Emulate pc overheating

Karrfis's Avatar Karrfis12/14/15 6:19 am
12/16/2015 3:13 pm
CompositionC4's Avatar CompositionC4
For this assignment i need to talk about computer overheating, now i need screenshots to back up the writing bit, is there any way i can simulate the computer to overheat without breaking/disabling the fan in the pc
Karrfis
Site Moderator
Level 35 : Artisan Birb

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/16/2015 3:13 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
CompositionC4
To be honest, anything remotely new will just throttle, either down to a reasonable temp or off completely, depending on how much overkill you want to go to. I don't know what you are trying to achieve, as getting it to literally overheat is most likely not gonna work unless you do some serious modding. Computers are designed to stay alive!
12/16/2015 2:56 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Jaevyn
If you really wanted to have fun take a couple computers, LAN them together, disconnect the fans and boot up Minecraft or something and "duel" do the death. Last machine standing wins.

I like the way you think.
12/16/2015 4:26 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
MomoMomiji
Erm, what. For the purpose of the assignment itself, I would talk about component specifications. I don't know how indepth the project is meant to be, but frankly I find it much easier to go to the data sheets and highlight the "Preformance" vs Temperature graphs provided there, along with showing the drift factors; you don't have to do any testing on your own, as professionals have already done so.

If the course isn't that indepth, then talking about temperature vs lifespan is always a viable option, where the lightbulb analogy applies: Both a computer and a lightbulb can be tweaked for increased performance (overclocking vs over voltage), however in both cases there are risks of failure (crashes vs early burn-out), and at the very least the component will suffer from a decreased lifespan.
12/16/2015 4:09 am
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
to be honest it doesn't matter if there is damage done, we are using old college pcs that don't really matter if they break, there are loads and loads of old pcs there so we can just witch parts out
12/16/2015 4:15 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Jaevyn
Vacuum your whole apartment and then take the collection and dump it into the PC, fans, everything. Simulate what a dirty computer would be like, that will sort of help it naturally overheat. Or you can always put a space heater beside the intake and just pump in really hot air. If that doesn't do it just start disconnecting fans and running as much as you can on it, removing the heatsinks will cause them to pop fast.

If you really wanted to have fun take a couple computers, LAN them together, disconnect the fans and boot up Minecraft or something and "duel" do the death. Last machine standing wins.
12/16/2015 12:07 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Lumberjack
Sergeant Sarcasm
guestds
vomit
guestds

1: i said a warning
2: i didnt say anything about it being wet and i think if wet it will heat up slightly faster

The air has water molecules floating around in it constantly, that's what humidity is. Condensation is the accumulation of those water droplets when the air cannot hold any more, and this could be triggered by temperature changes. The cloth has more surface area due to the fibers that make it up, this would provide more room for water to accumulate and thus become wet.

Also, I wouldn't do anything that would come close to overheating a computer. I would use the internet as a resource to find out what happens when a computer overheats rather than trying to make one do it for you. You could run the risk of permanent damage.
12/16/2015 12:01 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Computers these days don't overheat unless there's something wrong with them. The parts that get hot are literally designed to throttle if they get too hot. If you want to "simulate" a part overheating, you're gonna have to break something (preferably something old that you don't care about).
12/15/2015 11:47 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
vomit
guestds

1: i said a warning
2: i didnt say anything about it being wet and i think if wet it will heat up slightly faster
12/15/2015 10:59 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
Yeah, my laptop just shuts down. It does that a lot.
12/14/2015 11:23 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
put a cloth either i think it works best where the fan is getting the air from or the warm air coming out blocking it with cloth or use a blanket but my pc doesnt overheat and theres a blanket where the fan blows out even playing gta 5 doesnt heat and for those who are wondering:

Emulation: In computing, an emulator is hardware or software that enables one computer system (called the host) to behave like another computer system (called the guest). An emulator typically enables the host system to run software or use peripheral devices designed for the guest system.

Ex: majoras mask is meant for n64 but can be emulated on pc with an emulator

Simulation: Simulation is the imitation of the operation of a real-world process or system over time. The act of simulating something first requires that a model be developed; this model represents the key characteristics or behaviors/functions of the selected physical or abstract system or process.

Ex: gta 5 is simulating real life theft

i think for OP they need sim not emu but if you want to simulate overheating bring in a blanket and either bring a pc/laptop in and block the fans area for getting air and blowing it out or a better less risky thing that has low chances of damaging anything is get someone to come up and have them put the blanket over them and theyll be trapped in heat but if you want to bring the pc/laptop but dont want to block it with the blanket using your hand will work and youll be able to move your hand once its too hot so you dont cause a fireand it wont damage the pc/laptop (it shouldnt atleast im not responsible if you cause a fire as im warning now)
12/14/2015 12:17 pm
Level 23 : Expert Crab
Morneite
There's a chance the cloth may cause condensation though. If any of the water droplets happen to gain access to the inside of the vent, this could cause short-circuiting. Besides, blocking the vent in any way is dangerous. if the vent gets too hot, there's a chance the plastic outer shell could become distorted, and condensation could, as previously mentioned, damage the motherboard and other components in the form of a short-circuit.

As for OP, i think it's best to just look up some images. That's what the internet is for
12/14/2015 10:31 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Mage
ssproad
You could use CPU-burn
12/14/2015 9:17 am
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Sailor
Captain_NA
I dont really understand your issue, you wants som pictures of a overheated computer??? The easy way would just be foto editing. If you send me screenshots of temps can i edit the screenshots to show a high temprature. I just need to know what your specs are. You could maybe take a screenshot showing the "speccy" info. Then can i both see the temprature and the specs.

Almost all modern CPU's anf GPU's have a max temprature, if it gets higher will the system turn off. So we need to edit the temprature to a aoumt lower than the max, cuz else would it be easy to see its a fake sinze most desktop CPU's will shut down the system when it gets over 80. But send me a speccy screenshot and i'll find out what your CPU's max temp is, and then do some photoediting.

You can also disconnect your fan, and taking screenshots of the CPU getting hotter and hotter, but this is unnessecary and stupid. Even if it proberly aint going to kill your system is it not good for the hardware. If you have a old computer, then would it be a nice little experiment.

If you want i have a cuple of old laptops and workstations i can experiment on.
I work as an IT Supporter, you can add me on skype if you need anyhelp.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome