to say 'obvious' and 'simple' projects may not be appreciated, eg direction indicating hoppers (for which there are several add-ons available) and a bed variant that does not reset one's spawn point (frequently requested, but none known to me at present)

3) TEST, then test some more. Fix all the issues you found and repeat.
Next enlist friends and acquiantances to do further testing. (This needs to be done without you're being available to answer questions.) Now fix all the problems and weird corner cases no sane person would ever have thought of that the testing has revealed.
Send the revised program back to your testers (even better recruit a fresh group of victims <_< volunteers :D ) and iterate until you can't find anything else to fix.
Note the versions on which the code was actually tested (and actually worked) in the initial release.
Bask in the adulation of all and sundry. [Hey, power of positive thinking… :duck:]
06/11/2019 3:04 am
barrowisp
Thanks for your thoughts!

I guess "No, it would be too much hassle" is the closest, option, but yeah, I was wondering if the limit of 10 poll options would be a problem.

As for a bed that doesn't reset spawn, check out these sleeping bags!
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/comforts
06/11/2019 3:32 am
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
THX
a version of this not dependant on forge would be preferred (only really need it due to the 1.13 changes :rant:)
06/10/2019 10:28 pmhistory
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Modder
Geforce
Modding can be tricky at first. Obviously, learning a bit of Java is the first step that someone will have to do before being able to move on. I think that the next step, coming up with an original idea, is actually harder than learning Java though. There are so many awesome mods out there, but all of them take away from the number of "available" ideas for the next upcoming modder.

(I want to commend you for not just showing how to use MCreator in your modding tutorial though. Hand-coded, original mods are usually the best type of mods. :D)
06/10/2019 10:45 pm
barrowisp
I've put together a short list of ideas, as I'm interested in leading a little modding workshop for beginners. Browsing the forums today I saw stuff like "owls" and "doors made of bone" that I could see newbies able to implement. My thinking is to give folks a taste of making a very simple working mod, hopefully motivating them to study Java in greater depth once an intriguing idea comes along
06/10/2019 9:24 pmhistory
barrowisp
whether or not anyone else cares to use my tutorial, https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how-to-make-your-first-minecraft-mod-part-1, writing it has helped me
06/10/2019 9:47 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Flove
The link sent me to error 404, page not found. Can you fix it?
06/10/2019 10:02 pm
barrowisp
Ah, I see that the comma got included in the URL; sorry about that!
06/10/2019 7:22 pm
Level 20 : Expert Birb
sepamc
sounds fun.. if a mod ever comes out, i would play it
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome