What makes a good RPG custom map?

ownsyouhard's Avatar ownsyouhard3/22/13 12:31 pm
1 emeralds 1.6k 13
3/25/2013 4:56 am
LisaMiza's Avatar LisaMiza
Hey it's ownsyouhard here, and I'm building a custom RPG map, so far I have maked an abandoned wizard tower, a bridge (don't care about it), a creepy old mine and a merchant stall and a farm next to it.

So guys, I've only just begun making this map, and I'm asking you if what you think are important elements while making a RPG map .

Question summary :

- Please tell me what you think, what things that makes a good RPG custom map. (What buildings for example.)

- Also tell me what you think, is interesting and fun while playing this kind of maps.

//ownsyouhard
ownsyouhard
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

LisaMiza
03/25/2013 4:56 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Princess
Install too many items(you can rename thing)
ownsyouhard
03/25/2013 4:42 am
Thunderr
03/23/2013 2:26 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Cake
Crazy hard mobs with special armor and effects. Gotta love those invisible spiders.
Doggle
03/23/2013 4:06 am
Level 47 : Master Lad
Well, if you want to make a good rpg custom map, you are going to be wanting to look at games like Skyrim, Fallout or another one of those such games. I am assuming you want it to be a medieval fantasy style here.

You need many story paths, custom text, you need custom weaponry and such. You need to have a very large world to explore and it needs to be pristine and beautiful. You'll need a good knowledge of redstone too. Look at Creeper Quest, that is the minimum I expect for a Minecraft map to be classified as an rpg.
ownsyouhard
03/23/2013 4:03 am
I think I'll upload pics of the map today, so you can see what I've done so far.
Mercalyn
03/23/2013 4:01 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Archer
ownsyouhardAnd Mercalyn, thank you for all the info you've provided .

Just doing my civic, Minecraft duty.
mrjrbacon
03/23/2013 3:45 am
Level 42 : Master uwu
Puzzles!
ownsyouhard
03/23/2013 3:41 am
Thanks guys, I'll use MCedit when it's updated . I will make several dungeons with puzzles and different kinds of quest. And Mercalyn, thank you for all the info you've provided .
Mercalyn
03/22/2013 2:42 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Archer
Well, RPG is often associated with fantasy worlds. So you can add fantasy elements, I'd say this is your best option. Some elements within fantasy would be:
-purple and violet trees, make plants the other colour to add variety
-large castles where the top and roof have more area/diameter than the base of the building
-different hue for water or lakes
-walkability: catwalks high into the sky leading to far-off places, hidden passageways within buildings
-dungeons with loot at the end, note: dungeons don't have to be just "kill, kill, kill," they can include Zelda-like puzzle elements
-maybe the end could include a massive battle-maze, where the items you looted in previous dungeons lead up to your accomplishment.

Just a thought.
CaptainTheOracle
03/22/2013 2:38 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
It needs a good storyline,use of command blocks and Mcedit filters too make it cool
Meeshter
03/22/2013 2:05 pm
A few towns, dungeons, a chest under that bridge you don't care about ( maybe a book with three billy goats gruff in it as a funny easter egg like skyrim did), a king's castle, blacksmith, potion shop, banker, enchanting room(possibly hidden inside of the potion shop/castle), booby traps, at least one slime dungeon, add some fire charges to fire out in your abandoned wizard's tower, lava pits, you have to have lava pits, and finally hidden underwater temples and treasures. Hope this helps!
ownsyouhard
03/22/2013 12:57 pm
Good idea, but I can't have a server .
rampagewithaknife
03/22/2013 12:45 pm
maybe a bit of parkour?
(can i help u build?)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024