Beginning Building

irritatedCat's Avatar irritatedCat3/11/15 11:40 pm
3/15/2015 5:10 pm
-[C4]-'s Avatar -[C4]-
Today, I learned that building is very tough work. Although, that work does pay off when you get to see the final product. I'm trying to work my way up to become a good builder... of sorts, and have finished my starting work! It didn't take that long, and it's not too big, but I am proud of it! I would like other builders who had experience in the field to examine my work and give me tips. Of course, you don't need to be one, but I do need to get better, so TIPS!

Interior

Edit: Fixed images

Thanks!

Can you see the img? I don't know, it looks broken.
irritatedCat
Level 19 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/15/2015 5:10 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
-[C4]-
It isn't whitelisted?
03/15/2015 4:29 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
rules supreme under Blockworks, Pandora's blocks, mystical absents, Sunfury, Vadact and Dawn, maybe. If it's ever not whitelisted, that is.
03/13/2015 9:41 am
starcatcher77
You seem to have mixed midevil and city themes. Try to stick to one theme. And unless your making a townhouse, never use bricks.
03/13/2015 6:38 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
to get some good pictures, use Imgur. you don't need to make an account, just click upload pics and browse/drag the pics in.

If you just started building you'll hear the mantra of 'depth and detail' a lot.
Detail means that instead of having a plain wall of 1 block, you add a number of different blocks/entities to it to make it look more interesting, in a way that fits whatever theme you chose.

Depth means that you don't stick all of this on a wall that's 1 block thick, but instead have several layers of detail, ending up with a wall several blocks thick, where the first layer has some detail, and has holes that show the next layer etc. I can't really explain it without pictures.

pictures are on the way, stay tuned :p

Servers that might interest you are Dawn creative, Ravand.org, Sunfury (they dont allow access to higher rank worlds for lower rank players, but even the guestworld should help a lot), Vadact, Athion and Creativeblocks. You can also try hypixel creative, they have a nice little tutorial in the beginning on the basics of building. Simply go to hypixel lobby and type /creative.
03/15/2015 3:30 pm
-[C4]-
RAVAND IS DEAD

DakrCraft.playat.ch rules supreme.
03/12/2015 10:33 pm
irritatedCat
Questions:
Be intentional with your window placement. Minecraft doesn't come with doorframes, so you're going to have to imply that they're there - move the glass blocks away from the door by about a block, but try to keep them from scraping the corners of the room inside.

What do you mean by doorframes and stuff? And moving the glass?

Do something about that fence on the walls. Sure, fence can be a nice go-to for detail, but the lines and texture just make the brick texture look "off" when viewed quickly. The wood on fences and brick have similar textures

What should I substitute it with? Vines? Pillars?

Also, don't do that double door thing unless it's one of those "two-apartments-in-one-building but they're divided up". No, really, it makes my blood boil when people do that. No need for more doors than what's really necessary.

Sorry about that, but it was supposed to be one of those two-apartments-in-one-building.

Find the zen in building. Building shouldn't just be tedious, it should be fun. If you're driven to get better, then you're going to get better faster

If I do that, should I start playing singleplayer? I find it calmer, but just lonely.

Also, is playing with friends a good idea? I have one friend in mind with intentions to build.

Finally, any specific servers where I can see buildings?
03/12/2015 10:30 pm
irritatedCat
Refer to post below.
03/12/2015 8:49 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pirate
Lightning393
I'm a bit tired of people just saying stuff like "you're on the right track!" or giving obscure advice like "build goodly," so here goes.

I'm going to be perfectly honest, I'm not quite satisfied with the building.
Certainly, it's a nice starting place - but you can make it go so much further.

The Building
I'd suggest you choose something else besides the cobblestone, because cobblestone is a very visually "noisy" block. Just make sure it compliments the rest of the build in color and texture.

Tread carefully with brick. Brick is bright red, and neutral colors (grey, brown) can make it pop out more than you want. A lot of stuff doesn't look great with that color, but if you choose carefully enough, you can hit the sweet spot.

Be intentional with your window placement. Minecraft doesn't come with doorframes, so you're going to have to imply that they're there - move the glass blocks away from the door by about a block, but try to keep them from scraping the corners of the room inside.

Back up those cobblestone stairs in the center section of the house with more cobblestone. It's a tiny detail, but again, it detracts from the attention on the rest of the details, and creates a bizarre square of brick.

Do something about that fence on the walls. Sure, fence can be a nice go-to for detail, but the lines and texture just make the brick texture look "off" when viewed quickly. The wood on fences and brick have similar textures.

Don't go crazy with the block selection, but be adventurous. If you use too many types, it's going to end up looking like something an enderman threw together. Sure, it may look nice, but you'll only have space for so many different types of materials before it starts to distract the viewer. In real life, an architect would (usually) stick with one or two types of doors. Unless the door serves symbolic or particular visual significance, don't get the viewer stuck on the doors too much.
Also, don't do that double door thing unless it's one of those "two-apartments-in-one-building but they're divided up". No, really, it makes my blood boil when people do that. No need for more doors than what's really necessary.

Also, build upscale a bit more. If you want to experiment, and really grow as a builder, you're gonna have to build slightly bigger. Downscale buildings are quicker and easier to build. Upscale buildings have more surface area and more room to really experiment, while still looking reasonable.

Simplify your materials, but do it intelligently. Remember, marble/quartz has connotations of wealth or splendor unless you break those connotations (mediocre example, but when people use fence as rope, they now associate "spruce fence" with "rope." This is how you change how people see the materials in the build). Make it clear what you're trying to say with each material. Now: be careful with the flooring because when you have two different types of floor together (that stairwell), it can also attract more attention than needed - same goes for the spruce logs next to the front staircase. Now, don't be afraid to be adventurous with the materials. I see so many people using oak logs, cobblestone, and stone bricks as the primary materials. Don't chain yourself to a few materials because you know they always look nice together, be adventurous and see what works and what doesn't. Get rid of what doesn't, and work on what did.

As for style, it looks a bit like American Colonial architectural style combined with "Minecraftian" style. You might want to play on those, unless it's not what you're shooting for.

Well, now that we've got that out of the way...

Learning to Build
  • Look at others' builds for inspiration. No, this does not mean looking at pics of builds, this means going on creative servers or downloading peoples' worlds and exploring them. Your brain is in more of an "active" mode and you'll absorb more.

• Look at other people's buildings. Find the essence of it, and what you like, then apply it in your own buildings. You might like a particular column design, or a building layout, so use it and absorb their style

• You can build as much as you want, but it means nothing if it looks just like everyone else's medieval houses. You can build a medieval house, but give it your own flair, your own
  • signature
  • , if you will. Something that sets it apart from the others, makes it visually interesting, and "yours" at the same time

• Find the zen in building. Building shouldn't just be tedious, it should be fun. If you're driven to get better, then you're going to get better faster

• Think. No, really. "Where did this resource come from" "what impact does the build have on the environment, and vice versa" "Would that actually be able to support itself?" "wood that organic matter near the ground rot?" "Who lives or works here? Are they rich, poor, elderly, a family, crippled, busy, an inventor, etc.? and what tools, machines, or comforts would they need?"

I could go on for hours, but I'll have to stop myself here.
Sorry for the wall of text, I really am.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions or anything
03/12/2015 6:47 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Grump
MonarchOfMadness
Simple Side View

Interior View

Very Simple Roof

Please note this is not my best work... I just simply made it in 5 minutes!
PS: I can zoom in more if you want.
03/12/2015 6:35 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Grump
MonarchOfMadness
May I suggest changing the bricks to stone bricks, and the fences to cobblestone walls.

The main blocks I use while building is Cobblestone (Stairs, Slabs, Normal), Stone Bricks (Stairs, Slabs, Normal), and Logs (Usually Oak or Spruce)

Maybe it will work out for you, maybe it won't, but when I use those blocks I can usually get a pretty decent outcome.

I'll build something really fast and send you an image.
03/12/2015 6:36 pm
irritatedCat
I'll try it out!
03/12/2015 6:26 pm
forgot about you
It looks pretty good. I think you should add a little more pizazz to the walls other then fences.
03/12/2015 6:30 pm
irritatedCat
That was one of my roadblocks while building this. What should I do? Maybe alternating ones? Some oak wood and dark oak wood ones?
03/12/2015 6:17 pm
irritatedCat
-[C4]-Dakrcraft.playat.ch

This server is the best for learning to build. Flying around will teach you a years worth of lessons. Its the one and only place for building Medieval and Modern, and is usually influenced by the resourcepacks Conquest and LDModern (or FlowsHD in some cases).

Please note: I am in no way affiliated with this server, apart from the fact that I learnt how to build from there.

Woah, almost reported you. Alright, I'll try it out.

EDIT: I'm not whitelisted?
03/12/2015 6:12 pm
-[C4]-
Dakrcraft.playat.ch

This server is the best for learning to build. Flying around will teach you a years worth of lessons. Its the one and only place for building Medieval and Modern, and is usually influenced by the resourcepacks Conquest and LDModern (or FlowsHD in some cases).

Please note: I am in no way affiliated with this server, apart from the fact that I learnt how to build from there.
03/12/2015 6:05 pm
Level 22 : Expert Explorer
SyntaxError73
I like your use of different kinds of doors!

Yes I can see the building, it's nice!
03/12/2015 6:06 pm
irritatedCat
Thanks! Any tips?
03/12/2015 1:59 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
Shirotsuchi
Good luck in building bud, it is something you can always improve on, no matter how good you get. One thing that I have found is to pick a block palette (a group of blocks that work together and that you will use throughout your build) and just start placing blocks. Over time and constantly looking at it you start to get an idea on what you want to build.

Another strategy if you already know the type of product you want to build is, is to try looking through other peoples completed works, and going off of them (of course making it into your own design). This can be really helpful when you run into a wall for inspiration.
03/12/2015 1:56 am
Level 23 : Expert Engineer
beszt91
Can't see the pics D:
03/12/2015 5:57 pm
irritatedCat
Dangit imgur!
03/12/2015 1:44 am
Level 26 : Expert Ranger
Puor
It's broken.