Strange things happen when you upgrade the nether to 1.16

R_Ryan's Avatar R_Ryan9/14/20 5:58 pm
2 emeralds 123 4
9/20/2020 7:46 pm
New Reds Technology's Avatar New Reds Technology
Everything started out great, but upon closer inspection, there's no return portal. We wandered lost in the Crimson forest for quite a while before we realized the problem.

All this and more in my latest video.

https://youtu.be/BQbMJGeP0f0

Thanks for checking it out!
R_Ryan
Level 46 : Master Skinner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/16/2020 9:46 am
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
New Reds Technology
Well, it seems you have interestingly got thrown a error somehow... check your logs to see if it "Generated" a new nether WITH the same seed as your overworld, if the seeds are different... then your server has an issue... if they are the same, then you just found a 1 out of 1T error that, for all intensive purposes, shouldn't even be possible...
09/20/2020 1:47 pmhistory
Level 46 : Master Skinner
R_Ryan
Well the way our server works, the outer dimensions are actually in separate folders with their own seeds, so they're not tied to the main world. Since we knew that the update was coming, we never did much in the nether , so I just deleted the whole thing and regenerated it. The fact that that would obviously generate a new seed just slipped my mind, but I thought it would still regen the portals as soon as we went through. I've done this before simply by destroying the nether side portal and then having someone else come back through from the other side. This used to be the whole basis for a type of obsidian farm.

Regardless, either something has changed in the code, or it's just a byproduct of how the upgrade process works. I haven't done any experiments yet, but I assume there wouldn't be an issue with a world that was initially created in 1.16, and probably not a problem with one that was simply upgraded as a whole since that shouldn't regenerate the nether side chunks that had already been created.

Honestly, I probably just shouldn't have been lazy, and simply cullled all of the nether cunks except for the ones immediately surrounding our portals rather than just regenerating the whole thing. On the other hand, the videos are way more interesting when weird stuff goes wrong, right?
09/20/2020 7:46 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
New Reds Technology
I completely agree with that!!! I just don't see how you missed it!!! I watched as you looked behind you and, I guess I notice those things... :)

But yes... makes a good video...

(Maybe, HEROBRINE IS AFTER YOU?!)

IDK but yeah... that is odd... very odd!!!
09/14/2020 7:04 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Spelunker
m0cchi
I'm really curious if this happened to anybody else. Awesome episode by the way.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome