What would be a good skin for a beginner to make?

Novachii's Avatar Novachii1/1/15 2:24 pm
1/6/2015 11:23 am
Crescendo's Avatar Crescendo
I guess the title says most of it.
I'm new to skinning, I'd like to give it a try, but I don't know what to make.
I considered making myself, but I honestly don't look that interesting and I'd rather make something people other than myself would maybe wanna use.

Any not-super-hard ideas?
Novachii
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Crescendo
01/06/2015 11:23 am
Level 81 : Elite Witch
Hair is my favorite part! (cuz colours) I first skinned using noise, and then I went to randomly darkening and lightening pixels until eventually I just sat down and experimented with just the hair on one skin (seeing what different techniques I liked).

Personally I'd just practice for hair and what WTFshady said about the highlights ^^
Novachii
01/06/2015 8:58 am
Thanks.

Yeah, the hair is still giving me tons of trouble. And I see now that the arms are perhaps a bit too light when it comes to the shading and suck.

I think you're right about me having a simplistic style. Truth is, I've looked at a lot of skins recently in order to see what style I liked and such, and I found many styles too complicated for me. Not too complicated to replicate, but too complicated looking, if that makes sense. I guess I'm a simple gal :3
WTFshady
01/06/2015 10:28 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
Apparently you are.
WTFshady
01/06/2015 8:25 am
Novachii
WTFshady: I'm still not quite sure what you meant by the hair shading not being my style. Do I even have a style yet?

I updated the 'me' skin now, took away the noise in the pants and most of the shirt. I do feel like the orange needs to be noisy, in order to not clash completely with the blue.
Also removed the hair from the outter layer like you said.

Here's the link again: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/novachii---nerdy-girl-aka-myself/

Way better. Technically, every skinner has his/her own style. Apparently you're going for a pretty simplistic kind of shading (style that I used a while back). I'm no great skinner, but I can help you as much as I can to develop your own style.

Yes, the body looks better now. The orange part is a bit meh because of the noise because it clashes with the rest of the skin, but it's actually better that way. The hair also looks way better now, even though the shading on the top looks a bit weird and I don't really like it (assuming that highlights go on top).
King_Of_MC
01/05/2015 11:01 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
If you have Skylanders or infinity copy one of those models to a skin
Novachii
01/05/2015 10:50 am
Yuki: Thank you, I checked out your tips, and I'll make sure to bookmark and review the tutorials you posted.
Yuki
01/05/2015 11:04 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Bunny
You're more than welcome, I'm always happy to help out.
Yuki
01/05/2015 10:38 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Bunny
Novachii, may I direct you to a skin I just commented on (simply because I would rather not retype everything I did type and I don't want to reword it either) where I have posted some helpful tips. The same would apply here with the tutorials and stuff. Keep practicing though, it's how we all got to the stage we're at.
Novachii
01/05/2015 10:31 am
Dolphnisarecool3: Thanks you :3
I use McSkin3D, but I'm not very good at it yet, so it takes a long time.

WTFshady: I'm still not quite sure what you meant by the hair shading not being my style. Do I even have a style yet?

I updated the 'me' skin now, took away the noise in the pants and most of the shirt. I do feel like the orange needs to be noisy, in order to not clash completely with the blue.
Also removed the hair from the outter layer like you said.

Here's the link again: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/novachii---nerdy-girl-aka-myself/
dolphinsarecool3
01/05/2015 8:22 am
Level 41 : Master Dolphin
Which programme are you using to skin? When i first started out I used one online, then I changed and started using MCSkin3D which is a much better programme to use (in my opinion) because you can add more detail and is much easier to shade with.

I think that the skin where you made yourself the top's colours and shading is really good, and the arms, apart from the logo and pants , where the shading is just noise. I think you should try to repeat what you did with the shirt and the arms on the pants and logo.

The hairs shading is simple and effective, but i think that because you covered the whole sides of the hair with the hat layer it takes away from the shape of the head. I think you have a good sense of colour.
Thaddian
01/04/2015 5:00 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
My first skin was from World of Warcraft, really just anything.
Novachii
01/04/2015 3:15 pm
WTFshady
01/04/2015 4:38 pm
You're a girl?!

Anyways, the shading on the head looks pretty good, but it doesn't fit the rest of the skin. Also, not all the hair should be on the hat layer. There, I recommend doing only the bangs and the rest of the hair should be done directly on top of the head. The hair should have a little bit more shape (the sides are just squares).

Onto the body. The simplistic shading looks... nice. The logo on the shirt is too noisy though. The shading on the arms is nice and good for a beginner, but I don't recommend sticking to that style of shading.

The legs are plain terrible (no offense). They're basically just noise.

Tell me what kind of skins you're going to do. If teen/girl skins, there are plenty of shading tutorials and I can link you to some of them. If mixed, I know some of those too.

The best thing you could do is give me your Skype. That way it'll be easier to communicate.
Novachii
01/05/2015 7:08 am
Hmm, seems like I still have a lot of work to do. Thank you for your honesty.
Yes, maybe skype would be more efficient. You can add me, the username is Patternclash, and I'm also to be found on steam under the name NovaChii.
Novachii
01/03/2015 7:06 am
Oh, sorry about that. I'll remember the small S next time

I'm trying to make a skin of myself, but again, I'm stuck with the head shading =/
Oh well, I guess I should go check out some more tutorials.

And no worries, I won't copy the other rose skin.
Auradyme
01/03/2015 5:46 am
Level 29 : Expert Birb
I often make skins considering what anime I'm in to at that time, so that could go for whatever you might be into.
Novachii
01/03/2015 5:41 am
Thanks, people!

WTFShady, yeah, I had some trouble with the head, I'm not sure how to shade it =/
WTFshady
01/03/2015 5:52 am
It's WTFshady (I'm overprotective about my name). To shade the head, you should change the design IMO because the top of the head seems pretty messy. If you don't want to, you can add some highlights here and there, but make sure that the highlights fit your style (you don't want to highlight parts with big lighter-shade colored patches, that looks ugly and doesn't fit your style). For the design, you can take some inspiration from this skin but don't copy it, it won't go well. You'll get a warning and/or a ban (t's stated on the rules).
Xenon Neko
01/03/2015 4:31 am
Level 25 : Expert Procrastinator
I like the rose skin, it's pretty good! Keep skinning, you'll get really good. When I first started skinning, I wasn't very good, but after some practice, I got pretty good! Then I got bad again... But that's only because I stopped skinning for a while. Always practice...
Crescendo
01/03/2015 4:29 am
Level 81 : Elite Witch
Novachii my opinion here is that practice makes perfect! And in that respect you are doing just fine!

How can I tell this? I can actually see a really big improvement between your first skin and the second rose skin so I can see that your trying as a skinner to improve c: You also listened to the feedback that people gave you (and I think that's very important)

You'd be surprised how many people refuse to take criticism on here!
WTFshady
01/03/2015 4:23 am
NovachiiWTFshady: I updated the rose skin a bit: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/rose-3192646/
Still not 100% happy with it, but I feel a bit stuck.

It's WAY better. Pretty good for a beginner. There should be a bit more contrast though and you should still shade the head.
Novachii
01/02/2015 6:51 pm
Sidtom, How come? Because you've improved and you feel it looks bad now or?
I feel that way about my deviantart. The further back I get in my gallery, the more I wish I could delete/remaster things.
I guess I can, technically, but I don't want to ruin the memories.
Novachii
01/02/2015 6:46 pm
Thanks!

I agree with you, some make it look too shiny and smooth for my liking. Minecraft isn't as smooth/fancy, so why should our avatars be?
I still envy them a bit, though, I do wish I could do it
Novachii
01/02/2015 6:34 pm
WTFshady: I updated the rose skin a bit: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/rose-3192646/
Still not 100% happy with it, but I feel a bit stuck.

Sidtom: That's great!
sidtom
01/02/2015 6:46 pm
Level 26 : Expert Cowboy
The thing is I cringe every time I see it on there
500poundsofnothing
01/02/2015 6:58 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
Cringe you say?
HiddenHerO
01/02/2015 6:43 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Looks a lot better, tbh i dont like people who use a lot of shading (mostly the big skinners) because they got so into making the light look realistic that as a skin it doesnt look real. Like plastic surgery, too plasticy. So I really like this skin! Not too much shading but enough to make it look good.
WTFshady
01/03/2015 4:26 am
Not all the big skinners use a big palette and shade a lot. XDinsanity, Thezi, uPro, Contrast, HazelOrb etc are skinners that use 3-5 shades per color (including the base color). So yeah. There are a lot of other big skinners too that I forgot to include, but you get the point.
sidtom
01/02/2015 5:14 pm
Level 26 : Expert Cowboy
Well my first skin I made was a "Slamacow Fan Girl" skin and it got on minecraftskins.net
Novachii
01/02/2015 5:05 pm
I learned a long time ago not to take those things personally. After all, like you said, you intention is to help.

I've seen a lot of negative reactions to such on creative sites. You make one small suggestion and they're like "omg stop harassing me ur such a h8r"

Constructive criticism pushes me to push myself to improve. After all, I don't want to suck.
Novachii
01/02/2015 4:59 pm
Thanks for the tips, I'm checking it out now
And I'm glad you're being honest with me, otherwise I'll never learn/improve.
WTFshady
01/02/2015 5:02 pm
No worries, always here to help.

Well, constructive criticism is always the best. Good thing you accept it (trust me, a lot of people on this site don't).
SlySly
01/02/2015 4:48 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Princess
i like the skin
Novachii
01/02/2015 4:36 pm
I agree with you, looking back on it, it needs more detail all in all. I used a crappy creator thing and I goof'd on a few things as well.

I finished the Eddy skin, though!
I hope you'll like it better.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/eddy-from-ed-eddn-eddy/
WTFshady
01/02/2015 4:55 pm
The colors are too saturated (means that they're too bright). You used noise for the "shading", thing that I wouldn't recommend. You forgot to paint the bottom part of the arms. Never miss these small details. Check this out. It's a collection of some pretty good skinning tutorials.
Novachii
01/01/2015 3:48 pm
I finished it!
I probably should have used a little more time, and I'm aware it lacks detail, but here it is: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/rose-3192646/

I think I'll be trying Eddie from Ed, Ed'n Eddie next, that was a great suggestion!
WTFshady
01/02/2015 9:34 am
It's... meh tbh. Needs shading. Colors could've been better. Same applies for the design of the skin.
Mercurythedark
01/01/2015 3:38 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lego Builder
Asian or someone from ed edd n eddy
WTFshady
01/01/2015 3:33 pm
Do whatever you want, but something I can recommend is Red from Pokemon. He can be used to train your hand at shading, 3D features (using 1.8 layers) etc.
Novachii
01/01/2015 3:16 pm
Of course I don't want to make the typical "girl with anime eyes" just because they seem popular, what I meant was that if I make myself as a skin, I'm probably the only one who's going to use that skin, and there wouldn't be much point in showcasing it.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I started working on a rose while waiting for replies. It's going slow, but I'll post it here when done :3
irritatedCat
01/01/2015 2:59 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
I would start making yourself. It's fun!
OneMagpie
01/01/2015 2:56 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
I agree with Azie, I only ever make skins of characters I like.
Azie
01/01/2015 2:39 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Even though you said you'd rather make skins of things other people want to use, I'm still going to suggest you skin what you want to skin.

When I started skinning, I didn't start with "better make a generic teen skin because people use those". I started with Sothe and Micaiah from Fire Emblem because I like them as characters, even though I don't know anyone here who has played or even heard of the game series. Do what inspires you and you will do it often.
OfficialVelocity
01/01/2015 2:36 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
I would suggest a gamer.
HiddenHerO
01/01/2015 2:32 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Look up some skins people want done and try your best at them! That's how I learned to make good skins! (my skins are on my old account TheLacky btw)
Blobfish
01/01/2015 2:30 pm
Level 27 : Expert Fish
the easiest thing to start with in my opinion is robots. they're really easy to shade and if you so a decent job with them, they can always look decent
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome