Recent Tweet

planetminecrafter52342's Avatar planetminecrafter523426/3/14 12:45 am
1 emeralds 286 5
6/3/2014 5:15 am
Ash's Avatar Ash
Read the entire conversation on this twitter post.
https://twitter.com/Marc_IRL/status/471762881243918337

One of my friends recently talked about the difference between a donation and a purchase. A purchase is when you give money, and get something in return. A donation is when you give money, and expect and get nothing in return. So basically most servers with "Donation ranks" should just be called "Purchases" or "Shops".

What do you think about this issue? I personally do think servers should not have ranks that people can buy, and the money servers get should actually be donations. And hopefully, people use it for the server/community itself.
Posted by planetminecrafter52342's Avatar
planetminecrafter52342
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/03/2014 5:15 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Basically, if people pay money to receive something that is part of the game, involves part of the game or is considered an addition to the game, it's against their ToS.

Eg: You're not actually allowed to sell builds, mods, skin etc. Ranks aren't meant to be allowed, but many people skip around this calling it a donation and then the server is "giving back to the person by giving them items".
06/03/2014 2:02 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Not exactly...

Calling it a shop means that the seller is legally obligated to give you access to what you bought, meaning that they couldn't revoke your rank if you abused it or ban you if you broke server rules. If you did that with something they labeled as a purchase, they would have to refund you. Also, there's that tricky business with Mojang feeling that you're selling their property.

Calling it a donations allows you to revoke the rank in case of abuse and ban the person if they break your rules since you aren't obligated to give them the perks that were initially advertised since they're a "thank you" for supporting the server. You also avoid getting into trouble with Mojang since you can say you're thanking players for their support of the server.
06/03/2014 5:03 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
Good point, even as you said, they can remove your perk without having to give it back. But still, according to the TOS of mojang, you can't sell minecraft objects for a "rank" or purchase. Though Marc watson did say commands being sold are in the grey area for the TOS, which makes it legal.
06/03/2014 12:50 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
Mikeroboblox
I think Mojang should get a cut of it, because they made Minecraft, allowing people to make amazing servers were people buy ranks and items so technically Mojang made it and deserve all if not some of the donations. Honestly, since my server is basically run by me and 2 friends they started making donation ranks but I just pay and say yes or no so I just said do whatever with ranks as I cannot make them anyway.
06/03/2014 12:49 am
Level 1 : New Miner
[] Xero []
If I developed a game, then I would expect users to take my ToS seriously.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome