Grief-Proof Your Server!
262Views, 1 today
Get Embed Code
Level 22 : Expert Nerd
Posted 07/11/12 8:33:23 am , last updated: 07/31/12 12:00:01 pm
Hey people! this is the blog I am putting together for the contest. Enjoy it, but please note, it is not done. This is the 2nd part of my server tutorials and I believe no one has guides on Permissions so here it goes, and this will probably the longest entry so please drop me a diamond if you like it. It only is one click.
Alright, so you just installed your server and put it up on PMC.
1 hour later...
Civ: Oh jolly! There are 3 people on.
CivilizationLord logged on
Hey wanna pvp with me?
This is a building server.
Not any more
"Turns around and sees entire area blow up"
SH**! Excuss my french. Now, /ban Pun
xXRavenXx Left the Game
Destroyer12311 Left the Game
PunkedViper Left the Game
If one of your names were the above, the author means no offence.
And now CivilizationLord presents to you...
The Ultimate Guide to Grief-Proofing your Server!
These are all complex plugins designed to keep your server from being griefed and add a whole new dimension.
Note: This tutorial applies to PEX though the config file editing is the same.
1.Download whatever you are using from Bukkit.org.
2. Run it in your server, it should generate the neccesary files. ( If you are using PEX, you will have 3 plugins, this tutorial does not cover ModifyWorld. Bacon Avenger has a nice video for that on the PEX page.)
3. Download Notepad++, open it up go to language, YAML and really important tip, go to settings, language menu, and select yaml on the side. Check replace Tab with spaces. Remember Bukkit or YAML does not support tabs.
4. Open up the permissions file using Notepad++. As far as I am concerned, PMC does not support YML so don't copy the following. I slipt it up into parts so it is easier to look at. :)
Another use of the node would be to give all the permissions to a certain player.
- Permissions is case-sensitive. Stick to lower-case except when you put in the name of a group
- PEX does not support stuff like build.false or command.bukkit.say. You need to make the person op or use Modify World (Set up not included). If you want to use these commands please use PemissionsBukkit.
So you have your permissions set up and it looks something like this....
You are probably thinking what is inheritace? So I will tell you. If there was no such thing as inheritance then you would have to add the modifyworld.* node to every rank. But since I added on the inheritace, now VIP as all the permissions Guest does. This saves a lot of time. Now let's say that you made a group called Admins and gave it an inheritance of VIP. The Admin would have bothe Guest and VIP's permissions because Guest's perms is linked with VIP's. But PEX doesn't know to give VIP Guest's permissions or Guest VIP's permissions so you need to make ranks.
Ranks are simple. In the consle type something like this: /pex group NAME rank #. So the higher the number, the lower it is down the scale so I might want to give Guest the rank 5000. I want VIP to be better so I give it 4000. NEVER PUT 0 FOR A RANK. PEX will not read this. Now use the commands /pex promote PLAYER or /pex demote NUMBER to modify ranks. The demote number is what amount you want to add to the rank number. So I would do if I wanted to move someone from VIP to Guest /pex demote 1000. This is a ranking ladder.
It should look like this:
- You don't need to give the lowest rank an inheritance
- You don't need to give someone with a star an inheritance
- You can have multiple ranking ladders. See the PEX wiki for more details.
- Please note that there are two spaces between the prefix: and the prefix itself.
- I think you need to enable the ChatManager in the config file.
- You can also change the prefix in the game as always.
- I recommend making the lower ranks chat's duller than white so Admin's sticks out.
Nice job on installing perms! If you have a problem post it below and if this gets more support. Tutorial 5: In-Game Commands is coming! And as a parting gift...
Ever dreamed of having the ultimate creative server? 100% lag-free and easy to set up? Well plots are the king. PlotMe is a 100% grief-free, problem-free, and admin-free. A user just has to enter /p claim and voila!
1. Download PlotMe by ZachBora. It is a popular plugin so it is easy to find.
2. Run your server generate the files.
3. Open up the config with your YML editor (You have on right?)
4. Inside it it will say this:
Now plots are square so you can adjust you Plot Size and everything else in the world. I recommend the default settings. Now you will need to create you own world.
I Have One World
1. Change plotworld to whatever the name of your world is (default: world)
2. Delete the world you have. Run your server
3. Let it generate.
4. When you go on it should have tons of plots. Remove the plot you are standing on and build your spawn.
I Have Several Worlds using Multiverse
1. Enter the world you like in the config. plotworld will do.
2. In-Game or on the console type /mv create normal -g PlotMe
4. Your done!
World Edit and World Guard
World Edit does not actully protect the server but is required for World Guard. I use it frequently. Here are some of the commands you use. Remember // is the world edit command.
To protect an area, select a region. If you want it from bedrock to air use //expand vert. Then enter the command /region define members
Then... /region flag This edits the properties of that area.
/region for more.
Thanks for reading! Expect more of this including Factions soon! This blog as taken roughly 9 straight hours to make so far and I finished 1 minute before it ended. I made the banner myself too! Please diamond if you like it!
- Remove lines in spoilers
- Add plugins
- Add Grief- Proof Tips
NOTE: If you are rating this blog for the contest please hold off as this is not done yet.
|Tags:||Permissions, World, Edit, Guard, Plot, Plots, Plotme, How, CivilizationLord, Civ, Server, Civilization, Tutorial|
Update #8 : 07/31/2012 12:00:01 pm7/31/12
Update #7 : 07/29/2012 3:03:06 pm7/29/12
Update #6 : 07/27/2012 12:59:27 pm7/27/12
Update #5 : 07/26/2012 4:17:36 pm7/26/12
- New Achievement
- New Tutorial
- Future Update bar
Update #4 : 07/26/2012 8:16:59 am7/26/12
Update #3 : 07/20/2012 5:18:09 pm7/20/12
Update #2 : 07/13/2012 7:57:36 pm7/13/12
Update #1 : 07/11/2012 8:43:24 am7/11/12
Join us to post comments.