Mob Grinder Help?

Armoured's Avatar Armoured1/26/16 6:37 pm
1 emeralds 387 4
1/28/2016 5:46 am
Karrfis's Avatar Karrfis
You can call me whatever you would like, whether it be stupid or just noob. Over the past month or so, I've spent hours in my world gathering the necessary materials to make a mob grinder from bedrock to skylimit. I hollowed the entire area, and built a GIANT Mob spawner made of stone to skylimit. Once I did all this, I tested the farm. After about 30 minutes I realized that the mobs on the upper grinders weren't spawning. That's when it hit me. I have to be near the mobs in order for them to spawn. So heres my question. Is there a way to make the mobs spawn even when I'm at bedrock level and they are at skylimit? In survival would be great, but creative is fine as I'd like to AT LEAST see how efficient the mob grinder is. Even if it is in a creative world.

Yes, I spent hours doing this on stream and NOBODY pointed this out...

Anyways thanks for the help.
Armoured
Level 1 : New Miner