Marine Wonders Datapack Contest - RESULTSgrade

YokaiS's Avatar YokaiS10/30/21 12:10 pm history
15 emeralds 569 22
2/8/2022 9:44 am
Chimerabot's Avatar Chimerabot
MARINE WONDERS DATAPACK CONTEST RESULTS

https://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/pmc/events/marine-wonders-datapack-contest-641132/

Yay, results! Sorry it took a while, school got in the way and I had to work on a datapack as well. I'm really happy that many people were able to join the contest, it's really fun to do stuff like this so thanks to everyone who participated!

Here is the video that goes through the results, I suggest you watch it because it's pretty exciting! (also it took me a while to make it so pls dont tell me that my work was for nothing)

This is the Google Doc I used for analyzing and judging each datapack (It includes more in-depth info like bugs i found): https://docs.google.com/document/d/17dbZcXHBqVP9nlD0KEWQbGBar--edP6RT1wEk7zLu6w/edit?usp=sharing

1st Place
Spirited Seas by SpiritTheMan

Creativity - 10

Smoothness - 8

Entertainment - 9

Balance - 8

Animation - 2

Total: 37/40 = 92.5%

Each mob is unique with very cool items to use, and everything seems very special in some way, with wonderfully made models and textures. I absolutely adore the crystal fish and its protectors, they’re cute and shooting bubbles to push away mobs is so creative! Having the special buffs for the horse is also interesting. I might say that I would want some more of the mobs spawning naturally in my world, but it does keep everything balanced since the things you get are pretty useful. Apart from the few minor bugs, this datapack is one of the coolest submissions that I have hoped to see in this contest.

Congrats, Spirit! Join my Discord server for your custom role :))

Here is the fanart prize

2nd Place
Hydro Fury by The ExiIed FeIIow

Creativity - 10

Smoothness - 7

Entertainment - 9

Balance - 6

Animation - 3

Total: 35/40 = 87.5%

Krossy has made several epic bossfight datapacks, and this is certainly no exception. Making everything in the pack creative and interesting while fitting the theme perfectly is the genius of this creation, and is exactly what a minecraft player seeking for new things would want. The bossfight and the reward is definitely very enjoyable. However, the rooms in the prism of the depths seemed a bit too crazy for me. Having a bunch of guardians in a small space is the perfect recipe for immediate death, and is almost impossible to move onto the next room without cheezing it, and that can hurt the epicness. Other than that and the bugs, I would consider this datapack to be a very impressive work of art.

Congrats, krossy! You'll get a custom role :))

3rd Place
Baby Krakens by Chimerabot

Creativity - 10

Smoothness - 7

Entertainment - 7

Balance - 8

Animation - 2

Total: 34/40 = 85%

This datapack was definitely worth the time taken to make it, submitted on the day before the deadline. The vibrant textures and detailed models are the most impressive out of all the other creations and the idea is very creative. The detail added is nice, like only being able to hatch the kraken in water and being able to put it in a bucket. I feel like it would be good to have a small chance of finding them spawning naturally because they fit the environment perfectly, and it would be very exciting to find them. In short, this is a well made datapack that adds a very cute and rewarding companion, and makes a great addition to the game.

Congrats, Chimmy! You'll get a special role :))

4th Place
Ocean Breaths by FunkyToc

Creativity - 9

Smoothness - 10

Entertainment - 7

Balance - 7

Total: 33/40 = 82.5%

The concept is simple, yet it definitely adds a very cool new way of travelling in the ocean. The idea of making a pack with small changes to world generation to make it compatible with other datapacks is very clever and I love it. One thing I would suggest, though, is to maybe make the duration of the water breathing shorter, or make the bubbles appear less frequently, because being able to stay underwater with them theoretically for as long as you want doesn’t seem very balanced to me. Other than that, this is a great datapack!

5th Place
Marine Life by Flyrr

Creativity - 8

Smoothness - 6

Entertainment - 6

Balance - 10

Animation - 2

Total: 32/40 = 80%

This datapack is nice and calming to say the least, it’s good to have more things to add life to the ocean. The models, textures and animation is pretty simple, but I’ve always liked the idea of adding Jellyfish to the game. Seahorses are something I’ve personally never thought of, and I think that’s creative. The Diver’s potion, although obtainable early game, is pretty rare, and I like how it’s properly balanced that way. Overall, I think this is a simple and balanced datapack that would make a nice and casual addition to the game.

6th Place
Giant Squids by HoboMaggot

Creativity - 7

Smoothness - 7

Entertainment - 6

Balance - 8

Animation - 3

Total: 31/40 = 77.5%

Similarly to Flynecraft’s Marine Life datapack, this datapack is a nice addition to simply add more life to the ocean. I like the detail added, like the squid spawning only in deep ocean biomes, dropping a large amount of ink sacs upon death, and poisoning the player with ink when they’re behind the squid and it gets hurt. The animations definitely give them more life. Overall, I think this is nice and simple, especially as a combination with other datapacks.

7th Place
Bottle Breath by iceNslice

Creativity - 6

Smoothness - 9

Entertainment - 6

Balance - 7

Total: 28/40 = 70%

This datapack is an interesting approach to fitting with the theme, and I must say it is creative. However, it is inaccurate and doesn’t make much sense. When you breathe, you inhale oxygen (O2) and exhale to release carbon dioxide (CO2) because it’s a toxic gas, but this datapack implies that you are filling CO2 with your lungs with the bottle. You would either be a plant performing photosynthesis, or you are indeed a human and are dying from the CO2. Sorry for being nerdy here, but it’s just something that really bothers me. Basically, this is a datapack with a concept I like, but it doesn’t make much sense, which I believe is important.

8th Place
Underwater Exploration by Bittu5134

Creativity - 9

Smoothness - 2

Entertainment - 6

Balance - 6

Animation - 2

Total: 25/40 = 62.5%

I love all of the ideas made for this datapack, and I think it’s one of the very creative submissions for this contest. However, the amount of major bugs is very overwhelming to the point that several things are not functional. Testing is extremely important when making datapacks, so please make sure to do that. In short, there’s just too many large bugs, but the ideas are creative and I see a lot of potential in this datapack.

If you weren’t chosen, don’t be ashamed of what you made, because every submission was unique and I did enjoy testing them all. Congrats to the winners, and again, thanks to everyone else who made a datapack for this!
YokaiS
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Senpai