Frame Rate Issues With High-End Radeon GPUs

discOtter's Avatar discOtter1/2/15 12:56 pm
1/12/2015 7:02 pm
discOtter's Avatar discOtter
There's a couple issues here to be sorted out...

When using either my Radeon R9 290 or 290x, I encounter some pretty drastic frame rate dips in multi-player. I always play the game maxed out, 16x16 texture packs, OptiFine installed, but lowering settings doesn't seem to have an effect. For example, I'll be playing Shotbow SMASH (us.shotbow.net) and I'll drop from 140 FPS to 20 in less than a tenth of a second (discovered through Fraps benchmark). Nothing I've done has been able to solve this issue.

Secondly, on the same GPUs, and even an old GTX 560 Ti, single-player (strangely enough) will lag as if I had lost connection to a server. After it "crashes," so to speak, the game will even give me the "Lost connection to server"-esque message. In case it wasn't clear enough (and to put it in layman's terms), everything in the game but me will freeze, blocks I break won't drop, and I can still move. That kind of lag.
discOtter
Level 47 : Master Giraffe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/04/2015 4:34 pm
discOtter
Searchndstroy
discOtter
Again, no, me being used as a bot isn't even on the table. Also, the bootable drive with Windows 8.1's installation ISO wasn't pirated, but the activation key was. My installation is perfectly sound.

I didn't say you were being used as a bot. As I said, open task manager and see if a background program is eating your resources.....

In which case, I wasn't talking to you.
01/04/2015 1:57 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
It could be your CPU? See if it is overheating, and maybe thermal throttling?

Also, have you got the newest updates for Windows?
01/04/2015 4:37 pm
discOtter
In my rig I've got a H100i hooked up to the CPU, and (on both the 290, and 290x) an NZXT Kraken G10+X40 (http://www.legitreviews.com/nzxt-kraken ... 90x_130344) so heat wouldn't be a problem. Plus, I can run Crysis 3 just fine. Windows has all updates installed.
01/04/2015 5:42 pm
Killertoad
Okay, in that case, could it be a corrupt Windows? Try doing Windows repair maybe?
01/12/2015 7:02 pm
discOtter
Already tried Windows Repair. Nothing.
01/04/2015 1:09 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
discOtter
Again, no, me being used as a bot isn't even on the table. Also, the bootable drive with Windows 8.1's installation ISO wasn't pirated, but the activation key was. My installation is perfectly sound.

I didn't say you were being used as a bot. As I said, open task manager and see if a background program is eating your resources.....
01/04/2015 1:03 pm
discOtter
I'm not being used as a bot, and my Windows installation is fine. Any time someone wants to provide some actual help would be great.
01/04/2015 1:01 pm
discOtter
Searchndstroy
supernotch893
Ahh...piracy. That might be why, Windows kicking in, slowing your pc deliberately to tell you that you did something illegal. If you can't afford Windows, download and install Lubuntu.

I don't think that's how it works.

Pirated versions are modified, and may come installed with nasty and hard-to-remove malware. (Viruses, rootkits, etc.)

coolfunfunfunOpen taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del) and look at the background tasks. I had a similar issue, but I resolved it by closing high intensity programs.
Possibly you are being used as a bot in DDoS.
Have you recently installed any programs? If so, look for LOIC. Delete it.
What may be happening is your computer is being sabotaged to to DDoS.

You seem to be fixated on the idea that OP's computer is a part of a botnet.

OP, as coolfunfunfun said, open task manager and go to details/processes and see if you can find any resource intensive programs.

01/03/2015 6:54 pm
searchndstroy
David5886
Searchndstroy
supernotch893
Ahh...piracy. That might be why, Windows kicking in, slowing your pc deliberately to tell you that you did something illegal. If you can't afford Windows, download and install Lubuntu.

Pirated versions are modified, and may come installed with nasty and hard-to-remove malware. (Viruses, rootkits, etc.)

Not the way I do mine, there is no malware, rootkits or viruses on the way I do it.

may

And is that relevant?
01/03/2015 6:47 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
Searchndstroy
supernotch893

Not the way I do mine, there is no malware, rootkits or viruses on the way I do it.
01/02/2015 4:30 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
coolfunfunfun
Open taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del) and look at the background tasks. I had a similar issue, but I resolved it by closing high intensity programs.
01/03/2015 4:07 pm
discOtter
I really doubt either of those things are issues since my IP address is dynamic (home-based office), and I have 12Gb of RAM (6 allocated to Minecraft for use with 512x texture packs). Thanks anyway.
01/02/2015 2:52 pm
Killertoad
Could honestly be a number of things. Could be Windows being corrupt, could be Java, could be drivers. I'd reinstall Java, and see if that helps, and if it doesn't, then maybe do a fresh install of Windows?
01/03/2015 4:12 pm
discOtter
Well, on the build in question, I am running a "pirated" (ripped from the disc, illegally activated) version of Windows 8.1. I've already tried installing drivers but could give it a second look. When I installed Java, it was through Ninite (http://www.ninite.com), so its quite possibly the problem. I'll edit this reply with what I found.

EDIT

Java was re-installed. The dips are definitely less drastic, but its still there. I guess I'll just have to live with it for the time being.
01/03/2015 4:24 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
supernotch893
01/04/2015 12:58 pm
discOtter
...Maybe if that was even a possibility.
01/03/2015 6:19 pm
searchndstroy

coolfunfunfunOpen taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del) and look at the background tasks. I had a similar issue, but I resolved it by closing high intensity programs.

You seem to be fixated on the idea that OP's computer is a part of a botnet.

OP, as coolfunfunfun said, open task manager and go to details/processes and see if you can find any resource intensive programs.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome