Server Ownership Verification

Zaralith's Avatar Zaralith4/15/12 11:43 pm
2 emeralds 16k
NOTE FROM PARIL:
This thread is outdated and no longer applies to the current situation at PMC. As a result I've kept the old text in a spoiler just for historical purposes, but do NOT follow them! Any reports of "MOTD verification" will be dismissed.

The new system is much easier and automated. Instructions for:
NEW SERVERS: Go to My Account < Servers, and post your server as usual. Once you have verified via the automated system that you indeed have console access, you can post the server - it will then delete any conflicting posts that match your IP/port combination. If you just wish to keep the post alive but not visible, uncheck the "Publish Live" option.
EXISTING SERVERS: Go to the Update Server menu of your server, and re-verify your server. This should fix any "Please verify your server" errors you may encounter.

If your server has been removed accidentally or, you believe, mistakenly, please contact a site moderator and we will help you fix the issue.

Click to reveal
Hello Everyone

This thread describes the only way to verify ownership of your server should you find that another user has posted a link to your server preventing you from posting it yourself. If you find that someone else is listing your server and claiming that it is theirs, you can verify that the server is yours in a very simple step. Please note that Planet Minecraft considers the person with access to the direct server files to be the owner of the server and recommends that you do not share access with these files with anyone that you do not absolutely trust. Also note that multiple owners will not be allowed to post a server more than once, only the first verified owner to post the server will be allowed, meaning that if a theft request is made and the original poster can provide similar proof, the original theft request will be denied or overturned.

To verify you own the server:
1 Change your server's motd to say "<yourpmcname> owns this server"
2 File a report on the server that you are being told conflicts with yours.
3 Your report should read "Requesting MOTD Verification for this server" and nothing else.
4 Do Not give us the following in the report: Your PMC Username, we can see who reported things, the server IP, we will get that from the server listing, a screenshot showing that it is verified, we will check for ourselves, a link to the server's website, websites can be made to say anything, any words other than a simple "Requesting MOTD Verification", we don't need it, the server is likely not 'stolen', it is listed under the same ip and port from a bug on the PMC Server listings.

The ONLY exception to the above rules are if a server link that you are given when posting your server is broken. If that is the case, send a PM to a site moderator (They have yellow names on the site and can be found listed here). I suggest sending a PM to the top couple of site mods as shown when sorting by last seen in the same message so that you can receive a fast response in case you message a moderator who is not on as often. When you need to send a PM request, post the following information and nothing more in the message. We will ignore all PMs that do not follow the format below.

PM Template
"I am requesting MOTD Verification for my server. The link that I received is broken and so I was not able to report it as required. The link that I was shown is <INSERTLINKHERE>. Please help, Thanks."

To change the motd of your server:
1. Open the server.properties file in your favorite text editor (Notepad, emacs, vi, etc)
2. Find the line that shows your message of the day (will start with "motd=")
3. Change the message of the day to be "motd=NAME owns this server" with NAME being your Planet Minecraft username (not your minecraft username)
Example: My server would say "motd=Zaralith owns this server"
4. Save the server.properties file
5. Reload/restart the server so that you can see that in the saved servers list

Now report the server listing that contains the address of your server and ask for MOTD verification. A PMC Site moderator will check this to delete the server submission. DO NOT post a screenshot of this, we will not accept it, screenshots can be faked. DO NOT PM the server listing to a moderator, it will be ignored.

Now post the server yourself. If you do not want to have your server listed publicly on this site, keep the server submission in Draft status. This will prevent it from being posted by someone else and will not allow the server to be seen by other people.

Once again, after the MOTD has been changed, report the submission that has the identical address to you (Must be same IP and Port, if no port listed, it is 25565) and you must be patient. Posting forum threads about it will result in them being deleted. Sending moderators a PM about the server will be ignored, sending a screenshot will be ignored, we will not log on to the server and ask, we do not need to log in to the server to check if you have made the change.

If you have any questions about this, read the post again. If you notice any inconsistencies or ways around this, please PM Zaralith. Remember that all standard site rules apply to this process. Thank you for posting previous suggestions.
Zaralith
Retired Moderator
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard