1.6, 1.7 resource pack problems

chakarocksMC's Avatar chakarocksMC1/1/14 12:37 am
1 emeralds 671 5
1/1/2014 6:55 pm
insomniac_lemon's Avatar insomniac_lemon
Hi chakarocksMC here, before 1.6 i knew how to make a texture pack and it was great but now that 1.6 is out and they are resource packs i cant do it because of that stupid text document that you have to do. I have looked at like 50 tutorials and none have worked can someone help me.
chakarocksMC
Level 10 : Journeyman Ranger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

insomniac_lemon
01/01/2014 6:55 pm
Level 40 : Master Pixel Painter
GlorificoThe very top folder is called "assets" and that is where all the texture files are. You're going to want to extract that folder from the .jar and copy the folder and all that is inside it to whatever folder you're going to make your texture pack in. Open the assets folder, and the minecraft folder in it. You will see 5 other folders. The font, lang, and shaders folders are not necessary (unless you want to change the names of items) and including them is not the best idea, as it makes the final texture pack a really large file that takes forever to upload/download. Feel free to go wild with all the stuff in the sub-folders of the "textures" folder when making your pack, though!

Something you should add here is to ONLY include files in your pack that you've modified, as the game uses default textures when any aren't included in a pack. In 1.7+ including default textures also does not allow lower packs to be used to fill in missing textures.

It should be noted that one can use the .JAR to find file and folder names, and once they have those they can create the files as they need them, without even the need to extract the files.

DasDuriel
this is how it should look like
warning: depending on your text editor it can look like it is all in one line and not properly formated
DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING EXCEPT THE DESCRIPTION

always post code inside a code box or it will not work once you copy it

Erm, no. Whitespace and line breaks don't matter in JSON. Only the brackets, commas, and other text-stuff matters.

I have this as my pack.mcmeta file:

{"pack":{"pack_format":1,"description":"Developed by §einsomniac_lemon§r if using MCpatcher, use latest version"}}

It IS on one line (to save data) and it works just fine.

So really what Glorifico has will work just fine considering that PMC does not turn " " into directional quotation marks.
chakarocksMC
01/01/2014 4:15 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Ranger
thanks for the help ill try it again once i get on my faster computer.
Glorifico
01/01/2014 2:21 pm
Level 46 : Master Pixel Painter
DasDuriel
.mcmeta files contain CODE and need to be perfectly formated or else they will nto work

{
"pack": {
"pack_format": 1,
"description": "inserttextherel"
}
}

warning: depending on your text editor it can look like it is all in one line and not properly formated

Right, thank you! Oddly enough though, copying what I wrote still works, I'm not sure why...
DasDuriel
01/01/2014 1:42 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pegasus
Glorifico
{
"description": "What you put here will show in-game in the texture selection menue"
}
}

this is wrong

.mcmeta files contain CODE and need to be perfectly formated or else they will nto work

{
"description": "inserttextherel"
}
}

always post code inside a code box or it will not work once you copy it
Glorifico
01/01/2014 1:31 pm
Level 46 : Master Pixel Painter
Do you mean the pack.mcmeta? All you need to do is make a new text document and in it put:
{
"description": "What you put here will show in-game in the texture selection menue"
}
}
Then save it as "pack.mcmeta", make sure there's no .txt extension, it HAS to be just pack.mcmeta, the make sure it's in the same folder as the "assets" folder and the pack.png, put those in a compressed zip file, and that's your texture pack! Oh, by the way, this is the format for 1.7 resource packs.

If you need more help here's a quick tutorial of the whole process I've written:
Click to reveal
In your .minecraft folder there is a folder called "versions" and in it are the folders containing the .jars for the versions you've played on. Open the 1.7.2 one then the 1.7.2.jar file in there. The very top folder is called "assets" and that is where all the texture files are. You're going to want to extract that folder from the .jar and copy the folder and all that is inside it to whatever folder you're going to make your texture pack in. Open the assets folder, and the minecraft folder in it. You will see 5 other folders. The font, lang, and shaders folders are not necessary (unless you want to change the names of items) and including them is not the best idea, as it makes the final texture pack a really large file that takes forever to upload/download. Feel free to go wild with all the stuff in the sub-folders of the "textures" folder when making your pack, though! Once you're satisfied with the textures, navigate back to the folder you put the "assets" folder in, and add a text file. Put this in it:
{
}
}
and save it as pack.mcmeta then make a 128x128 (or whatever resolution you want) pack.png file which will show up in the texture selection menu in game. Compress the assets folder, the pack.png, and the pack.mcmeta into a zip folder and TA-DAH!!! 1.7.X texture pack away!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome