Will MC 1.15 see the end of 32bit?

ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser1/25/19 4:34 pm
2 emeralds 521
Hi gang!

Editorial

It is so good to be back on my all-time favorite Minecraft forum. I ran into some pretty nasty problems last year when my computer broke down. Sure I had backups but without a Windows machine to use them I was kinda stuck. So that meant having to rely on FreeBSD, KDE (gui) and Libre Office for several weeks.

In the mean time I managed to salvage some parts of my old PC which made work a whole lot easier and eventually I got my new PC. Which turned out to be a DOA at first (<sigh>) but that got quickly corrected (had a replacement within a week) and now I'm sitting behind my new Win10 64bit machine on my new 27" monitor; 256Gb SSD, 2Tb HD, 16Gb memory and a nice NVIDIA GTX 1060 with 6Gb memory. It's funny because my current video card has more memory than my old computer had (you can only have a max. of 4GB on a 32bit machine).

Sorry for the small rant, it's the weekend and I'm having a good time!

So back to the issue at hand:

Is 32bit still usable for Minecraft? And for how long?

I enjoy Minecraft snapshots and I'm also very excited about the upcoming Minecraft 1.14. It's going to add a little more depth to the game, which I think is going to be interesting for both veterans and new players alike. However... with both previous snapshots (1.13 & 1.14) I encountered many nasty problems on my old Win7 32bit machine.

1.13 was often plagued by the "not enough memory to create thread" problem; it turned out that the 64bit version created a dependency on an amount of memory which wasn't available in the 32bit version (not by default). So you had to use a specific paramater to set it so that it would start.

When I was trying out 1.14 a few weeks ago I was confronted with download errors; it couldn't find specific files which were required to run. My gf (who has been using Win10 64bit for quite some time now) had no issues at all. This problem was fixed with the next snapshot, but now I once again ran into memory issues. Not 'heap' memory, but the same weird "cannot create thread" errors, however this time the parameter which fixed 1.13 didn't work anymore.

So now I'm on my new 64bit machine and as could be expected I have no issues at all. Things. just. work.

Which leads up to my argument: Will 1.15 still be working on 32bit or do these updates mark the end for 32bit Minecraft?

And also: are you running 64bit?

Poll ended 03/30/2019 4:34 pm.

ShelLuser
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer