Dungeon Siege 3

Dutchgamer1982's Avatar Dutchgamer198212/25/12 10:36 pm
1 emeralds 312 7
12/26/2012 9:34 pm
Animatrix's Avatar Animatrix
Just bought this game (paid luckely only 10,99 euro for it)
PC edition (I only PLAY pc, I don't see console players as real gamers)

It does not happen often but I hate this game so much (trew away 11 euro) I just have to rant a bit (feel free to join me if you have this same experience with this or sortalike game.

For starters I played Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, and if they were available for win7, I prolly would buy them again.. (my current versions are not supported by win7).
I always thought very highly of dungeon siege, in my opinion it was one of the best single player, offline rpg's there is/was.

When I saw this game in the store, I bought it purely on it's name.. (didn't have any previeuw done stupid me) and I just have to say THIS AINT DUNGEON SIEGE..! it only leeches it's name!

For starters this game is NOT made for pc, no targeted attacks, horrible camera control, the game simply cannot be played on a pc, where controls in DS1 & 2 were suberb.

Next they removed ALL customising of your chars.. what tha.. it aint no RPG!!! how can it be if I cant build multiple chars as I see fit! Names, looks, and stats as it should be.

Furthermore I find items in this game rather dull, DS1 had for it's days an extreme variance on items (littlerly thousands of different items each with a totally unique look and feel) including a lot of sets, this game has no sets what so ever, and looks are kinda alike for all items regardless of stats.

Once more a name of a GREAT pc game is ruined by those FILTHY CONSOLE PLAYERS, and their evil masters.
Dutchgamer1982
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/26/2012 9:34 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Animatrix
elite0072OK. dude, just because you don't like a game, think its crap just because it is new and from other companies does NOT mean you can just talk badly about consoles, technically a console IS a computer, just without all of the same programming, they both have software, and both have memory units, and both have games available, not to mention that consoles can now use internet! even google and search browsers like that. just admit it, consoles are no different than computers in terms of gaming, plus, why are we talking about Dungeon Seige 3 on Planet Minecraft!!!! MINECRAFT not Dungeon Seige 3!!! just stop crying about consoles making your kind of game in their version.

lolwat

Also, "everything else" means everything else. It's quite alright to discuss other games on this site, just in the appropriate areas (such as this one).
12/26/2012 8:20 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
elite0072
OK. dude, just because you don't like a game, think its crap just because it is new and from other companies does NOT mean you can just talk badly about consoles, technically a console IS a computer, just without all of the same programming, they both have software, and both have memory units, and both have games available, not to mention that consoles can now use internet! even google and search browsers like that. just admit it, consoles are no different than computers in terms of gaming, plus, why are we talking about Dungeon Seige 3 on Planet Minecraft!!!! MINECRAFT not Dungeon Seige 3!!! just stop crying about consoles making your kind of game in their version.
12/26/2012 5:06 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Animatrix
Console gaming is still gaming, but it's no new topic that PC games/gaming is far superior to console gaming in almost every way.

However, back on topic, Dungeon Siege 3 was utter crap. I bought it on XboX, and have played no other Dungeon Siege games, and I sure as hell am not playing any more. The camera angle and combat in general was awful. What little lore there was was boring and did not envelop me into the world like other similar RPGs did (Diablo, Icewind Dale, even Dragon Quest IX). NPCs were generic, uninteresting and run-of the mill. The animations were badly done and the entire game was a chore to play through. So much so that I only put around (forced myself to) put ~10 hours into it. It's not even worth the £15 I paid for it.
As an XboX game, it was bad. Don't blame a bad port or the console-friendly basis on us console users, blame the goddamn devs for making a crappy game.

OP seems to have a lot to say about the history and evolution of gaming, I advise creating another thread with that as the topic.
12/26/2012 4:52 pm
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
I think your also forgetting the fact that consoles like the Wii and add-ons like Kinect and that bring a new experience, of motion and having these games, where you take control of a player, using your body. Console gaming is in fact also easier for more people, such as when I first started playing games. The first pc game I ever got was Shrek the Third. I loved the game, but I found the pc controls were confusing and such. But I played games such as tekken, fifa and even some games like tom clancy before that on my playstation 2. I was great, I loved them so much! I played them, and just enjoyed it. But those pc controls felt weird. I now use both my ps3 and pc for gaming. PC in terms of ability is, of course better. But in terms of profitisation, games have a wider appeal on console, as more people find console gaming easier than pc. Sometimes developers do decide the wrong moves, but also the game, just because the controls are bad doesn't mean its a bad game. I hate the combat system in Minecraft, yet I still play on PvP servers and such and love Minecraft. I hate the way you can climb mountains in Skyrim, yet I still play Skyrim. I dislike the way Deus Ex: Human Revolution has its controls, yet I love the game. It is still a good game. People in general who I watched review it, say its a good game, it still have a hack and slash feel, it may not be the best like the original games, but sometimes developers make the wrong choices.
12/26/2012 5:06 am
Dutchgamer1982
So your line is not true.. without consoles there would still be REAL PROPER pc gaming.
the console came later.
12/26/2012 5:05 am
Dutchgamer1982
You NEVER can get a refund on PC games.
Not in my nation.

They ceased doing that years ago, because people made copy's and than brought the game back, or worse, used the INSTALATION CODE to register the game, so the next person buying the game cant.

And it's not about that 11 euro's..
It's the same story all over :

*small game devolper made GREAT pc games
*big invester buys out game developer to get name rights
*fires the old team, and just makes something sloppy/crappy than launches a big advertisement.
*pissing of many people who bought the previous parts of that game and than find out it is nothing like it at all.

It would be the equavalent of somebody buying Prince of Persia (clearly an A-brand console game) picks a random Meager pc game of it's shelf and tapes that name on it, and has the brutality to sell it as IF it were the succesor (though it clearly is not) while it is not even properly playable on a console.

Next about them consoles themselves : I am an old gamer.. playing games for over 25 years, I have gamed on the commendore 64, played under dos, win 3.1 and so on.
I started playing games of casette disk, you had to manually type commands to load them, and they took 45 minutes to load..
I have seen the rise of the 5 3/4 floppy disk, playing text-rpg's, and adventure-games (a genre sadly no longer produced, exept for kids (freddy fish kinda games, but they used to make mature verions of such games too), seen the switch to 1,44MB floppy's, first single side, than double side, seen the rise and fall of zipdrives, seen the cd, dvd and blu rey coming. Heck for most of my gaming years the internet did not even excist.
I have played the first RTS and TBS games, and have been hooked on them from the start
Most game genre's did not even excist back than and I have seen the gaming industry coming up from next to nothing to what it is today.
As such I know my games better than people just starting to play today.
for I compare each new game with those old onces in mind.

Let me take you a step back in time, about 20 years :
game stores had about 3/4 pc games, (usually over 400 titles in stock) and there was a strict division between pc games and console games. cross over were near to not excisting.
And that was good, because PC games usually were a LOT better, in fact they were so heavy on your pc, that even if you HAD a 3000+ euro gaming machine you just bought (and most gamers in that era did that once every 3 years) that game would not be playable on maximum settings. it usually took over a year of new hardware released before an "insane" 10.000+ euro pc could play it on maximum settings, and even longer for normal gaming pc's to do that.

That was good, that ment that pc games were made at the top of their ability, were consoles just can do less, and had their own games, sounds fair not?

tring to compare the potential of a console and a pc is like well, tring to compare what you have in your fridge on a regulair day, with a fully equipped 5 star cuisine restaurant, surely you can cook with both, but you can do so much more with those 5 star ingredients.

there were many small developers, and many new unique titles apeared many of them getting huge fanbase under those pc gamers.
the RTS/TBS and even the RPG pc market even in those days was a small niche, most games for pc were racing, or shooters, but it was a loyal niche, if you liked RTS/TBS you owned every title that was possible, though that also ment that IF that commity generally did not like your game.. it could mean the end of your compagny.
That made competition stiff, and pc games better.
Thats why the did they very best to produce excelent games and till the days of today
most of the best games were made in that '90s & early "00 era.

Also we did not have DLC or such, we bought the game on whatever datastorage it came, and bought in that same store the 1 or 2 add-ones if and when they came.
And an addone usually was also very good, since they could not afford bad experiences.
(those "michalain stars" were all that were keeping them afloat)

Oh how I miss those days, for I have slowly see it change and most of that change is because of consoles.

For starters those stores now sell only 15% pc games, and have only about 40 titles in stock.
I have to order my games online most of the time for that reason.
That is not because pc gamers are less in number than there are today, but because there are more console gamers.

Like it always goes, crooks smelled money, and money now dictates the game industry, rather than producing good games.

There still would be money to be made the old, proper way, but there is more money to be made selling junk wrapped up nice. Some may call that the maturing of the gaming marked, I call it the end of real gaming.

and this greed for money has ruined almost ALL of that gaming era/style I loved so much.
and yes consoles ARE to blame for it for the most part :

there are more people playing on console than on pc, just as more people will have that frying pan, than people will have a 5 star gourmet kitchen.
so you see, they changed from making games specifficly for pc or console, to multiplatform.
surely that drove up sales, with little change for them console players, but what did it do for pc gamers? :

*there is hardly a pc only game to find anymore, hurting pc market share even more
*most pc games that newly arive can even be played on a laptop I bought 5 years ago for 600 euro, they don't use the potential of pc's what so ever
*gaming complexity (pallet), and general experience (jueve d'vivre) have been reduced severely. that console gamers like fish and chips ok, but why did they have to take my gourmet away and try to feed me that crap, or force me to only remember fondly a lost era.
I am talking about a real dropback, so that the previous pc only game in a series sometimes 8 or more years old, is actually better than a brand new release because of that new one being multiplayer.
*instead of clear releases of game and addones, DLC is introduced (because of consoles) this is anoying, expecially in multiplayer, buying victory's is not done for real gamers, it is to us like cheating. we pc gamers want to have a clear concept of "vanilla game", modding we do ourselves. And if one wants a game plus ALL it's DLC, one needs to spend a lot more than one used to on classic releases. so we get a crappier product for 3-5 times what we used to pay.

Other developments : instead of the hundreds of small developers, we now have a few big names (EA mostly) buying out all the others. This makes them "to big to fail" and those behomoths have no "feeling for gaming" no passion for their product and no fear of bankrupcy to keep them sharp, so they don't make games as good as the old onces used to do. (just as big box stores replacing small retailes results in loss of quality and service)

Finally there is the shift many RTS/TBS games switch to online versions, age of empires, the settlers and warcraft did this and it not very well.

So first there was the drop in quality, because we had to pay per month for a whole different genre (effectively meaning game over for the games we liked, regardless of the new ones are good also) (less for more)
And next even those online games suffer of console-degradation. online gamers used to be P2P, and high in complexity, now most are free to play (but with a lot of "dlc" that makes "free" in reality "a lot more expensive with more noobs"), and are generally dummed down to be better playable by a younger audience (12 year olds is a hatred internet meme for a reason).

So now you see, why I hate console gaming. they totally ruined the gaming I used to love.
12/25/2012 11:03 pm
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
I want to say, I have never played Dungeon Siege 3 but have seen it around before.

But, to my point. How can you say, a CONSOLE (designed to play games, the first thing to play games and so on) is not real gaming? With any consoles their wouldn't be any pc gaming, but if there was, it would be very weak as it would of only been available recently.

Also, please not that different companies and people have different ideas of where a game should direct. Just like Halo became Xbox exclusive, Dungeon Siege 3 decided to go towards console gaming, which can be very fun. The only problem is its harder to get a full proper experience on consoles as things tend to be a bit more expensive. Plus, don't go rage and take it out on console gamers just because you bought a game that you thought wasn't very good.

Finally, take it back, ask for a refund and buy a game you want.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome