5min wait for minecraft to load even with fresh win7 install

daverapp's Avatar daverapp5/31/14 9:54 pm
1 emeralds 1.4k 7
6/4/2014 8:27 am
planetminecrafter52342's Avatar planetminecrafter52342
So I built my current desktop computer in late 2010. I have 4GB of DDR3 RAM, a 2.8 ghz quad-core cpu, and a geforce 470 video card. I played minecraft on this machine for years with no problems, and I have no reason to think there's anything wrong with my hardware. At the moment I'm running a fresh install of Win 7 64 bit and a fresh install of java, minecraft, and everything else.

So my problem started last summer. When I double click on minecraft.exe I get this box:

(Note - I'm not actually sure what this is called. I'd call it a "launcher" but I think the launcher is actually the thing that comes after it. The unclear terminology makes googling this problem difficult.)

It used to be I would only see this for maybe 5-10 seconds, maybe a little longer if I had a bunch of other things running in the background. However since my problem started, I get stuck on this white box for several minutes. I've actually timed it and it takes about 3-5 minutes regardless of what else I have running in the background. I check task manager and it doesn't say the program isn't responding. I can close it without it freezing or doing anything suspect. For all intents and purposes it seems like it's working just fine, apart from sitting there doing nothing.

After several minutes this box will go away and I get to the minecraft launcher. Now I can sign in and play the game and everything is normal and fine. But having to wait for this box to go away for several minutes is infuriating.

I tried deleting my .minecraft folder with no change. I tried re-downloading the minecraft.exe file with no change. I uninstalled and reinstalled java with no change. I tried different versions of java with no change. I tried running minecraft.exe as an adinistrator just to see if it would do anything - no change. I disabled my antivirus with no change. I UNINSTALLED my antivirus completely with no change. I googled around for the problem and found lots of people having various issues with the launcher - but those all seemed to be referring to the screen that you get to after this one. Near as I could tell nobody else had problems at the stage that I did.

Finally I came to the conclusion that the only thing left to do was a total reinstall of windows, which at the time wasn't worth the hassle just to play Minecraft. So I gave up and just stopped playing for several months.

Well, a few days ago due to some other problems, I decided to back up all my personal files and reinstall windows. I formatted my hard drive, installed windows fresh, installed windows updates, and decided that before I'd go any further I would see if Minecraft would work. I downloaded minecraft.exe and lo and behold - the problem went away! The minecraft launcher came up quickly, I signed in, created a new world, walked around a bit... no problems. So I closed minecraft, went back to reinstalling all my software and hardware drivers and whatnot, because I thought I was finally done with this.

Well the next time I went to play minecraft (like an hour ago at this point) the problem came back. Once again I'm getting stuck at this box for several minutes, every single time I try to load the game.

Please someone rescue me from this nightmare.
daverapp
Level 1 : New Miner