Buzzing Noise Coming From PSU?

Arbiter_3x's Avatar Arbiter_3x3/23/14 7:09 pm
1 emeralds 503 6
3/24/2014 2:42 am
Arbiter_3x's Avatar Arbiter_3x
Hello,
I had recently finished building a new PC, and for the PSU I used a Cooler Master
Silent Pro Gold 1200w from another PC. I'm hearing a buzzing noise that appears to be originating from somewhere in the rear of the PSU. More specifically, to the left of the place where you plug in the cable from the outlet to power up your computer.
(Apologies, I forgot its actual name). The buzzing also is audible when the computer is in, you could say, standby mode. Standby mode in my definition is when the computer is off, but the switch on the back of the PSU is still set to on. No fans are operating, but the PSU appears to be receiving power and is making that buzzing sound.

Also, the PSU is 4 Years old... (Like I said, the PSU originated from an older PC).

Anyways, is this something I should get checked out? Or what can I do to stop this problem? I suspect it is a capacitor issue, so I'd probably need to send this in. Hopefully Cooler Master's 5 Year Warranty will cover me...

Edit: Now I'm hearing an electrical-sounding clicking noise, which also appeared to be originating from the same section of the PSU... which also just ended as soon as I began to type this edit... any insight?

Cheers,
~Imbri
Arbiter_3x
Level 1 : New Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/24/2014 2:42 am
Arbiter_3x
Thanks Paril,

Looking back at my previous post, I wondered what exactly was going through my head. Of course a fancouldn't make noises when it hadn't been turned on. So if it isn't the fan generating the clicking noise, what could it be?

For a better description on what I hear regarding the clicking, imagine like something shorting out, morphed with the first sound generated by a laptop's trackpad (First sound meaning, when you click, there is a click, and then when you release, there is the second click). It sort of sounds like a cricket (Actually, disregard what I said prior to sounds like a cricket, as it does sound like a cricket!). It isn't happening in a fast velocity, and does "click" at a equal, you could say, click-per-second. It's not rapid either.

Either way, I sent an email to Cooler Master. It seems I'm covered, so all should be well. I'm just hoping I only need to send in the PSU, and not need to undo all of my cable management. especially when I had only finished the PC a day ago. -sigh-

Cheers,
~Imbri
03/23/2014 10:15 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
The clicking and buzzing also occurred when the PC was turned off/shut down.

This is normal - well, not normal in that it's not supposed to happen, but normal in that the issues described above are still entirely plausible even if it's not turned on. There is still power flowing through the PSU, although it's not heading into the mobo. It's similar to a vibration of sorts. I've had similar problems with a "silent pro" PSU - the silent part generally refers to the fans, though, not the metal whines, which are a bit different (albeit still a problem and RMAable).

It's not the fan. The fan doesn't have any power unless it is turned on, and it has a distinctive sound.
03/23/2014 10:04 pm
Arbiter_3x
57r4d, W0lf92, thanks for your input.
The PSU is only audible (Both the electric clicking and buzzing) inside my room (18 ft from side 1 to side 2), but that is even when the rear of the computer facing towards a corner. I may have forgotten to mention this though: The clicking and buzzing also occurred when the PC was turned off/shut down.

I've heard of horror stories of PCs going up in flames due to faulty PSUs, and I'm not sure if (Granted that clicking is most likely a fan issue) I am confident enough in opening up a PSU and trying to change the fan out manually (As opening up a improperly discharged PSU most likely charged with some high number of volts of electricity is deemed unsafe in my book)... Either way though, I just checked my warranty and apparently it'll expire in 2016. Like w0lf said, it annoys to crap out of me, especially when the PSU is labled Silent Pro. I'll probably eRMA it.

Cheers,
~Imbri
03/23/2014 9:51 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
w0lf92
UPDATE: Just seen the last bit of your post, if you still have a warranty I'd call them and raise hell. Depending on what it covers they'll be obligated to replace it.
03/23/2014 9:49 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
w0lf92
Yeah what the above person said, you'll be fine if you leave it alone but I personally couldn't stand hearing it from across the house(It was really loud!) and swapped PSU's for a new one and have been fine ever since.

This problem has occured a few times for me over the past 6 years, especially with the cheaper ones(Ahem, Coolermaster/Thermaltake).
03/23/2014 9:40 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
DrStrad
It's most likely coil whine, I have the same situation from a Tier 2 Corsair power supply I recently bought in January for my computer (the HX 850). It's largely no threat at all, just an annoying sound. I can't hear mine because the backside of my computer is behind my monitor.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome