Help me make a more natural cracked stone brick?

Mrwhitepantz's Avatar Mrwhitepantz11/2/13 3:01 am
1 emeralds 296 4
11/2/2013 11:33 am
Mrwhitepantz's Avatar Mrwhitepantz
Hey all you wonderful people, I was hoping there might be someone out there that can help me make a better cracked stone texture. I seem to be having problems getting the cracks to look natural, and flow smoothly.

Here's my texture

and this is what it looks like tiled

I'm really not sure what it is that makes the cracks just not work, but it looks really weird to me. If anyone knows of any decent pixel tutorials dealing with terrain like this, that would be much appreciated, as would any other help you can offer.

Thanks in advance.
Mrwhitepantz
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/02/2013 4:56 am
Level 24 : Expert Pixel Painter
EsteemPunk
I think it looks fine, but if you want to improve it that badly, I would suggest adding more depth to the cracks, because from what I can from the image, only one shade of grey has been used for them.
[edit] looking back at it, some of the cracks also seem very thick, so maybe make them thinner. Another thing to consider is maybe also add some bits where it looks like the brick has been chipped away.
I hope this helps you
11/02/2013 11:33 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
Mrwhitepantz
A few of these were actually quite helpful! Thank you.

I think it looks fine, but if you want to improve it that badly, I would suggest adding more depth to the cracks, because from what I can from the image, only one shade of grey has been used for them.
[edit] looking back at it, some of the cracks also seem very thick, so maybe make them thinner. Another thing to consider is maybe also add some bits where it looks like the brick has been chipped away.
I hope this helps you

Thank you. They do seem a little bit thick in some places, I will look at that. There are a few shades in there, but you're right, they are too similar to be easily identifiable, I will work on that a bit more.
11/02/2013 4:24 am
Level 32 : Artisan Narwhal
bethenna
It looks fine to me to be honest

Maybe you could just try and remember that when they're tiled they join up in a sort of way, so maybe you could use that by making a crack on one side an on the other so they work together more I guess. It might not work out but you could have a go

Sorry if I probably was absolutely of no help whatsoever!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome