How the 1.7 snapshots use the Colormaps for Elevation

eleazzaar's Avatar eleazzaar9/9/13 11:01 am
1 emeralds 3.1k 6
1/24/2014 4:45 pm
zEnder749's Avatar zEnder749
This new system has the potential to make really nice grass:

Here's how colormaps work in snapshot 13w36b
  • Sea level and below are colored as normal, from that single pixel on the colormap.
  • Some new biome variants don't use the same pixel -- "birch forest" samples from a different place than "forest".
  • Increasing elevation slowly moves the color selection in a straight line towards the bottom right corner-- however the selection point "wobbles" randomly by about 2 pixels
  • Some of the colors you see may not be present on your colormap, some are created by interpolation (i think when the mathematical point it wants to sample on is nearly in between two pixels on the color map)
  • Swamps & Mesa now totally ignore the color map, but at least swamps have two nicer default colors.
  • When blending between biomes there is a two block border of in-between colors.
  • This applies to both grass.png and foliage.png
  • Jungle and Jungle Edge are different from the templates i've seen before.
  • If you want variation like my screenshot, add some noise to your texturemap map.

eleazzaar
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Pixel Painter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/24/2014 4:45 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Dragon
zEnder749
OHHHHHHH....
Nice! Gonna try that out one day...
11/11/2013 8:11 pm
Level 27 : Expert Toast
SquircularKnights
Shiny_Underpants
It's good to know that you can make your grass 1x1 and have all the detail in the colourmap (huge connected texture for the win!). Thanks!

If you make your grass a single colour, 1 pixel image, you can scale up the colourmap and put the texture on it, instead of the grass block itself. This way you can have different textures on different grass blocks.
11/08/2013 7:00 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Dragon
zEnder749
Mr. Shiny Underpants, ya got me all confused now.
11/11/2013 7:41 pm
SquircularKnights
I'm confusing by nature.
Hexadecimal (base 16) is the system they use to distinguish colour in the minecraft dye system (hexadecimal goes from 1 to f before reaching the double digits). Every dye colour in minecraft is represented by a number (in minecraft if you hold your mouse over a dyed piece of leather armour in your inventory you might find that it shows you the colour ID in hexadecimal).
This means coders, rather than texturepack editors are the ones able to edit the dyes.

The dents function is in paint.net and essentially swirls the colours around.

Hexadecimal goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c, d, e, f,
a=10
b=11
c=12
d=13
e=14
f=15
I'm really not sure how much this helps your confusion.
09/09/2013 8:58 pm
SquircularKnights
Wow. All that is very interesting. I was so annoyed when I worked out that they used hexadecimal in the textures through the game, and not through the texturepack. Something I would suggest for higher definition colourmaps would be to use the Dents function instead of applying noise, as noise would flicker a lot with the higher definition.

It's good to know that you can make your grass 1x1 and have all the detail in the colourmap (huge connected texture for the win!). Thanks!
09/09/2013 11:05 am
Level 43 : Master Nether Knight
TheEvilKittyWizard
Very interesting... I noticed this in the snapshot, but never really examined it to this extent.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome