How to fill spaces in a mansion?

Wazy_Hemisphere's Avatar Wazy_Hemisphere8/23/17 7:03 pm history
1 emeralds 346 9
8/24/2017 5:09 am
Wazy_Hemisphere's Avatar Wazy_Hemisphere
So... I'm making a mansion (as a dungeon) for my adventure map...

And I'm wondering what I should put in this large space of a mansion....

I've put a library, and I'm thinking of putting the dining room and kitchen...
Obviously, I'll put the bedrooms too; I'm planning to put in on the second and... third floor I think.

So... what more rooms can I put in a massive mansion? Alchemy lab? Marble gallery? Outer wall? Clock tower? Abandoned mine? Colosseum? Underground catacomb? (I was just randomly spitting areas from SotN btw XD; I seriously have no idea what to put here...)

Please tell me.

Oh, and I won't put a garage; planning to make the mansion either medieval or 19th century-ish...

P.S.: Maybe an easier question would be: Remind me of all the areas in Resident Evil 1?

I'd like catchy quotes from the game (or SotN) too (^-^); so please tell me if you know any.
Wazy_Hemisphere
Level 7 : Apprentice Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/23/2017 11:13 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Indoor garden room thing?
08/24/2017 5:09 am
Wazy_Hemisphere
I'll consider it, thanks for the suggestion.
08/23/2017 10:45 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
FangABXY
I've had this problem quite a lot. Perhaps make those rooms larger or add more rooms.
08/24/2017 4:39 amhistory
Wazy_Hemisphere
Add more rooms is what I want, but that's exactly what I asked above - I didn't know what to put in those rooms m(_ _)m
Larger rooms would work well, if the mansion weren't meant to be a dungeon XD - too many big rooms and... you know... it won't be too labyrinth-ish...

I didn't mention this, but during this part of the adventure map, I'll put blindness on the player - I have my reasons. So, under that consideration, putting too many big rooms is a big no
08/23/2017 10:32 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Architect
EmperorBOSS
Yeah, definitely try what Nitwick suggested; all of these rooms are components to my mega-mansion I'm building.
In addition, you could try the following for a mansion:
  • A large, window and chandelier-lit hallway/gallery filled with artworks and mirrors, very popular in the Golden Ages of France and Italy.
  • Several rooms dedicated to servants and maids (or peasants, if we're talking medieval ages).
  • A tea room, as most grand mansions from Britain have specific rooms where the maids bring them tea.
  • You mentioned putting a dining room in, but I'm thinking for what you're describing, a banqueting hall sounds more appropriate. In other words, a large, two-story room (possibly with a vaulted ceiling) that is occupied with a gargantuan dining table with at least 30 chairs. Search up Hearst Mansion's dining/banquet hall; that is a resounding example of what I'm talking about.
  • Drawing rooms, as Nitwick mentioned, for the two wings of the house (as a mansion of that size must have) but they must be meticulous and very well-detailed with only the fanciest of sofas, armchairs and tables.
  • Writing room/study, perhaps off the library, where the owner/master would write personal notes or letters.
  • Music room, where the owner of the house would play his instruments. The centerpiece of a music room is typically a grand piano.
    • Better yet, a mansion of that caliber could make use of a two-story grand ballroom, where guests could dance to the tune of music from harps and pianos.

• A family dining room, perhaps connected to the kitchen.
  • A massive bedroom suite for the master, with budoir, dressing room and even an ensuite grand bath.
  • Perhaps a conservatory, a sitting room filled with natural light and plants, with doors that lead out onto the gardens.
  • Grand salon, a French concept similar to the drawing room, but double in size, complete with a marble fireplace, classy, gold-plated furniture, chandeliers, and often a piano. This is usually the main entertaining room for guests.
  • A grand entry gallery/lobby/foyer which greets people into the house. A foyer for a mansion is almost always two or three floors tall. You could put the main staircase in here or in a separate room. A chandelier fits perfectly in the center of this room, as does a medallion.
  • You want at least two or three staircases in your mansion.
  • Consider putting a nice, large basement with a bunch of sitting areas.
    • Typically, such a basement of medieval age has a nice, low-ceiling stone wine cellar.

• A lot of hallways that interconnect the rooms of the house together.

My source of this series of rooms comes from both research and experience. I've been to many royal residences, like Versailles, Neuchwanstein, and Schonnburn Palace.
If you want, you could send me pictures of what you've put inside the mansion, and I could help you out.
I truly wish you the best of luck!
--EmperorBOSS
08/24/2017 4:46 am
Wazy_Hemisphere
Sounds very cool...! I'll try to see if I can make those cool-sounding rooms like the tea-room, music room, maid room, etc... without putting signs or other texts to tell the player exactly what that room is...
Thanks! Very helpful!
08/23/2017 7:13 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Alas, no reminders of resident evil areas, and no catchy quotes from me either. Just rooms.

Downton Abbey is a pretty good source for inspiration, so here's a few notable rooms.

I haven't heard of a big fancy place that didn't have 1-3+ of these.
downtonabbey.wikia.com/wiki/Drawing_Room

This can take up a good amount of space; easily a large two floor's worth.
downtonabbey.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Hall

While the link doesn't pose much of a description, places do in fact have "sitting rooms" which are basically space takers while waiting to see the big faces who live at the place.
downtonabbey.wikia.com/wiki/Sitting_Room_(Dower_House)

Billiard Room, a fancy name for a place where people play old games.
downtonabbey.wikia.com/wiki/Billiard_Room

Here's a list of some more rooms.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-general-list-of-the-rooms-in-a-mansion
08/23/2017 8:13 pm
Wazy_Hemisphere
Sounds good! It's a shame I could't get anything to put reference to from here, but they seem like a good idea...

Though I wonder... if billiard isn't... too modern?

Oh well... now I really need to think about how to make the mansion (out of wood, by the way; I have my reasons) into a dungeon... I'll need to mess the layout a bit huh... locking some doors, making a labyrinth, etc.

Thank you very much! I'll check those links!
08/23/2017 9:53 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Big places like that don't necessarily follow the rules of logical, easy to find places engineering :p so having rooms leading to rooms leading to other rooms is a viable option. As for the room types, they can be adapted into older variations, conceptually speaking. I'm sure medieval nobles had places to entertain themselves somehow... can't have sat around all day...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome