Does anyone know why Chrome uses so many processes?

Find Them Creepers's Avatar Find Them Creepers12/14/14 7:37 pm
1 emeralds 210 7
12/14/2014 8:06 pm
Find Them Creepers's Avatar Find Them Creepers
I'm seriously considering switching to Firefox or something because Chrome has so many processes open and I don't know which are useless or which is actually the browser. I only have 3 extensions as well, so I have no idea what's causing this. I mean, 19+ processes per session? I'm going to go on a limb and say other browsers don't have this problem.

Click to reveal
Find Them Creepers
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/14/2014 7:49 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
There is a reason other browsers don't have that, it's because they are not as thought out as chrome is.

Google Chrome takes advantage of these properties and puts web apps and plug-ins in separate processes from the browser itself. This means that a rendering engine crash in one web app won’t affect the browser or other web apps. It means the OS can run web apps in parallel to increase their responsiveness, and it means the browser itself won’t lock up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. It also means we can run the rendering engine processes in a restrictive sandbox that helps limit the damage if an exploit does occur.

Basically, each tab has one process unless the tabs are from the same domain. The renderer has a process for itself. Each plug-in will have one and so will each extension that is active.

Which means, it's got so many, so it's better optimized and won't crash on you.

Chrome has its own task manager, to open press "shift + esc".
12/14/2014 8:06 pm
Find Them Creepers
Ok, I'll try it. Thanks for the clarification.
12/14/2014 7:43 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Taco
Nibblets
i have one for each tab?
12/14/2014 7:43 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
PrimeRobot
Oh my.....
12/14/2014 7:40 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
+PixelPirate+
I have noticed this.
12/14/2014 7:40 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder
escape9179
How many tabs do you have open there? My chrome is using 4 processes with only this window open.
12/14/2014 7:47 pm
Find Them Creepers
I closed a few and now I'm at 4 and it's using 14 processes. Perhaps it's because I'm using 64bit chrome?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome