Lock For Laptop?

Woodilicious's Avatar Woodilicious12/19/14 11:03 pm
12/20/2014 7:07 pm
48productions's Avatar 48productions
Hey guys...
Today, for what seems like the 50th time, an (insert curse word) wiped my laptop's SSD, thinking that he's a hacker. This has happened on many occasions before, and I'm tired of having to re-install Linux, as well as all of my other programs. The story of why this keeps happening is at the bottom, for those who want to read a tale about the wannabe hacker.

Anyway, I've had enough of this. I've constantly told him to stop touching my laptop, but he still finds a way to steal it and "hack" it. And when he gets it from me, I've told him literally over 100 times to not turn on OS verification. If I had a nickel for every time I told him to press ctrl+D on startup, I'd be richer than Bill Gates.
(For those who don't know, my laptop is a Chromebook which has basically been Jailbroken like an iPhone. Turning on OS verification is like making a factory reset.)

Basically, all I'm here for is to ask if there is anything like a lock for a laptop that I can get, which will keep unwanted people out of it. There is a kensington lock port on the side of it, but I'm not sure if there's such thing as a Kensington Lock for keeping the thing shut.

The Tale of the Wannabe Hacker
So as you may or may not know, I am a sophomore in high school. (Grade 10, or Year 11). I've known this kid since I was in 5th grade (year 6). He thinks he's the coolest kid on the planet. He claims to be a professional at everything. He thinks he's an expert at computers because he owns an extremely old Alienware desktop. He basically thinks that he's super smart, super attractive, super funny, super cool, super good at computers, and a super good hacker. He thinks he's a hacker because he's in a Java class. The Java class is an elective (optional class) for people my age at my school. Most of the people my age at my school are taking the same class. However, this "hacker" is getting an awful grade. But he thinks he's a hacker because his father works in software engineering, with C++, which he claims to be an expert at, himself. (Side note: He is garbage at that as well. I asked him for some proof of his knowledge of C++, so he wrote the "Hello World" program in Python, but used all caps. I don't know a single thing about C++, but I am like 90% sure that that's wrong.) Anyway, so our little "hacker" thinks he's super good at computers. He constantly rips on the fact that I have a Chromebook, which was a $150 laptop. His $300 laptop, which he brings to school every few days, has basically a little bit better specs than mine. However, in a benchmark test, I got 60fps in Minecraft at medium settings, and he managed to get 10fps at the same settings. This "Software Genius" doesn't understand the difference between a heavy OS (Windows) and a light OS (Ubuntu).
Well, anyway, for a bit more back-story on him, he brags about hacking everyone and everything. He also says that he gets hacked a lot too, because he hacks everyone. I asked him one day what he uses to "hack". His response? "Oh, I use a Password Cracker, you can download them like anywhere on the Internet. You have to like complete a survey for it, though." Seriously. Our "Hacker" isn't even using real hacking abilities. Even if password crackers did work, that isn't hacking.

Anyway, so getting to the part where he keeps wiping my SSD-- After school every day, he attempts to steal my laptop and get into it. Luckily, I've set this up to not allow Guest users, and to only allow myself to log in. My password is pretty long and complex, without any real words, and has each character a different part of text. So whenever he gets my laptop, he tries stupid passwords like "I am gay" and "I am a f****t" as if they're going to work, because he's soooo funny. -_-
Anyway, when he gets to the "hacking" he turns the laptop off. When he turns it back on, I make sure to tell him, "Do Not Turn on OS Verification. Press Ctrl+D to Turn it On." Can you guess what he does? He turns OS verification on, because it's "How to hack easier". Anyway, that wipes my entire SSD, uninstalling all of my programs, and Ubuntu, which took hours to install. This is why I'm looking for a lock.
Woodilicious
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead

Create an account or sign in to comment.

48productions
12/20/2014 7:07 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
dog51848The only thing I could think of that would work out effectively in the end is telling your school's administration.

^ This. You should tell someone else about the problem, and hopefully they will help stop this.

As for now, (as mentioned before) keep your laptop's battery/charging cord with you. Unless he can source a battery, this will stop him. Even better, just keep the laptop with you or somewhere safe like a locker or at home.
Colonellooo
12/20/2014 6:39 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
The only thing I could think of that would work out effectively in the end is telling your school's administration. It's the best way to get him to stop. Most of these other things here involve you doing something to his computer which will make him want to mess with your's even more.
Skeltal
12/20/2014 5:49 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Princess
-snip-
_ENDER_DRAGON_
12/20/2014 11:02 am
Level 26 : Expert Dragon
Bios lock it.
RoboShadow
12/20/2014 11:13 am
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
Take out the auto-boot locations so it has to be done manually.
n8mo
12/20/2014 12:11 am
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
Good ole' padlock and chain should keep him out of that laptop!

That or delete his OS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Phush
12/20/2014 12:39 am
Level 40 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
The only problem is that can be solved by bolt cutters. You want something like this. However you might not be able to easily find a chain big enough that would go around his laptop without damaging the laptop.
generalcedric
12/20/2014 12:10 am
Level 30 : Artisan Modder
Ok, so u say he has windows rite?

Get KonBoot from some shady site, if he has win7/8 you can instantly log in to his account no password required

Ur in his computer, now go screw up things
(Take passwords from cookies i think, change facebook stuff, ect)
generalcedric
12/20/2014 6:36 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Modder
Delete system32
Skeltal
12/20/2014 12:08 am
TheShadbusher
Skelly_Toon
for example,like government stuff,right?

Or stealing someone's critical private information, like bank account info.

ok,so I guess it's legal.
Leeberator
12/20/2014 12:03 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Skelly_Toon

Or stealing someone's critical private information, like bank account info.
Skeltal
12/19/2014 11:55 pm
TheShadbusher
-Woody-
TheShadbusher
Or better yet, burn a Hiren's Boot CD (or USB stick), boot from it on his laptop, and get his account passwords. That'd teach that script kitty how to "hack," lol.

Lol is that even legal?

It's only illegal if you use it illegally.

Leeberator
12/19/2014 11:49 pm
-Woody-
TheShadbusher
Or better yet, burn a Hiren's Boot CD (or USB stick), boot from it on his laptop, and get his account passwords. That'd teach that script kitty how to "hack," lol.

Lol is that even legal?

It's only illegal if you use it illegally.
Skeltal
12/19/2014 11:49 pm
-Woody-
TheShadbusher

Lol is that even legal?

probably is.
nt.
Woodilicious
12/19/2014 11:48 pm
TheShadbusher

Lol is that even legal?
Skeltal
12/19/2014 11:43 pm
also,why don't you try changing the OS Verification keys?

I don't know if that's possible,but if it is,then it's sure to work.
Woodilicious
12/19/2014 11:44 pm
It's unfortunately not possible. I've tried this before, lol.
Skeltal
12/19/2014 11:45 pm
"If you've tried,and then failed,TRY HARDER"
-That Psycho Gym Teacher That I Had
RoboShadow
12/19/2014 11:31 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
Wave a powerful magnet over his laptop. It'll get rekt and no hacking involved.
Skeltal
12/19/2014 11:42 pm
I'd go with this option.
12/19/2014 11:25 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Or change his DNS settings so it shows a page that says he has been hacked. No "real" hacking involved...

I don't know if that's the correct way. But I know there is some way to make it so any website the person visits it shows something else instead.
Leeberator
12/19/2014 11:10 pm
Wipe his laptop.

They don't make locks that keep laptops closed. You could maybe just take the battery out? Or lock the laptop in your backpack?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome