X-Craft, my first Minecraft mod

llamafarmer's Avatar llamafarmer2/22/13 3:39 am
2/23/2013 10:34 pm
-Rusty-'s Avatar -Rusty-
Hi everyone,

This past month I have building a Minecraft mod whilst teaching myself Java. I am graduate of computer game design, a lecturer of video game development at a college, and currently trying to start independent game development. I hadn't touched programming for a while so I thought best try and get back into it via Minecraft.

X-Craft is my mod, its purpose to extend the gameplay of vanilla Minecraft. Everything I want to add is not designed to replace key gameplay aspects of Minecraft, rather just build on them. These key aspects being: Building, Crafting, Exploration, and Combat.

Furthermore, the mod is designed to be iterative meaning that there will be future updates furthering the mod's features as well as background story/context.

In Version 1.0, subtitled Arcane Arises; a new strange energy has risen from beneath the bedrock. Where does it come from? What does it do? You can learn to manipulate this energy to craft new tools but at what cost?

These questions will be answered in future updates where the "story" (such as the bit above continues.

I have grand plans for this mod, and it will be exciting to see if I can actually figure out how to do it all.

You can download the mod from my website http://www.ryanlaley.com/xcraft-home.php

Here is a video going through all the new features present in 1.0, Arcane Arises.

Let me know what you think. Please bear in mind its my first one and first time with Java so if there are any bugs or errors please let me know. So far I am aware of just one bug that is with the cracked hearthstone not working after logging out. Working a fix for that.

Follow me on Twitter @ryanlaley for future updates on X-Craft and my other game development projects.

*EDIT
Also, you will need Forge installed to run this mod, simply drag and drop into your Mods folder.

*EDIT
Bug Fix: The Hearthstones will now remember their teleport locations after logging out.
llamafarmer
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/23/2013 10:34 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
just

wow
02/23/2013 10:17 pm
hoanganhlam
amazing this mod
02/23/2013 8:16 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Engineer
Lucargia
This looks like a really cool mod Cant wait for 2.0!
02/23/2013 8:08 pm
llamafarmer
So work has begun on patch 2.0 and I thought I'd share some of the things to expect over on my site:
http://www.ryanlaley.com/?p=113
02/22/2013 12:41 pm
llamafarmer
The bug regarding the hearthstones has now been fixed and the game will now remember where a hearthstone should teleport you and will no longer teleport a player into the void and killing them. Happy days indeed!
02/22/2013 12:10 pm
llamafarmer
It'll be something I'll look into and I'll keep people updated on its progress via twitter @ryanlaley and this thread
02/22/2013 11:52 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Narwhal
TwistedRazzor
you would have to convert it into a .jar file i think not sure, to play it on a server
02/22/2013 11:47 am
llamafarmer
I have not tried it or looked at how it can work on servers, by all means be my guinea pig as I don't have access to a server myself.
02/22/2013 11:23 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Narwhal
TwistedRazzor
Can you play this on servers? if so could i add it to my server? i love the mod
02/22/2013 11:09 am
CarryOnBrodcasting
ok- i will link off course
02/22/2013 10:49 am
llamafarmer
CarryOnBroadcasting - For sure! Happy to see people use it I'll be working on bug fixes hopefully this weekend, will let people know when it has been done on here and via my twitter @ryanlaley
02/22/2013 10:41 am
CarryOnBrodcasting
May i use this in my New Minecraft series. It will be put on this channel!

http://www.youtube.com/user/RealThomasStandage
02/22/2013 10:29 am
llamafarmer
Thanks for the comments, glad people like it

I will reply back on here and on my twitter when I have fixed the hearthstone bug.

Feel free to review it as 1.0 release, the idea is that 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 etc will be large updates furthering the mod with extra stuff, but while in development I will post incremental pre-release versions too. If you are to do videos you may as well go ahead and do one (after the hearthstone fix) at each major update. The idea behind it all is too sort of replicate the patch releases of mmo games, with each patch having a theme.

2.0 will be adding a new mob to the game, a wraith that will have some special things indeed, but more details when I eventually get around to it. But expect 2.0 to have even more items and features as well as starting to answer what Arcane Energy is and more importantly, where it is coming from.

Please post the link to any videos of my mod in action, would love to see them and share them on my Facebook and Twitter
02/22/2013 10:16 am
Level 21 : Expert Cake
pmcmodl
Hey cool mod!
I have some ideas for the mobs:
Cyclops! Drops an eye that has magical powers 0_0 (if you want i can help with textures)

If wyou want it to get more downloads you should also go to minecraftforum.net, and post your mod there cuz alot of people come there too
P.s: i will do a mod review on the finished product for you, just notify me on PMC when its done and its only just a matter of time before my vid is uploaded

I hope the final version will be launched soon, i REALLY REALLY REALLY like this mod
02/22/2013 5:23 am
Level 43 : Master Droid
Spect99
Awesome
02/22/2013 4:41 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Cowboy
Fark
Cool mod
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com