Is AlienWare worth it?

JayTheCraftMiner's Avatar JayTheCraftMiner3/26/13 5:01 pm
1 emeralds 1.8k 29
3/26/2013 8:42 pm
deadrecon98's Avatar deadrecon98
Hi! Im thinking of getting a £2000 alien ware gaming laptop,and ive set my budget at around £2000. But ive seen people say 'Alienware sucks!' And im wondering...why? Can you tell me if they are good laptops and if they are what I should get on it? (Like how much ram,cpu, etc) Anywho, PLZ HELP!
JayTheCraftMiner
Level 14 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/26/2013 8:42 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98
Be careful with cyberpower. I ordered a 3k computer for them and it broke on delivery. We sent it back and waited until the warranty went out and then when we got it back it hadn't even been opened!
03/26/2013 8:35 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
DarkStar4657
^
I agree.
03/26/2013 8:09 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
and OP: if you want a decent gaming computer and don't mind paying extra for what some people call just the logo i'd recommend the alienware M14x. You can just go to dell.com and check it out from there
03/26/2013 8:00 pm
Ash
While there's nothing wrong with looking around for parts and partpicking, it's a lot of effort if a) you're going to have to build it yourself b) you get it wrong and have to start again c) if you break some component.
I'd recommend building your own computer if you've had experience with it before, if not, buy a premade one, it's easier on you, aanndd you don't have to really worry about it not being what you pictured it. You get what you pay for.
03/26/2013 8:32 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Miner
Phrozenbit
a) it's not rocket science, b) google knows everything about computers c) everything fits only one way on the mainboard / other components.

It only requires ehm

Paying attention, reading manuals, thinking logically and never forcing. That's to much effort ?
03/26/2013 7:27 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
_Nemesi5_
03/26/2013 7:07 pm
Ash
Ok. People always use the price argument when regarding alienware. I'm in the midst of buying an x51 myself, and I've done research, and it's cheaper for me to get my entire set-up from the dell website than to go around buying it all seperately. Yes, people will say "YOU"RE JUST PAYING FOR A LOGO". well, what's so wrong about that? If the logo is worth it, why not? Like Apple: Apple stuff is actually good, people just get pissed that they want to sell their products at a high price.

Alienware is good if you're looking for a gaming computer and if you have the money to buy it, basically. I myself wouldn't go to the effort to go around places always comparing prices and parts: it's easier to just buy it straight from the source for me.
03/26/2013 7:19 pm
Phrozenbit
It's a FACT that buying carefully selected parts yourself leads to better quality, performance and durability. You get a better machine, for half the price of an alienware that's also a proven fact.

And you care about the logo ?

03/26/2013 7:05 pm
Level 1 : New Architect
ForsakenRealmz
I have an Alienware M17x R2.. It has been working perfectly fine for the two years I have had it. No complaints. Although.. It did cost $3,000 (got it for $2,100 with discounts). It is becoming outdated now.. But it can still run games fine. And by games I mean ones like CombatArms and WoW. I haven't had the money or time to get BF3 or more.
03/26/2013 7:00 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Nether Knight
thegameguy311
In my opinion, Alienware is very overpriced and not worth it. I currently have a Lenovo Ideapad Y570 laptop with a 15.6 inch screen, 8.00gb of ram, Intel core i7 2.20ghz processor, and a Nvidia Geforce GT 5550m graphics card. All that for $762. So no, don't get an Alienware. Get something just as good but much cheaper.
03/26/2013 6:56 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Ninja
Shomanakillah
I suggest Alienware for just starting out, then when you get enough money and you like the computer... either go ahead, sell it on eBay and buy another one... keep experimenting with different computers

Because that's what real human beings do...
03/26/2013 7:03 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
If you have enough money for an Alienware brand machine, you have enough money for a better machine that's better well spent than the Alienware machine.

"Real humans" should research before experimenting. Otherwise you're just wasting time (or in this case, money).

In this case, there's really nothing that needs to be experimented on. Since he's getting a laptop, there's a very unlikely chance that he's going to tear it open and inspect its inner workings. The only thing that a normal user would have to experiment would be the OS.

(Z645 summed up my thoughts)
03/26/2013 7:02 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Z645
Real human beings don't waste money on crap. I wouldn't suggest buying something, then waiting a while buying something again. I would suggest buying something that's worth it and then not have to worry about buying another product because what you bought was crap. :/ Research before buying helps
03/26/2013 7:03 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Ninja
Shomanakillah
well except all the wasting money... still, that's what we do... we experiment and research... and then when we think the time is right... well... damn...

Still, go with you opinion! find something that's good for you and then decide... be sure you compare different computers with others!
03/26/2013 6:52 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Z645
Cyberpowers for the win. Dominates against Alienware, except for custom computers. They probably win xD
03/26/2013 6:25 pm
Level 48 : Master Answer
-Rusty
Buying an AlienWare is like buying guuci. You're paying for the logo not the machine.
03/26/2013 6:48 pm
Phrozenbit
^ that

So actually look up something on google about GPU's CPU's PSU's, Mainboards, Memory, HD's DVD-RAM / Blu-Ray, Decent (water) cooling and a nice useful case. Ya don't have to know everything about it, it isn't rocket science and most importantly it's much much cheaper for much much more quality and performance if you order the parts yourself and build your own PC.
03/26/2013 6:12 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
ColaMonster091
You could get a machine that will handle everything you run for around $700... Your giving your money away by putting that much into in my opinion. Computers are not hard to build. Like legos IMO.
03/26/2013 5:33 pm
JayTheCraftMiner
GrizzlyAmish
FokkusuUk?
I am also from the UK and got my last PC from DinoPC the name drew me in and well, I ended up with one. Haven't had any problems with it, even with me fiddling around with parts.

Being from the US, I never would have thought about that site.

JayTheCraftMiner
Well,theres a problem for me here,First: im in the UK,so American laptops are a no-no,Buuttttt I found a good UK website, and I might get this one:
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/syst ... 0_Notebook

(Sorry if its crap, im not too good at making a gaming computer/picking one)

Hey Jay, if you're strongly thinking about that laptop, go with the AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card. It's only a little bit more, but it runs better than the GTX 675 you have selected.
Not only that, but you get Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite for free, which is a lot cheaper to get them this way, along with a better video card, than buying them separately.

(I'd personally get a bigger hard drive, but that's just me)
Im not thinking of getting that actual one,just acting is it any good. Im just browsing that website to see if any catch my eye
03/26/2013 5:30 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
ColaMonster091
Just build your own. Alienware is overkill for 95% of people. You can get a machine that will do everything you need at a great speed for a far lower price.
03/26/2013 5:35 pm
JayTheCraftMiner
Im off AlienWare,found a better and WAYYYYYYY cheaper site,and I cant build my own one,as I not sure how, And I have £2000 to play around with..So im gonna get a reallllly good one (If I can)
03/26/2013 5:25 pm
Level 43 : Master Fox
Fokkusu
Uk?
I am also from the UK and got my last PC from DinoPC the name drew me in and well, I ended up with one. Haven't had any problems with it, even with me fiddling around with parts.
03/26/2013 5:30 pm
GrizzlyAmish
Being from the US, I never would have thought about that site.

JayTheCraftMiner
Well,theres a problem for me here,First: im in the UK,so American laptops are a no-no,Buuttttt I found a good UK website, and I might get this one:

Hey Jay, if you're strongly thinking about that laptop, go with the AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card. It's only a little bit more, but it runs better than the GTX 675 you have selected.
Not only that, but you get Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite for free, which is a lot cheaper to get them this way, along with a better video card, than buying them separately.

(I'd personally get a bigger hard drive, but that's just me)
03/26/2013 5:27 pm
JayTheCraftMiner
I need a laptop,as I need it to be portable. But is the one I suggested good?
03/26/2013 5:08 pm
GrizzlyAmish
Here's the thing with Alienware. When people say they suck, they really mean the pricing. Sure, they have some good machines, but they are pretty overpriced. Think of it like Apple products, where the product is good.. yet costs a lot more than what they're worth.

If you think you can handle building your own computer, then go that route - better bang for your buck.

If you're not so confident, then try a few of these sites for prebuilt computers:
http://www.falcon-nw.com/
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Hopefully other users will be able to recommend other prebuilt websites than what I've listed.
03/26/2013 5:16 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Spelunker
kaihiwatari55
I dunno, the X51 is really good. i7 quad core processor, GTX 660 Card, 16GB RAM, 1 Terabyte of memory for $1300 is awesome. Granted, you are right about how I can buy a better computer for about that much from CyberPowered. That's where I'm getting my computer from.
03/26/2013 7:24 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Zemor
For $1300, that is a complete ripoff.
03/26/2013 5:21 pm
JayTheCraftMiner

03/26/2013 5:10 pm
JayTheCraftMiner
Thx!! Id kinda like to have some of my £2000 left over for buying the actual games, and Yeah, I noticed Alien is pricy...Thx for the help! (Im earning the money by the way. Im working in my uncles shop)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome