Possible hack - how do I know who voted for my server?

EmpathyHeals's Avatar EmpathyHeals9/26/17 3:14 am
2 emeralds 769 8
9/27/2017 9:02 am
Advolton's Avatar Advolton
Hi,

Someone logged into my server tonight and didn't say anything, but started voting. Then this command was posted in the chat, and votes were spammed from player names I did not recognize and had never logged into my server.

This went on for quite a while. I went to a couple of those sites and I did not see anyone by the name of these players to have voted, but I don't know if it takes any time to update the names on the sites that provide a log of voters. Does Planet Minecraft allow me to see who voted and when?

Any idea, if it is a hack, of how to protect against it?

Thanks!
Emp
EmpathyHeals
Level 42 : Master Zombie

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/27/2017 12:21 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
Articube-Builders
idk
09/26/2017 11:16 pm
Level 42 : Master Network
ShadowKingdom__
Which vote listener do you use?
09/26/2017 10:50 pm
EmpathyHeals
Let me try again, as I don't really find either of the responses very helpful.

Does Planet Minecraft allow me to see who voted and when? If so, where?

Does anyone know for sure if this was a hack? If so, what does it do?

And finally, does anyone know how a server can protect against this happening.

Thank you!
Emp
09/26/2017 7:35 am
Level 25 : Expert Pixel Puncher
Advolton
I seen this on MCC, I believe its either a plugin or mod that you can download and customize.

You might want to make another post asking for a developer to help you make that happen.

Good luck.
09/26/2017 10:51 pm
EmpathyHeals
Thanks for answering, but a) what does this plugin or mod do, exactly, and b) ask for a developer to help me make what happen? I don't want to be doing what this person did, I want to know what it is they were doing and if it's a hack, how to protect against it.
09/27/2017 9:02 am
Level 25 : Expert Pixel Puncher
Advolton
a) The mod or plugin is designed to get people to vote on their servers to promote them, for an example, MCC uses this on PMC, they have a voting system (which I believe this is) when using /vote and it'll take you the the PMC website where you can then vote for their server as the best, in return you get a little reward and it'll pop up on the screen as shown on the picture showing that you have Voted. b) You could ask the developer to help you install this mod/plugin if you wanted it on your own server, and I it's not a hack so you don't need to protect against it, just Find a server that does not have the Voting system active on it.
09/26/2017 4:57 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
not everything is a hack, and you dont need to put in your own name
09/26/2017 10:53 pmhistory
EmpathyHeals
I didn't say it was, I said I suspected it might be. I am looking to see whether I can tell who voted for my server on PMC to compare with the votes I saw in chat. If I can't find that username as one who voted then it may be an indication of a hack.

Any help on figuring out what this was and how to tell if it was a hack or not?

And I know you don't need to put your own name to win, but I have good voting rewards and most people who vote want them. So I doubt a bunch of votes took place for my server with anonymous names. I have had people put in silly names on purpose before to vote as a joke, but the names were obviously funny or had a meaning to them and these don't. These seem like regular player names, just ones I've never seen before.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome