My thoughts on 1.3.1

Middlecraft's Avatar Middlecraft8/1/12 10:40 pm
1 emeralds 65
So far, I have been disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff they've done with 1.3 is monumentally amazing. Jungle temples, desert villages, tripwires, emeralds, ender chests (SMP city banks!), written books, and all the rest of the new stuff is quite enticing and very well done.

However, a few of the changes they've made to the existing functions have made me less pleased.

First off: blocks. The most troubling thing about this is the wood block (not the plank). They now resemble pistons in placement method, where the top of the block will face toward you. This is cool, how they have added sideways logs (the tops of door frames always bother me when they were logs), but I just wish that it could be employed using a less common method. What I mean by that is, well, let's face it. You won't be using sideways logs most of the time. In survival this additional function won't change much (you're building from the top most of the time anyway), but in creative these sideways logs frustrate me, as much of the time I usually spend placing logs is from the side, and this now results in logs with the light, central part visible.

Another part of the blocks problem is with stairs. They made upside-down stairs easier to place. This is another issue with common use. I use upside-down stairs quite a lot, but still not nearly as much as I use regular stairs. But this change has made it so that if you place the block by clicking the top half of an adjacent block then the stair will automatically turn upside-down. This reduces the area you have to click on to place normal stairs, which are used a lot more than upside-down stairs (IMO).

The creative interface I also find bothering. I loved the search function and the survival inventory tab, but the categories were slightly confusing. They were well-organized, but I strongly believe that in Minecraft, not all of the items can be firmly categorized into separate categories. For example, with common sense you assume that eggs would be in Foodstuffs, but since they have no feeding use in Minecraft, they are instead delegated to Miscellaneous.

Also, the ordering of items in the creative interface makes me a bit skeptical as well. The ores are not bunched together, for one thing, instead randomly dispersed throughout the order.

So what are your thoughts on 1.3.1? What would you change? And if you have any criticism on my thoughts, then I'd gladly accept it! (constructive please)
Middlecraft
Level 29 : Expert Dragonborn