Raspberry Pi 3 What i can and cant do

SeanDOT's Avatar SeanDOT12/6/17 11:14 pm
1 emeralds 521 8
12/22/2017 11:19 pm
SeanDOT's Avatar SeanDOT
So this is more of a question for multiple things, so first one is! I want to make a BungeeCord Server and have a small server for me and one person with a light plugin like essentials, is it possible? and SECOND!!! I notice that when i make my maps using world painter that WP is very CPU Hungry and uses alot of my CPU, my CPU is a Single Core 2.5GHz processor, so anyway would a Cluster of Raspberry Pi 3's which i believe each are clocked at 1.0GHz could a cluster process what ever i am doing faster then my current computer can?

Info on the BungeeCord option. Ill be connecting a HDD or a SSD with a Usb adapter so storage wont be a concern in this so it will be on Windows 10 or the lower version for it. Thanks!
SeanDOT
Level 30 : Artisan Prince

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/07/2017 1:45 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Haloflooder
Short answer: Yes to the bungeecord/minecraft server. No to worldpainter.

Do you plan to have multiple servers for bungeecord? If you only plan to have one server, there's no point in running a bungeecord server. You will be able to run a bungeecord/minecraft server on a Raspberry Pi 3 but don't expect it to run smoothly since generating chunks will push the cpu pretty hard. Other than that, minecraft should run OK.

Even though the raspberry pi 3 has 4 cores running at 1.2 Ghz. That still doesn't mean minecraft or worldpainter will use all of it's cores. Minecraft uses about 2 cores/threads for the main game while it can use other cores for netty (networking). So if you make a cluster of raspberry pi's. Bungeecord/Minecraft/WP wouldn't be able to take advantage of the processing power from the cluster of pi's.

I personally don't have experience with WP but from doing a little bit of research. It doesn't really support multithreading that well as far as I know. I could be wrong about this but I wouldn't expect it to be better than your computer.

One last thing about raspberry pi's. The raspberry pi cpu is an ARM cpu (basically, it's a phone cpu). The only version of Windows you can install on it is Windows 10 IoT and you won't be able to run regular applications on it unless they were compiled with ARM and not x86_64. It's also better to install raspbian (based on Debian which is a linux OS) since it's more optimized for running as a server.
12/07/2017 7:57 pm
SeanDOT
thank you! that helped alot!
12/08/2017 9:10 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Haloflooder
Let me know if you have any other questions about the raspberry pi. If you need help running a bungeecord/minecraft server on it. I can help you through the process or you can just find a tutorial on google/youtube.
12/22/2017 11:19 pm
SeanDOT
Okay, I'm getting a Pi in the mail tomorrow so yeah, Ill hit you up then
12/06/2017 11:57 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
ItsFadeIN
Before you even think about this do you know if your Internet is strong enough to hold a server and do you know how to port forward
12/07/2017 7:56 pm
SeanDOT
Yes ive already done portfowarding but as my actual computer is pretty slow so i use a hosting company for it, With the Pi's on the other hand they'll be connected through Ethernet and linked to my main server hopefully with no problem still trying to get help on the subject thought, and Internet speed is no problem trust me
12/07/2017 8:42 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
ItsFadeIN
knowing this I would think getting a few Pi's link together should be able to hold a few servers
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome