The ancient Mesoamerican city of Teotihuacan (in progress)

Macuahuitl's Avatar Macuahuitl10/28/12 5:03 pm
12/1/2012 2:37 pm
Macuahuitl's Avatar Macuahuitl
So since June, I think, I've slowly been working on a friend's server making the ancient Mesoamerican city of Teotihuacan. I have managed to create half of the Street of the Dead as well as the Pyramid of the Moon and the Moon Plaza. I had started it in a swamp because it was relatively flat, but I failed to scout the area early on to notice that directly north after the swamp was an area of extreme mountains and jungle. Since I had a quarter of the road done when I got to this point I decided to soldier on and blasted and cut my way through the mountains and jungle to finally complete the other quarter of the road. I also realized that the area south of the road is a winter environment. On the whole, I kinda failed to scout out a decent area. That has not stopped me. But with school taking up more of my time and the huge amount of work clearing the rest of the jungle and mountain, progress beyond the Plaza and Pyramid of the Moon has been slow.

I would like to ask for help, but I'm very specific in how I want it to look. And that specificity translates to heavy research in the city and measurements of the buildings to get them to scale. My two main resources thus far have been Rene Millon's The Teotihuacan Map (1973) and Suburo Sugiyama's chapter in The Archaeology of Measurement, Teotihuacan City Layout As A Cosmogram (2010). I even went so far as emailing Dr. Sugiyama himself asking him for accurate height measurements to which he had replied that he has been working on them for some time. I am in the process of trying to get a mod installed on the server to make clearing land easier. If this happens it would make things a whole lot easier. If you would like to help and have access to Millon's Teotihuacan Map and don't mind working with someone who wants to make an accurate to scale representation of the city, let me know. Otherwise, here are some images.

Also, any suggestions for texture packs to make this look better would be awesome.

Edit: Sorry about the images. I didn't know they'd be cut off. Here they are in a gallery at Imgur

Edit edit: Due to server issues I have to work on this on Single Player and took the opportunity to redo what I had done with more detail rather than focusing on the major monuments. This is what I have done so far,

http://imgur.com/a/JeX4z
Macuahuitl
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/01/2012 2:37 pm
Macuahuitl
Also added new images to the gallery showing off a texture pack I'm going to work with.
11/30/2012 8:47 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
apaden__24
Omg I love this
Any chance you would give the design away and give the download to your world?
I would love this in my server personally

Maybe like a new warp
11/30/2012 8:50 pm
Macuahuitl
When it's all done, most likely. I want to be able to create a virtual tour for people of what the city may have looked like (within the constraints of Minecraft)
12/01/2012 8:51 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
apaden__24
Awesome
again this is amazing + the def. you're going into is crazy

J/w about how big is it?
12/01/2012 10:09 am
Macuahuitl
My source for doing this is Rene Millon's The Teotihuacan Map, a huge survey done in the late 60s and early 70s. His original survey area was something like 26 km2 and ended up surveying 53 km2. He wanted to find the city edge which he constituted a swath of land 300 m wide without any surface artifacts. I don't think I'll end up recreating all 53 km2. Right now my initial intent is the area around the northern half of the Street of the Dead. In Millon's book each page was a 500m grid that started at the Ciudadela and extended out from there. So I'm going to do 10 of this grids that go from the Ciudadela to the Pyramid of the Moon. This will cover all of the Street of the Dead and ~450 m outward from the Street. When that is done, who knows? Maybe I'll do some more grids.
11/30/2012 8:13 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Miner
Gorillaz_101
This sounds epic
11/30/2012 8:10 pm
Macuahuitl
I had decided to restart from the beginning due to server issues and no longer being able to do this online. I took this as an opportunity to make some stylistic changes and start this in a flat land rather than have to worry about terraforming.

http://imgur.com/a/JeX4z
11/20/2012 12:36 pm
Macuahuitl
If any of you would like to visit and are still running 1.3 the address is - mcminecraftwest.cloudapp.net

Type “/t spawn Teotihuacan” (without the quotes) to warp straight there
11/11/2012 12:25 pm
Macuahuitl
Made the Pyramid of the Sun

http://i.imgur.com/M8eOG.jpg
11/06/2012 4:55 pm
Macuahuitl
I've been toying with the idea of making the Moon and Sun pyramid red.

Here is the beginning of the Sun Pyramid,

http://i.imgur.com/3o4Rw.png

And the Moon Pyramid with one side red,

http://i.imgur.com/Vgy2M.png

Thoughts?
10/28/2012 6:07 pm
Macuahuitl
Well, Teotihuacan was never an Aztec settlement. Old Teotihuacan existed a few centuries before the time of Christ and was used as a staging ground to build the Classic period Teotihuacan you see today. The city was looted and burned, by its own inhabitants it appears, in the 600s. You may be thinking of Tenochtitlan which was the largest of the three cities that made up the Triple Alliance when Cortes landed in what is now Veracruz. While both settlements are in the Basin of Mexico they are completely different places. Teotihuacan was built in the northwestern part of the Basin and had access to the nearby Valley of Puebla and the Gulf Coast which helped facilitate trade and have it grow to such a tremendous size. Tenochtitlan was built on a series of islands within Lake Texcoco and artificially built up over a few centuries. Tenochtitlan became what is today Mexico City.
10/28/2012 5:42 pm
ingen159260
Are you doing the old Aztec Teotihuacan or the modern day one?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome