Help With DLC

irritatedCat's Avatar irritatedCat12/2/14 8:53 pm
1 emeralds 942 4
12/3/2014 10:53 pm
YourLocalFloridian's Avatar YourLocalFloridian
Everyone who has plenty of gaming experience has likely seen DLC. What is DLC? DLC is when you have to ability to get extra features of a videogame, such as new armor, or custom maps. All that is required is to pay a small fine. There are many mixed opinions on this, such as, "Couldn't that be unfair to some people, considering they already want to get the full potential out of a game with one single purchase?" Others believe, "This is a great way to enhance the quality of videogames, as many already have content galore." It is a hard decision to make. Perhaps you want to, and you're willing to pile up that change you've been saving up in your piggybank. Perhaps you are unsure, believing that it would give an unfair advantage. Perhaps you need help deciding, is it right? In this blog, I will dive into DLC and help you make a choice suited to you.

What is DLC?

DLC, also known as Downloadable Content, is selling a small "pack" of content, like armor, or maybe a few maps. These are usually sold at a considerably lower price than the videogame itself, being just a little pipe expanding the game. This can relate to real life. You can get just a normal vacuum cleaner, but with just 5 more dollars you can get an attachment that makes it even longer.

How could this be unfair?

When it has to do with money, they're scams. Scams are deals that aren't simply worth the money. As they are not as appearing at a large scale, be careful what you pay for! A few ways to find scams are:
Check ratings online. This helps give you some insight on what you are buying.
See the price. Most DLC's are usually 5 - 10$, so if it's higher, be a little more suspicious.
Analyze what it has to offer! Does it fulfill your wishes?
Putting all of this into account can help find the right DLC.
There are a few types of DLC. Multiplayer DLC is usually okay. There are two types of Multiplayer DLC, such as passive and agressive. Passive includes some nice features, usually character cutomization or maybe just a couple different weapon skins. However, sometimes it can give players a giant advantage, such as a new lazer arm cannon, or level 40032 armor. It depends on who the person is. If they have that DLC, they will love it. But if they don't, they hate it. I wouldn't catergorize as fair or square, but just remember that it gives a huge adavantage, so if you're really competitive, you might just get it.
DLC money scams.

There are multiple types of DLC money scams, but the one I hate the most are ones that come out when the game releases. This is absolutely outragous. It's a sign that they just want your money. A lot of games do this, and it doesn't mean it's terrible, but this still is a way to scam people out of their money. They had a choice to add those small, little, map packs, but nope! And it also goes along with the price of videogames these days. 60 bucks for just one game. And they didn't think that was enough? What people should work on is the game, and not a few extra bucks. Using Nintendo as a source, they were kind enough to not "adding things later that should have been there from the start." Of course, Mewtwo will be paid DLC later on, but they alreay jam packed the game with enough content for us to enjoy for a couple months.

Sources: Sakurai Interview
irritatedCat
Level 19 : Journeyman Network