Chromebook

DrStrad's Avatar DrStrad4/13/14 8:26 pm
4/13/2014 9:37 pm
ASF's Avatar ASF
Thinking about getting a relatively inexpensive Chromebook for about $300, any suggestions or recommendations? I already have a monster gaming rig, this is just for some portable college work in the Fall.
DrStrad
Level 29 : Expert Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/13/2014 9:08 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Caveman
Ezcha
I am currently on a Acer Chromebook with Ubuntu hacked on it, so I can play Minecraft. So they can be useful. I'm not to sure about college work.
04/13/2014 9:05 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
I don't like it, but it's not because you can't play games on it. It's really just the keyboard on that thing that really bugs me. Like, I can type pretty fast on my home keyboard and even the school keyboards, but that Chromebook is just like, wow.
04/13/2014 9:08 pm
DrStrad
I've typed on some pretty terrible laptop keyboards before while not having a terrible experience, and this one looks none too different.
04/13/2014 9:37 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Yeah, it's pretty bad :L
04/13/2014 9:02 pm
DrStrad
I'll almost exclusively be using it for word processing, and some slideshows and spreadsheets (Google Docs). The only other thing I can think about doing is watching Twitch, YouTube, and streaming some movies, which can all be done easily.

He sums it up:

Final Analysis
http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/2946-Can-a-Chromebook-Do-Real-Work-

After almost two weeks of regularly using the Chomebook to edit spreadsheets, write documents, send emails, and access servers, I believe that it can be used to complete nearly any ecommerce, business-related task. Although, it may not be immediately obvious from this article, I really like the Chromebook and Chrome OS, especially for working on the go. It is very fast loading, extremely lightweight, and its battery will last all day.

The caveats, though, are its inability to connect via VPN and web application limitations. The Chromebook demonstrated to me that business and productivity web applications are trailing desktop applications in many ways. While I feel like Gmail, as an example, is a match for Outlook or Thunderbird, Google Docs is just not as capable as Word or Excel.

Finally, I wish the Chromebook were larger. Its tiny keyboard can be a pain, but this has as much to do with me as it does the device.

Bottom line, for most users the Chromebook can, in fact, do real work.
04/13/2014 8:47 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
TofuTown
You're pretty much buying a browser. Check out a video by MKBHD on YouTube about Chromebooks.
04/13/2014 8:42 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Architect
ThouGreatness
I think you already know my opinion on this, but I'll post them here anyway

There are very few situations in which I'd recommend a Chromebook. Especially for college, because you extremely limit what you can do with your machine.

I guess it depends on what you're going for, but I still wouldn't recommend a Chromebook
04/13/2014 8:35 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Artist
Squishy Lemon
If it's a college notebook, then I'd personally recommend focusing on the processor, RAM, and Network Card... Sense it's for college, you shouldn't worry about graphics card. I've used a Samsung Chromebook, (surprisingly, it's lasted years) for trips.
04/13/2014 8:39 pm
DrStrad
Performance isn't really a factor with Chromebooks as they're all pretty similar performance wise, and you can't do very much besides use some Google apps and surf the web. I'm looking more for ergonomics and quality.
04/13/2014 8:34 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
MSheezies
It will do well for just college and such work. Small HDD so not really for storing videos, music, or games. Great for school.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome