How To Edit Your Own Sound Texture Packs 1.13.2 + (windows)

pickardo's Avatar pickardo6/19/18 4:30 pm history
4 emeralds 1.5k 1
6/20/2018 6:33 am
oakar258's Avatar oakar258
Step 1: Make sure you have the following programs installed. Both are free and quick to download.

Audacity: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Notepad++: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.6.html
Winrar: https://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

Step 2: Locate your Minecraft folder.

Start ->Run -> %appdata% -> .minecraft -> resourcepacks

Step 3: Creating your texture pack.

Once in the resourcepack folder, right click and then 'New -> Folder' - name it what you want your pack to be called. Hit enter and open the folder.

From here you want to right click again and this time look for 'New -> Text Document' hit enter as you don't need to name it right now. Once this text document has been made, you will want to open it and paste this inside:

{
"pack" : {
"pack_format" : 3,
"description" : "DESCRIPTION" } }

You can edit the DESCRIPTION part to give a description of your pack when you hover over it in the game. If you don't want to risk breaking anything, just leave it blank, then save it as 'pack.mcmeta'.

As a side note, to check you have done the text document the right way, once in the folder look at the view tab at the top, at the right hand side should be a tick box that says 'file name extensions' which needs to be ticked. Now double check your text document reads as 'pack.mcmeta' and NOT 'pack.mcmeta.txt'. If it looks like the last one, rename it again, and remove the '.txt' from the name.

Step 4: Acquiring the assets.

You will want to get back to the %appdata% -> .minecraft folder again, from here you want to find 'versions', then 1.12.2 click it. Inside you will see a 1.13.2.jar file, click and open it with Winrar. When the folder opens, you should see an 'assets' folder at the top, I want you to right click it and 'copy to clipboard'. Once it copies it, go back to your resource pack folder, right click and paste. Here is how it should look inside your folder now:

Step 5: Finding your sound path.

Now you have the basics of your texture pack in place, you need to find what sounds you want to change. For my example, I am going to be changing a music disc. But will also be explaining how you need to use multiple files for mob sounds as well.

So you want to go back to your %appdata% -> .minecraft -> assets -> indexes -> 1.13.json right click this and choose 'Edit with Notepad++'. Which you will then see a huge wall of code in the Notepad++ program. This is where you find your sounds pathway. So scroll down (This may take a while as every sound in the game is in here).

Here is the pathway for the stal music disc. Notice 'minecraft/sounds/records/stal.ogg' this is what we need to recreate in our texture pack. So, go back to your texture pack, open the assets folder, and then the minecraft folder. Right click under all the other folders, in the blank space. Where you will want to then click 'New -> Folder', name this 'sounds' all lower case. Open the sounds folder, right click and make another folder called 'records'. Now we have the folder for our records.

Same example for mobs:

This example will be for the sounds of a Skeleton taking damage. So, in the same Notepad++ folder you can click 'search' at the top, and then 'find' which will give you a little box. Where it says 'find what' you will want to type in the mob you are looking for, IE /skeleton/ - now there are many sounds for skeletons, we only want the ones when they get hurt so I will type in '/skeleton/hurt' --> and then 'Find Next'. I found 4 different sound files.

we then copy the same as we did before. Go to our custom resource pack, open the assets -> minecraft -> sounds -> In here we now want to create a second folder along with our records folder. This new folder will be called 'mobs', open the mobs folder and create another folder inside called 'skeleton'.

We now have everything in place for our new sounds.

Step 6: Converting your sounds.

Make sure you have the sounds you want downloaded in an MP3 format on your computer. Open the Audacity program, and then at the top choose file -> open ... locate and select your sound. You will want to then click file again -> export audio. Make sure the file type is .ogg and export it to your desktop. You can then close audacity, reopen your resource pack, follow the folders until you get to skeleton again. Open the skeleton folder and drag your sound file inside. Now, we will want to name this sound file the same as the one from the Notepad++ file. So let's start with naming it 'hurt1.ogg'. Copy and past this 3 times, and rename them to 'hurt2.ogg', 'hurt3.ogg' and 'hurt4.ogg'.

For records, go into the record folder we made earlier, drag your music file into here (Same technique of exporting it through audacity). And save it as a music disc name ie 'stal.ogg'.

Step 7: Hearing your sounds.

Close down everything now, and open up your game. Go to the resource pack section and you should see your custom texture pack, on the left hand side. You will want to activate it, so your game uses it. Log into your world, spawn a skeleton, or record box if you did records. Give the skeleton a few hits, or slip your record into the record box.... and see if your new sounds are working properly. This tutorial has worked every time for me, so if it hasn't worked for you, please leave a comment and when I pop onto the website I will try help. (FYI I don't come here that often so you may be waiting a while. Sorry.)

(I named mine disksounds, but you get the idea.)

pickardo
Level 5 : Apprentice Network