Graphics Card.

ak47sniperaxe's Avatar ak47sniperaxe3/5/14 12:37 pm
3/5/2014 6:55 pm
Anon666's Avatar Anon666
This is not for me, but my brother;

While I use my laptop for minecraft, my brother uses my family computer. It's probably about 6 years old, and has an old graphics card. When he plays on minecraft, it freezes and lags terribly, so much so that he cannot play. His solution is to play on an older version, but it still lags horribly.

The most obvious solution to me is to get a new pc or graphics card, but if there are any other ways it would be most appreciated.
ak47sniperaxe
Level 25 : Expert Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/05/2014 6:55 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Architect
Anon666
yeah i agree that it is possible to stick newer things in an older pc, but what i was saying is that its always a hassle finding out compatibilities from old parts to new, from my experience. I just think if it was me and i was really fussed about the performance i'd gut the PC and start out with a new motherboard, gpu, cpu and some RAM and just buy the newer bits when he has the money
03/05/2014 1:00 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
I disagree JamesHawkins, he doesn't have to get a new PC. The op hasn't even listed his specs, and even if he does get a new Mobo and GFX card, and a new cpu, it'll still be a ton cheaper than getting a new PC, as he doesn't have to pay for a case/and maybe not a new PSU (We don't know about that yet)
03/05/2014 1:12 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
This is essentially what I did. I pretty much gutted my old computer, removing the CPU, mobo, RAM, and the two IDE DVD drives (lol IDE). However, the hard drives in it were too slow for me (SATA I and SATA II), so I sold them to my brother who doesn't care for speed so much, and got a new hard drive. I also had to replace the PSU eventually, not because it was too weak, but because it was getting to be a decade old.

The result was an $800 investment stuck in a case that now has both Pentium 4 and i7 stickers on it.
03/05/2014 1:17 pm
Killertoad
Lol, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one :b
03/05/2014 12:57 pm
Level 25 : Expert Narwhal
ak47sniperaxe
Yeah, maybe in a few months.
03/05/2014 1:00 pm
Killertoad
Could you list the specs?
03/05/2014 12:51 pm
Anon666
well minecraft is single thread so it will use a lot of CPU, so shadbuster is right. you need a CPU with a high power and low cores for best minecraft, but getting an i5 proccessor wont necassarily work in an old pc, same as getting a new GPU, youll need a new motherboard, which then means all your other old stuff will be redundant. best thing to do is get a new pc
03/05/2014 12:48 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
What CPU is in the computer? The computer's from 2008, so it could be anything from a Celeron to a Pentium to a Core 2 Duo/Quad.

If the CPU is old there's no point in getting a better graphics card, because it won't help.

My dad has been using a Pentium D @2.8 GHz from 2005 or 2006, and upgrading the graphics card did not affect his game performance at all.

JamesHawkins666well you cant really go and get a new amazing graphics card like an nvidia gtx660 or something in a 6 year old computer as it will most likely be incompatible. youll probably have to get a whole new computer

While I agree that he should probably get a new computer, I disagree on a new card being incompatible. Assuming the PSU is good enough, he could handle a GTX 660. Heck, even if the PSU wasn't great, he could still probably use a 750 or 750 Ti. PCIe has been around since 2004, so it's not like he wouldn't have a slot for it.
03/05/2014 12:43 pm
Anon666
well you cant really go and get a new amazing graphics card like an nvidia gtx660 or something in a 6 year old computer as it will most likely be incompatible. youll probably have to get a whole new computer
03/05/2014 12:43 pm
Level 1 : New Prince
PrincePanda
my PC is back from 2004, and lags horribly in SSP, but doesn't lag too bad in SMP, so have your brother try a multiplayer server with a few people playing (not a big server, cause it'll then lag for other reasons)

my average is around 1-5 FPS on SSP, and around 15-20 on SMP

That's most likely due to the fact that you aren't loading, generating and saving your MC map to your PC, but instead another computer elsewhere is generating the map, so all the extra stress is taken away from your PC.. but I could be wrong about that.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome