Minecraft's biggest zoo! [TAKING SUGGESTIONS]

Kotoriken's Avatar Kotoriken11/27/15 1:02 pm
1 emeralds 9.1k 182
6/26/2017 6:01 am
Eli the Zeratoed's Avatar Eli the Zeratoed
So, due to seeing hundreds of small zoo projects and unfinished series of zoo building, I've decided to build a zoo of my own.

What's so special about it? Well...

I plan to have over 150 exhibits by the end of the project, and 10 buildings such as foodcourts, restroom facilities, gift shops, etc.

But I need you guys' help. I'm not the best with ideas. So before I ask for specific ideas, let me explain some in-depth plans.

Like some other zoos, I will be using mod animals. Specifically, these mods:

Click to reveal
Mo'Creatures
Pavocado's Exotic Birds
Animals +

But since even these excellent mods lack some animals I'd like to add, I'll be building several with player heads and blocks. I'll be doing many of these like this, but likely an even mix with the mod animals.

So what do I need? All the obscure animals you can find, of course! Recommend weird species you've found on the internet or learned about in grade school.

What's in it for you, you ask? Well, if you recommend an animal and I build an exhibit for it, you'll have a sponsor sign placed on the enclosure. Even if you don't recommend it, and it's a mob animal, you can claim sponsorship! I sort of just like the idea of people being credited, as if you go to an actual zoo, there are sponsorship signs everywhere. When the map is made available, these will be easily seen.

So let's get onto the list! I'll need you all to post everything you think of. Claim sponsorship for any of the exhibits without an asterisk and name next to them. Please also take a look through existing exhibits, as I'd also like to have sponsorships for them!

The animal list and sponsors have been moved to a project post which will be linked as soon as I figure out how to insert links.

Edit: tada http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/minecrafts-best-zoo-huge-wip/
Kotoriken
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/27/2015 1:31 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
GiraffeCircle
[WARNING - UGLY ANIMAL]

This MIGHT be a little too... ugly. One of the ugliest species, in fact. How about a... blobfish.

Another suggestion is to make a small mammal area, or even just a mannal area, and you could use player heads (you'd probably needa change your skin to a skin with this animal (I could make it if you want)) to make a guinea pig!!! (on the warning, this is NOT the ugly one in my opinion.)

Also, I'd love to help if you need it!
11/27/2015 1:35 pm
Kotoriken
The blobfish, oh my god... I love blobfish, they're so cute!

And small animal area, that's a really good idea! I'll put you down as a sponsor for the entire area, plus the blobfish.

And also... as random as it is, I might as well put down giraffe as well, as your username reminded me of it!

As for assistance with the build, if I can get a small server going, I will certainly need as much help as I can get! Decorating that many exhibits is doing to be no easy task.
11/27/2015 1:43 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Farmer
AdamStormCloak
For small animal area you could have these two.
ants
fireflies
mosquitoes
stink bugs

also for aquarium you can have penguins on ice or something
11/27/2015 1:44 pm
Kotoriken
@Adam: I'll certainly add those. I'm going to simply make an insect house, attatched to the small animal building.
11/27/2015 1:47 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
Han Solo
how bout deers
or sharks
11/27/2015 1:50 pm
Kotoriken
@Han Solo: Both are added!

Due to the large influx of suggestions, we will be limiting credited submissions to 2 per person from now on.
11/27/2015 1:51 pm
GiraffeCircle
I can start on making skins for the player head animals. Just tell me a list and I'll get going soon!
11/27/2015 1:58 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder
DeJay
I'd like to sponsor the Savanna
Suggestion:
Snow Leopard
11/27/2015 2:07 pm
Level 49 : Master Fox
Orbiter
Jellyfish or Anglerfish
11/27/2015 2:12 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
Malaionus
You should have an arctic area

Polar bears, Arctic foxes, penguins, seals

etc.
11/27/2015 2:15 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Skinner
SkullRunnerGR
Tiger and Cheetah
11/27/2015 2:21 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1279828
[deleted]
11/27/2015 3:16 pm
Kotoriken
Adding just because I thought nobody would ever suggest it. 10/10.

Also, I have returned from Black Friday shopping, and have added all of the suggestions that were posted while I was gone! Thank you to everyone who has suggested exhibits so far.
11/27/2015 3:25 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Raindrop_Peaceful
I'd recommend adding a red panda to the zoo. They are rare and super adorable! I looked through a couple comments and couldn't find any red panda being mentioned. I'm sure somewhere though... I also didn't see it listed in the exhibit organization and I about died. All my favorite zoos have red pandas. They're not as rare as an actual panda, kind small (raccoon sized), and their faces will make you scream because of the cuteness!!
11/27/2015 3:26 pm
Kotoriken
Oh, yeah! I love red pandas. They're super cute! Although I'm not sure how I'd make one in Minecraft, I'll certainly add them.
11/27/2015 3:28 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
MrBlokzz123
Bear and Walrus
11/27/2015 3:35 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
MusicalBox
I know it's very cliché, but what about a lion?
11/27/2015 3:36 pm
Kotoriken
We've already got that down, but I'll put you down as the sponsor.
11/27/2015 4:23 pm
Kotoriken
I apologize for the brief disappearance of the thread, however, due to a very quick-working moderator, the thread is back! Suggestions can resume.
11/27/2015 4:26 pm
GiraffeCircle
Woo hoo! I was wondering why I couldn't get to it. Thanks mod who fixed it!
11/27/2015 4:27 pm
GiraffeCircle
Sorry if you already saw this, but earlier I said I'll do the skins for the player heads you need for smaller animals, so if you want me to do it, can I get a list of the animals I need to do so I can start working on them?

(Also, an idea for animals that are hard to do and are bigger than one head, I could make multiple heads to stack on top of each other!)
11/27/2015 4:36 pm
Kotoriken
I apologize, I did not see that! We just need the ones for the smaller animals, as I actually have larger-scale builds planned out for some large animals (shown here: Carnaby and Umbrella cockatoo, honey badger, gray hyena and otters):

Another thing is that I will be building the zoo itself in 1.7, but displaying the map in 1.8 due to less FPS issues and better optifine. That's why the hat layers on the player heads in the screenshots do not show up, but in the final version, they will.
11/27/2015 4:32 pm
Kotoriken
So for the first building update: I'm working on the aquarium and external aquarium enclosures first. I made the river otter (completed exhibit, to the right) and Emperor penguin (empty exhibit soon to be detailed) to set boundaries, and am currently building...uh, like, little external roof pathways. Not sure if there's a word for them. But once the aquarium building itself is done I will go to work on the other main buildings: the aviaries and small animal/insect house.

(no shaders for now, as I'm doing some heavy worldediting for biome changes.)

(also, for those who anticipate a server: I highly recommend using LD Modern, as several metadatas are used to make the build look its best with decorations. it's also a beautiful pack in general.)
11/27/2015 5:07 pm
GiraffeCircle
Okay, I have a list of animals I'll do. If some of there are in mods, or you need other ones, please tell me.

- Frog
- Turtle
- Chameleon
- Crab
- Sea Bass
- Blobfish <3
- Guinea Pig
- Mole
- Mouse
- Owls
11/27/2015 5:13 pm
Kotoriken
We have the owls, mice, turtles and chameleon, and that's it. Everything else would be appreciated, thank you so much!

Also, what would everyone's opinions on a dolphin/sea lion show area be? It'd be another sponsored bit, but would look kinda like this:

Since I have a little over 25 underground blocks to work with, I'd make it an underground (or hell, even balcony) section inside the aquarium building, with the balcony rails and seats a few blocks above and a 5-6 block deep rectangular pool, with a circular show pool.
11/27/2015 5:36 pm
GiraffeCircle
I like that idea, but I think the pool would have to be bigger than that one, and maybe add a little bit of land for the sea lions.

Also, the player heads will be up shortly (within a few days?) with the start of the title being [Zoo Animals] and then the animal so you can access it easily when they're up.
11/27/2015 5:41 pm
Kotoriken
Alright, thank you.

And it wouldn't be the only enclosure for the sea lions/dolphins. It'd be a separate, decorative thing with maybe a single sea lion or dolphin. But yes, I agree, it should be bigger.
11/27/2015 5:48 pm
GiraffeCircle
Awesome! I just finished the frog head and I'm about to upload it!
11/27/2015 6:25 pm
Kotoriken
Alright, thank you!

So another build update:

I'm working on the aquarium building itself, and I've finished the dolphin pool and gift shop areas:

Through the middle of the aquarium, I'm planning on having a river-like tank with an arched pathway through it for the river dolphins. And of course, small aquariums for fish. In the way back is going to be the show pool, and on the other frontal wall the sea lions.
11/28/2015 10:53 am
Kotoriken
Gonna bump this really quick so we can get more sponsorships and suggestions! I'm nearly done with the entire aquarium, so I'll need more ideas soon.
11/28/2015 11:31 am
GiraffeCircle
Cool!
11/28/2015 11:50 am
Kotoriken
And now, today's first build update.

In terms of the aquarium, I have nearly everything planned out. All the required enclosures (sans Emperor penguin but I'll get to that) are planned and have reserved spaces, and I will next be working on the main area for the sea lions. After that, I'll be making the show pool behind the wall with the fish emblem:

After the show pool is finished, I will be leaving decoration for later, and finish the roof and Emperor penguin enclosure outside. To the left of the main building will start the arctic enclosures (polar bears, seals, etc), and to the right the small animal building.

After that? I start on the small animal/insect house.

(on a completely different note, one of my birds decided to stop by! he wouldn't go away until I took a picture of him...

11/28/2015 12:00 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Procrastinator
AtmosCailean
Add something like the desert dome (Henry Doorly zoo) unless you already have a dome of some kind...
11/28/2015 12:05 pm
Kotoriken
We've already got a butterfly dome. I, personally, do not want to make more than one dome, as it may look a bit clunky and look like I overused worldedit. However, for the desert section, it is something I've been planning. Since it will mostly be small enclosures it's likely to be one of the last things I do, possibly near the entrance.
11/28/2015 1:07 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Batman
Squirrel
cool idea
11/28/2015 1:08 pm
Squirrel
you should add a squirrel exibit. Thats my favorite animal.
11/28/2015 1:14 pm
Squirrel
This is so cool. I really want to help with this. Ive always wanted to build a real looking zoo but never got around to it. Can I help? if you have a server you could put it on there.
11/28/2015 1:15 pm
Kotoriken
@WFlyingSquirrel: Thank you! I aim to have the project be as cool as physically possible. About the server? I'm not sure. I do not have a server and I'm a bit busy with vet bills so hosting is not an option. I'm unsure if I'd be able to put it on a server, but if I would be able to, I'd certainly do it! I'd love assistance.

Another build update:

Gift shop whale? Gift shop whale.

11/28/2015 1:42 pm
GiraffeCircle
OMG! A gift shop whale!

On another note, the frog, crab, and sea bass are finished and uploaded! Woo hoo!
11/28/2015 2:10 pm
Kotoriken
Alright, thank you!

So currently, I am working on fleshing out the aquarium tanks. I need to just place glass on all of them and then I can work on the show pool.

But for a finished enclosure for once: how do the sea lions look? This is their main indoor tank. The outdoor enclosure will be finished soon!

11/28/2015 2:18 pm
Squirrel
I am so obsessed with this
11/28/2015 2:23 pm
Kotoriken
So, I need opinions on something.

Since with the player head fish, we can't actually submerge them in water due to awkward air bubbles, I've had to come up with an alternative tank design. It uses blue stained glass and odd placement of the heads. How does it look? This one's for the pufferfish, though the sea bass, crab and other fish will use the same idea if it's alright.

11/28/2015 2:32 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Def + Lego
Can I claim the aquarium gift shop? Also, you should add glowfish to the zoo
11/28/2015 2:39 pm
Kotoriken
@Def: Sure! And you mean neon tetras? I'm not sure how I'd get those to work, but I could try.

Just to confirm, you mean these guys, right? There are also "glo-fish", the genetically modified ones (I apologize for the aquarist geekout ^^;). I could add those as well if I found room.

11/28/2015 2:42 pm
Kotoriken
Also, to everyone, this is what sponsor signs look like:

For animal exhibits they are horizontal, but they look pretty much exactly the same.
11/28/2015 2:46 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Def + Lego
+kotoriken yes that is what i mean, and could you change the sponsor sign to just say def1127 not def + lego

- thanks
11/28/2015 2:50 pm
Kotoriken
@Def: Absolutely.
11/28/2015 4:32 pm
Kotoriken
A quick update on the show pool! I've added 2 viewing floors with a cmd-operated elevator. Once the walls are done, I'll start closing it off and filling it up.

11/28/2015 4:40 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
Han Solo
well this will be great.
11/28/2015 5:27 pm
Kotoriken

A quick picture from the inside of the show pool before it's filled!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome