Fonts help.

the3rdnumber's Avatar the3rdnumber4/14/13 1:08 pm
1 emeralds 228 7
5/3/2013 6:55 pm
the_soup's Avatar the_soup
Is there a way I can use a font made by someone else and still take credit for the pack or I need ot draw my own font? For now my pack is 100% done by me, but I'm afraid to do a mistake by including a font not made by me (even though I will give credit for it).
the3rdnumber
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/03/2013 6:55 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
It's not illegal to use a font made by someone else. You are not using the fonts commercially--you are not making money from them. If you were using them with an adf.ly link or something similar then things would get more complicated, but if you're not making any money off of them then it's fine. In essence what you're doing is no more illegal than making a brochure using a font and then handing that brochure out to others. You're allowed to say that you made that brochure without having to say 'but I didn't make the font'.

To my knowledge all Windows default fonts are fine for non-commercial distribution. Fonts added by Photoshop have different licenses, so you would need to read the license on each one of them. When you download a font online it should come with a 'read me' file outlining the approved uses of that font.

If you're still unsure of using a font, use one that approved for commercial use. Again, though, this isn't very necessary as you're not making money from your TP.
04/14/2013 1:36 pm
the3rdnumber
What about a way of using a photoshop font or mac os font? Would this be illegal?
04/14/2013 1:38 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pegasus
DasDuriel
basicly every font that is not created by you is "illegal" because your are including the source file inside the texturepack

if you buy photoshop you buy the license to USE the font
not to give it to other people
05/03/2013 6:26 pm
the3rdnumber
But it really sucks I have to say, because fonts are extremely hard to do, and I am not experienced at all in this part of design.
04/21/2013 1:05 pm
the3rdnumber
Alright, seems legit.
04/14/2013 1:12 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I would say don't do it. The only way you could do it is ask the original font artist if you could use it in your pack and include proof of permission both in the description and in the download itself. The problem with fonts is that they are often stolen and redistributed so you often have no way of knowing if the person you're talking to has the rights to the font.
04/14/2013 1:11 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pegasus
DasDuriel
ask the creator / read the license of the font
its that simple
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome