Can't see other player's skin on LAN (Solved)

Vancony's Avatar Vancony6/28/15 7:54 pm
3 emeralds 29.9k 5
7/8/2015 3:20 am
Averli's Avatar Averli
When I join a LAN world, the other player's skin is Steve even though he loaded another
skin thats not Steve/Alex. But the other player can see my skin. But when I go to a public server, Every other player has their skins that are not Steve/Alex. So I'm wondering if my
computer isn't working or that there was a error on my .minecraft folder. I tried remaking my .minecraft folder, but it still doesn't work. I really disappointed about this situation and I'm hoping if anyone can help me.

More infomation:
Computer type: Windows XP
Minecraft Launcher version: 1.6.11
Minecraft game version: 1.8.7
Java version: 1.8.0

EDIT: Thanks for suggesting a way to solve my problem, PrincessNyala, but unfortunately, it doesn't work...

Also, when I looked at the resourcepacks folder, there wasn't any Steve.PNG, So I just put it. We also tried to switch computers, but then my skin was Alex, and the other player's was still Steve... Now I'm wondering if it's either the computer that's not working, or is it either one of our accounts that's malfunction on skins...

EDIT: (again )
Look into spoiler
Click to reveal
Thanks alot for speaking it more clearly. I found the resource pack in the jar and went to the entity folder and found the steve.png. Then I replaced it with my friend's skin. But when we opened LAN, it was still Steve...
So we checked the folder again, and the steve.png was back to normal Steve skin! We tried this a million times and on both computers but it just keeps getting replaced again and again by the real Steve skin.

On my computer (windows XP) I had to change the resource jar into 1.8.7.rar instead of 1.8.7.jar to go in and edit it. But my friend's computer (windows 7) jar was named 1.8.7.jar but it was already a rar. Hopefully that information gives some more info.

The steps I did: I went to .minecraft and went to versions and clicked the latest version.
Then I went to the latest version jar and went into it with rar.
I went to assets, minecraft, textures, entity.
Then I went down to the steve.png and moved my friend's skin to the entity folder.
Then I made it to add and replace files and the real steve.png file was replaced with my friend's skin.

Also, do I have to do something with the alex.png?

I figured how to fix it now
For those who still have this problem, here's how I fixed it:
I installed forge 1.8 (since 1.8.8 is compatible with 1.8) on the host's computer,
run forge 1.8 (with no mods to interfere) and the other player uses 1.8.8 and joins and sees the other player's skin correctly!
I don't know how is fixing it but just pointing this out to those who still have this problem.
Vancony
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter